Sorry, no more "guest" postings - Still going to respect anonymity

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
SteveM
Site Admin

Post by SteveM » Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:05 pm

Hi, SteveM here - I'm the board owner and moderator. Thought I'd better introduce myself seeing as I've not posted much on here recently. That might change once we've sorted out our new house and I get round to applying for a bib...we'll see :)

Anyway, back to the point. I've often been asked why I allow anonymous postings on the board, as it's sometimes felt this makes it a little too easy for people to make personal attacks and the like while hiding behind a pseudonym.

I'm aware that this can sometimes be the case, but of all the boards I've been a member of this has been and still remains one of the best behaved. Says a lot for slalom as a sport I think! :cool:

Even though a member may use a pseudonym, I can still "moderate" (edit) their postings and ban them from the board if required. I will in future ask for a real name as well as a "board name" from newly registered members, but this will not be displayed to others.

However, I have changed my mind about allowing unregistered posters. To be honest, I thought I'd already blocked guest posting when I set the board up, but I hadn't. What's prompted me to close this loophole is this story among other things. I think I would be leaving myself far too open to legal action in the future if I don't have some method of controlling who is posting in case someone deliberately targets this board to make offensive or libellous postings.

I hope you all understand why I've done this. If you have any comments at all please post them below.

Cheers,

Steve

chauffeur

Post by chauffeur » Mon May 01, 2006 7:26 pm

Just to be be certain, the anonymity is the pseudonym???
Seems reasonable.

SteveM
Site Admin

Post by SteveM » Mon May 01, 2006 10:41 pm

chauffeur wrote:Just to be be certain, the anonymity is the pseudonym???
Yup. Not 100% anonymous obviously - your IP address is logged and displayed for instance :p