Age & 'right' class - Agreement

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
Seedy Paddler

Post by Seedy Paddler » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:05 pm

One for the various Organisers and perhaps the Exec to include in future Organiser Packs. We make up a poster (A4) with the qualifying dates for the various age groups that is set-up by control. Check where your date of birth is against the poster and circle the correct class. Simple for parents/teachers/coaches when filling in entry cards, readily checked on receipt of entry only fails when the DoB is in error - we have even had ante-natal entries according to the cards.

Perhaps BCU could generate a basic sign to go along with the various risk disclaimers that could be included in future packs.

Remember at most Div 4s you will be lucky if half the entrants have access to a yearbook other than the organisers copy in control (all those that were whingeing about getting extra copies - head off to your local Div 4 slalom and generously donate them to some up and coming future star)

:p

PS
1st J18 - John Brown
1st J16 - Ed Morris
1st J14 - Joe Bloggs

Unfortunately Johnnie Brown disqualified for lieing about his age - he is older than me (unfortunately he is also still beating me!) :(

Dee

Post by Dee » Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:01 am

It may be suggested that some parents are entering juniors into the wrong age group so that they pick up the awards

I think this is unlikely - far more likely that they are just confused which age group they should be in. I must admit that I always enter dob into slasoft - and ignore category on card. If the dob is "antenatal" then I would assume Senior until the paddler concerned reported otherwise.

All this applies to DVs too.
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

Very confused

Post by Very confused » Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:04 am

At the British Open at Llandysul last year, ages were put by names i.e. J11, J12, J13 etc... There are still some who were J12's last year at that event (so presumably age 12 last year), who this year are still paddling as J12 and must now be J13???

Disillusioned

Post by Disillusioned » Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:30 pm

Division one paddlers really should know what age group they are paddling in!!!
If you are:
13 any time this year you are J14
15 any time this year you are J16

It may seem tough, but when we see paddlers who you know are 13 this year and not got the right category on their card, paddling alongside others who are also probably only 12 but 13 this year and have put the correct age category and struggling against the J14's it appears hard on young kids.

I don't blame the organisers, surely if you have paddled through div 4 and 3 and up in div 1 02 you should have worked out the rules by now!

fishy

Post by fishy » Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:37 pm

just out of intersted what is the difference between DV and V? and wot age do u becamoe a veteran?

Dee

Post by Dee » Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:29 am

DV (Divisional vetran) is an "oldie" who continues to compete in main ranking events.

V is an oldie who has "opted out" of the main ranking events to compete in parallel vetran events. These take place alongside main events. Go to a div 2 and you'll often see a couple of "Vets" cards for Div 2 Vets. These aren't included in the div 2 winning lists; they have a separate competition.

You get classed as an "oldie" when you are over 34 on the 1st Jan in the current year. Yes I know, very sad....
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

fishy

Post by fishy » Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:13 pm

ok thanks

Cheesed

Post by Cheesed » Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:25 pm

When will people realise the age class they should be paddling? There are J12's who are J13 down on the Matlock list. It really isn't fair on i) the J13's who get it right and put J14 on their card, possibly making the chance of a prize harder; and ii) the actual J12's who might miss out on prizes.

P.S. Excellent how Matlock has put all the entries on the web!

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:46 am

Guest wrote:P.S. Excellent how Matlock has put all the entries on the web!

Here Here :D
Paddle fast,,,Paddle safe Yorkshire Canoe Coaching

not thick

Post by not thick » Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:52 pm

i dont understand the complication or why people are getting confused...... the date is there....they either fall before or after it ??? why is that hard

fed up

Post by fed up » Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:56 pm

:( It's not hard, some parents chose to put their children into the wrong division even though their entries get changed by vigilent organisers, why, ask them. If organisers of events continue their scrutiny perhaps they will get fed up and enter them in the right age group

Boat Sherpa

Post by Boat Sherpa » Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:45 pm

I believe the problem comes down to the wording in the rule book. I suspect parents are misunderstanding the rule which states "Junior 12 - 12th birthday on or after 1st January" as meaning "Junior 12 - 12 years old on or after 1st January", i.e. if they are still 12 at the beginning of the year then they are still a J12 that year which is of course wrong.

I would like to suggest that Nick Penfold posts something on the website that makes it clearer for all concerned and that Slalom Event organisers post the same information in a prominent place for all parents to read.

The rule could either read something like "Junior 12 - 11 years old or younger at the end of the previous year", which is still a little confusing.

Better still would be a table that lists the year of birth and the junior category that applies to it, e.g.

Junior 12 - 1994 or later
Junior 14 - 1993
Junior 14 - 1992
Junior 16 - 1991
Junior 16 - 1990
etc.

What does everybody think?

geust

Post by geust » Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:50 pm

How can you make it clearer?!? if someone is unable to understand it, then jesus, is the parent capable of looking after a child.

If the child is 12 ON or AFTER the 1st of jan, they are J12 ??? etc

how can you possibly not understand that

cross!!

Post by cross!! » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:13 pm

Guest wrote:How can you make it clearer?!? if someone is unable to understand it, then jesus, is the parent capable of looking after a child.

If the child is 12 ON or AFTER the 1st of jan, they are J12 ??? etc

how can you possibly not understand that
Sherpa's ages and years are correct. It needs more visibility and publishing each year book

parent

Post by parent » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:22 pm

Guest wrote:If the child is 12 ON or AFTER the 1st of jan,
"goes 12 on or after Jan 1st"

This really does need sorting soon.
Two paddlers wer J14 correctly on the Saturday at
Matlock, & then back to J12's the day after!!!