Proteus Club Burns Down!! - Illegitimate sodomites!!!

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
Dee

Post by Dee » Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:08 pm

Really sorry to hear this news - our Church was firebombed shortly after Christmas; completely destroyed a valuable and famous (in such circles) organ. We still have walls and a bit of a roof but it will take some time to rebuild. So sad that some youngsters get more excitement out of destruction that in developing a new skill. Perhaps if the culprits are found then there punnishment should be to kayak daily in the cold winter months and litter pick after all your slaloms, it might just make them understand some of what they destroyed!

Sorry we don't have anything in the way of spare kit - we sold our old boat at your winter slalom to a young lad that was just taking up kayaking and buying his first boat!

Lots of sympathy though
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

Dee

Post by Dee » Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:17 pm

Kate - Don't know if you have "lost" your new C1, but if so you're welcome to have your old C1 back until you sort something out.
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

Clem

Post by Clem » Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:44 pm

Colin

Sorry to hear about the fire and the clubhouse. I am liasing with Roger to see if there are any bits Y Paddle can help out with.

Clem
Once upon a time, in a C2..........

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:31 am

More photos posted, lots of local press, and hit the lead in the Anglia regional news, and was on central region news as well.

Thanks to a local company (who also sponsor Campbell) we now have an online web donation page for anyone who is feeling financially generous. All amounts fratefully received.

Donation Page
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

briman

Post by briman » Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:48 am

Sorry to hear this news.
I've sent a mail round to Baldock & District CC to see what kit we can get for you. we have a couple of pairs of paddles and a few other bits at the very least. I'll drop you a mail off list to see how we can get the kit to you.

Cheers,

Brian

Daf

Post by Daf » Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:17 pm

Sorry to hear about the fire. Its really terrible when everyone's hard work is destroyed by a couple of yobs.

I have some old kit and Nomad blades to donate, I'm in Nottingham so let me know the best way to get them to you.

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:29 pm

Getting Kit from Nottingham can be acheived in two ways:
Some of Proteus are also members of HPP club and are often there on Thursday nights.

A member of the Sports Management Committee lives nearby, and has offered to collect kit from Nottingham, or the NEC, and has a fairly mobile job, so may be able to help there. Send me a PM, or ring me (01733 205621 may be answered by my wife if I am not home) and we will see what can be arranged.
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.

eauxvives.org

Post by eauxvives.org » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:27 am

sorry to hear that. This is very similar to what happened to the french club Selestat last fall. We had put a webpage for this (sorry it is in french) at http://www.eauxvives.org/selestat/

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:45 pm

Rude words. It seems that the insurance stopped covering the buildign a few years ago and no one noticed! :(
We will therefore be doing everything ourselves.

Sorry if I have not got back to any of you that have generously offered kit. I am trying to do so today or tomorrow, then will be doing the rounds collecting it.

Now need to look for grants/cheap buildings/manpower to clear the site. Deep joy!

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:28 am

Ouch!

We had a similar problem when our clubhouse got burnt down as we were on a flood plain the insurance would not pay for a new building, we ended up getting some 30' containers which had been converted into site offices with all the electric's in them and have used these as changing rooms, with some more containers as storage, not as pretty as a clubhouse, but a lot more secure and vandal/arson proof.

The price was quite good as well, I think we got all three containers delivered and sited for about £1500.00, might be worth a thought?
Paddle fast,,,Paddle safe Yorkshire Canoe Coaching

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:51 am

Thanks Geebs already on the track of such buildings.

After a generous donation by Staff & Stone Canoe club (and Dave Royle) There will be someone at Stone mini this weekend, do if you are feeling generous come along, have fun paddling and donations gratefully received. :D

Just let me know if you are bringing a boat - I have to ensure we have enough roof/trailer space.

Paddles and other kit can go inside cars though, and money is even easier to carry :cool:

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:09 pm

Thanks to all who donated equipment or money today.
Next weekend, I will be going to Shepperton (Sunday if the Div 1 is on, if not Saturday), again collecting form generous benefactors. Kate Kent will be at the Tees that weekend for a training session if it is easier to get there. :D

Serious point :( Can all clubs please check their insurance. Our buildings were insured once, the letter with the renewal two years ago mentioned the buildings as covered. BUT the policy did not, and did not this year. So we had no buildings cover. It is your responsibility to understand what is covered, so please check.

AND Individuals, if your boat is not at home, is it insured? If it is stored at HPP, at slalom control burns down, does your household insurance cover it. Better to check now before you get in this situation.

Keep smiling and paddling.

SteveM
Site Admin

Post by SteveM » Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:41 pm

Just wanted to register my digust for the people who did this, and the best of luck with getting a new building sorted out.

What a nightmare :(

Steve

Gladys

Post by Gladys » Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:50 pm

Have just bought my daughter a second-hand boat so have an old Fusion that has been cut down to pretend it is a short boat. Our new boat needs a few repairs so once these have been done you are more than welcome to have the old boat, I might even have a very old small slalom boat suitable for a small child up to the age of 1o possibly 11 years. Also have some old paddles and a various amount of kit including 2 or 3 buoyancy aids, short cags, spraydecks but it is all fairly old. We will be at the Stone Div 3, Sowerby Bridge and the Div 2 at Matlock if you are interested.

Dee

Post by Dee » Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:53 pm

If no-one from Proteus is going to those events, then we will be at Matlock and Sowerby Bridge and can pick some kit up. David comes up to Peterborough every couple of weeks or so and can drop off when he's up there. Round about route, I know, but.....