Post by Gill » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:07 pm

Can't we change the categories to:

Under 12
Under 14
Under 16 - as at 1st of Jan

Save the confusion

FatBoy

Post by FatBoy » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:31 am

Guest wrote:Two paddlers wer J14 correctly on the Saturday at Matlock, & then back to J12's the day after!!!

That was my fault as these only got corrected on one set of entries when the DOBs on the card were checked - they got corrected first thing yesterday when I remembered. There were actually only 3 competitors who got their ages wrong out of the 150 odd so perhaps it isn't that big a problem?

The wording is a bit confusing. The simple way of doing it is to subtract the year of birth from the current year (then round up to nearest even number).

The weird one is when you get to DV (impending for me). It doesn't work the same way. It's the year you get 36 from the above sum, unless you're born on 1st Jan when it is 35. Inconsistent?

PS Results still provisional - we're finding a few (very few) mistakes in transposition from the cards. A downside of getting them up so early on to the web! Hopefully final version subject to checking by ranking compilers etc will be up later today.

parent

Post by parent » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:51 am

On behalf of newbie canoeing parents I think Sherpas simple table is good - could be made into a poster that gets sent to event organiser with the other paraphernalia, and would help those who are just at the beginning of supporting their children in this sport.

BrianK

Post by BrianK » Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:36 pm

Dave, the problem is aided by Slasoft. When inputting age there is the option of entering the full date of birth OR by just one keystoke entering the age category using the appropriate F-button. Guess which option the Organiser is going to choose ?
As for prizes, I give them to the youngest person eligible, so no reason a J-14 cannot win a J-18 prize. Unless of course the event is split between age groups as in British Juniors.