boat weighing

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
tooth

Post by tooth » Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:09 pm

does anybody know if boats are going to be weighed at Tees div1/prem weekend? there are a lot of shiny new boats out there and i'll bet that most are too light (even with airbags, whatever they are)
if weighing is left until later this only puts us older and bigger paddlers with creaking boats at even more of a disadvantage...

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:38 am

I still think there should be a minimum weight for boat AND paddler.
Would help old, unfit, overweight, SLOW paddlers like me!

Do not know about boat weighing, but I definately DO NOT volunteer to stand around in the cold waiting for paddlers to come and tell me the scales are wrong. :D
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

Anne

Post by Anne » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:48 am

Boat weighing will take place at random events without publication beforehand therefore boats should be the correct weight at all events in anticipation. I would also expect weights to be permanent this year, ir glued or geled as plenty of warning was given in 2005. It would be great to weigh at evey race but as fewer and fewer people are willing to help at races this is not always possible.

If anyone out there would like to volunteer to weigh boats at any races please let me know your help would be greatly received. Anne hounslow

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:17 am

Canadian PAddler wrote:I still think theer shoudl be a minimum weight for boat AND paddler.
Would help old, unfit, overweight, SLOW paddlers like me!

Do not know about boat weighing, but I definately DO NOT volunteer to stand around in the cold waiting for paddlers to come and tell me the scales are wrong. :D

I agree Colin, it is only the fair way of doing it, perhaps a motion for the ACM this year?

But in the meantime as Anne say's there are rules in place and paddlers should have their boat's at the correct weight before competing.
Paddle fast,,,Paddle safe Yorkshire Canoe Coaching

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:49 am

Just realised how negative my post was. Sorry folks, I will be 'competing' at the Tees on Saturday and judging on Sunday - so I will be sitting around getting cold.

As Anne says it is getting harder to get people to help. If it was not for judges, timing, boat weighing etc the sport could not run. So please volunteer.

I was tryign to make teh point that it is not worth blaming the VOLUNTEER if your boat is under weight, just accept it and move on. Thanks to all who helped last season, and will help this season.
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:20 pm

I dont think it would be a good idea to weigh the boat and the paddler. If the paddler is lighter it will probably mean they dont have as much power and strength to carry any extra weight, so it wouldnt be very fair!!

confused

Post by confused » Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:29 pm

Whilst I agree with boat weighing I'm not quite sure I agree with weighing the paddler, surely a small junior is at a greater disadvantage in a correct weight boat than a great strapping grown-up!
If minimum paddler weight are introduced then this will stop the up and coming small juniors. :(

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:50 pm

But if you set a minimum weight at say 45 kg for the boat and paddler it would not impede or disadvantage the younger paddler.

With new boat's being produced at 7 kg, 2 kg under the minimum current weight limit for K1's, it would be nice to enforce the weight rule at the beginining of the season if you want to make it fair for all. Weights should also be permantly marked so it would show up if they had been removed rather than just a mark on the outside of the boat.

As it is the competitor's responsibility to ensure their boat is legal I am sure that all the paddlers will make sure that their boat is the right weight before they turn up to an event, otherwise it would not be very sporting ???

Vicky

Post by Vicky » Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:08 pm

Ah yer, I've yet to put any lead in my new boat... anyone know where I could get some?!
Thanks

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:14 pm

Guest wrote:I dont think it would be a good idea to weigh the boat and the paddler. If the paddler is lighter it will probably mean they dont have as much power and strength to carry any extra weight, so it wouldnt be very fair!!

:D OR once you get 'on a bit' you have less fat to lug around, so you have a definate advantage. . .

Sorry to those who do not know that I am a) old, b) unfit, c) over weight and d) too stupid to give up. This post was intended as a light hearted joke.

Post by guest » Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:47 pm

Vicky wrote:Ah yer, I've yet to put any lead in my new boat... anyone know where I could get some?!
Thanks
I'd like to know where to get the lead too

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:21 pm

Vicky wrote:Ah yer, I've yet to put any lead in my new boat... anyone know where I could get some?!
Thanks

Church roof's used to be a good source (only joking :D )

You may be able to get some weights from a local ironmongers or lead from a scrap dealer. Car boot sales may be a source for old weights off of scales?

Dave Royle

Post by Dave Royle » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:02 pm

Why the preoccupation of finding lead to put in boats. I am not suggesting you make up the weight with feathers (they'd soak up water and make an awful mess), but if you find a rock the right weight that can easily by araldited in place and it will weigh th esame as the lead. The problem for most people is access to accurate scales and this is why there is panic at the first race where they show up.

On a lighter note, there has been a suggestion of weighing paddler and boat. Can I suggest a "scratch" weight of 73kg. Kids will obviously have to weight up their boats (Jas would need to add around 30kg) but bigger, more powerful people would have to elect for surgical removal of a leg or something in order to get the weight down.

We could then make it even fairer with a le Mans style start so that the kids would have to drag a boat weighing around 40kg to the waters edge hopefully tripping up all the one legged powerhouses as they went. I think I should just about get away with a slightly lighter boat :D. How about you CP?

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:06 pm

73Kg - I wish, would need to remove both legs AND some of the body insulation. But then perhaps I could get into some of the smaller boats. . . Hmmmmmm goes off thinking silly thoughts. . . ???

ps builders merchants have lead flashing for sealing the ends of roofs against walls. I have a small sheet left over from when I had some work done. So try local builder/roofer if you really want lead. Although I know a paddler who user refinforcing rods pushed into the foam, anything heavy will do as Dave says.

Post by guest » Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:06 am

Dave has hit the nail on the head re panic at the first race. i know there is random boat weighing, per Anne's post, but wouldn't it be more sensible to guarantee that scales are there at the first few races to help people get it right BEFORE they are penalised. or are the powers that be more interested in catching people out? after all you can't trust the bathroom scales (they lie about my weight so why not the boat's? - i'm sure CP will have something to add...) seems to me that someone could have a nice little earner selling lead sheet and araldite!