Proposed rule change to event timing

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:48 am

This thread is a waste of time.

Did anyone really think Pingu started this thread seriously?
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

Serious

Post by Serious » Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:18 pm

No but it is stupid ideas like this that people will push and ruin a good sport, Having been out of the sport for many years and then starting again the standard is poor. How can you have a Div 2 slalom with a 3 & 4 at Bala no wonder the standard is so low. Make the Div 2 slaloms a bit harder and the standard will improve.

Post by Guest » Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:46 pm

Different gates for different divs

Serious

Post by Serious » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:09 pm

I dont think so, maybe they will turn the water on for the Div 2 race.

parent

Post by parent » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:51 pm

There are definately different gates for different divisions at the event and a cumec release. There is also talk of starting the div 2's slightly higher up in the future.

With poor water levels many div 2 events may lack interest and challenge. But there has to be a step up to HPP & Tyweryn.

Serious

Post by Serious » Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:15 pm

Why are there not more Div 2 races on Pierepont (maybe with a smaller release). I cant believe there is a div 2 race at Ironbridge !!!!! in my day it was Div 4 & Novice and easy at that. Someone needs to review some of these events and have the courage to say that the venues are not adequote for higher ranking races.

fishy

Post by fishy » Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:54 am

there are a div 2's at hpp, theres one in june

geust

Post by geust » Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:33 pm

fishy wrote:there are a div 2's at hpp, theres one in june
that should be fun to watch....are we sure its not on the lake? or on the dalecs down the bottom?

if its on the proper course i will be sat watching the looping pool allday HAHA

dude

Post by dude » Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:35 pm

hah, nice ???

fishy

Post by fishy » Mon May 01, 2006 11:37 am

its definatly on the white water, there was one there last year, quite a few ppl got stuck in looping pool cos they didnt know not to go down the middle!

Pingu

Post by Pingu » Mon May 01, 2006 6:54 pm

All they'll need to do, if they get stuck is to signal to the nearest Section Judge to :

Signal

:;):
Out of Darkness cometh Light

oldandslow

Post by oldandslow » Tue May 02, 2006 4:22 pm

There has been a lot of micky taken out of the div 2's recently, and I quite agree that I really don't feel like I deserve to be there - I'm very slow, I'm scared at Matlock and the div 3 women usually beat me - but I was promoted fair and square with two end of season wins, but with times to be ashamed of.
On the other hand if you look at the top end of the division, there are some stunning performances. At Bala Mill the best times were from the div 2 men, the top 5 at least... faster than most of the judges.
Perhaps it is time to rethink the point system so it is based on time rather than position in the race.
Life is what happens when you're making other plans.

davebrads

Post by davebrads » Tue May 02, 2006 5:50 pm

Ah, the old percentage system, we remember it well.

Although on the face of it, it should mean that only the fast paddlers get through, in practice it didn't quite work that way.

The range of times at a "hard" race is considerably greater than at an "easy" race, so if you were chasing promotion, there was little point in going to the "easy" races, as you wouldn't get enough percentage points. The advantage of this, is that more people got promoted at the "hard" races than the "easy" races, and had therefore demonstrated their ability to race on harder water before moving up the divisional system.

Gladys

Post by Gladys » Thu May 04, 2006 8:58 pm

My daughter got promoted at Bala Mill after paddling really hard at both this competition and Matlock but knows that white water is a different matter completely. She also knows that it will be a long time before she is competent on white water but does this mean that she shouldn't have been promoted in order to stop her paddling at competitions such as HPP due to her inexperience. I believe that parents and coaches who are anything worth their salt will not let their children paddle on water that is beyond their ability, there certainly aren't any coaches at our club who let the kids on water where they are out of their depth.

On a lighter note, for us parents over a certain age I think a handicap system should be implemented according to age and weight which might put us somewhere near this lot of young, light kids who seem to fly over the water instead of through which is what I seem to do. Actually, why don't we blindfold anyone under 16 years of age and then I might be in with a chance!!
Natural beauty has no need for artifical adornment.