Proposed rule change to event timing

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
Pingu

Post by Pingu » Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:38 pm

Following an unfortunate incident at the Tryweryn event on April 1st, I am looking for a Club to sponsor a UK rule change for the next ACM.

Insert new rule UK 33.2 (and renumber subsequent rules)

UK 33.2 During a run, if a paddler should miss a gate (due to it being positioned either incorrectly or in too difficult a place), a paddler may signal to the nearest Section Judge to "Stop the Clock". The Section Judge will immediately communicate with the Timing Team and the paddlers timing clock will be stopped. The paddler may then attempt to renegotiate the gate. Once the paddler has renegotiated the gate, the Section Judge will communicate to the Timing Team to "Restart the Clock".

If any Club could assist by proposing this rule change, could they please send it to the Slalom Administrator.

Thanks
Out of Darkness cometh Light

Kev.S

Post by Kev.S » Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:48 pm

While we are on the subject of rules, perhaps UK 19.8 should be more closely followed, then perhaps parents would not have to make sure there Daughter is out of the river before chasing a boat down to Davies Bridge. :angry:
To err is human, if you really want to screw up, use a computer!!

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:11 pm

Pingu wrote:Following an unfortunate incident at the Tryweryn event on April 1st, I am looking for a Club to sponsor a UK rule change for the next ACM.

Insert new rule UK 33.2 (and renumber subsequent rules)

UK 33.2 During a run, if a paddler should miss a gate (due to it being positioned either incorrectly or in too difficult a place),

Interesting to hear the full story behind this request?

Surely the course was approved by the Chair of the Jury and competitors had a practice run or at least were able to walk the course first?

Was this a problem for all competitors, a few or one?
Paddle fast,,,Paddle safe Yorkshire Canoe Coaching

umm interesting

Post by umm interesting » Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:12 pm

another point to that tho ( no disrespect to any one ) if there is only 2 juniors at the bottom and there is 1 boat 1 paddler and 1 paddle to me that says there needs to be at least 3 rescue boats plus if a person swims and there is 3 people there stands a chance that if another paddler swims there will still be support for them as well / more likly to be. like i say no disrespect but i would feel sorry for 2 younger female paddlers with limited ww experiance to try and rescue a senior paddler or bigger sized junior. They may not be strong enough to be able to tow the paddler to the side or rescue a swamped boat in ww.

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:32 am

Kev.S wrote:While we are on the subject of rules, perhaps UK 19.8 should be more closely followed, then perhaps parents would not have to make sure there Daughter is out of the river before chasing a boat down to Davies Bridge. :angry:

Tully to come yet Kev, see my post on event's :p
Paddle fast,,,Paddle safe Yorkshire Canoe Coaching

another parent

Post by another parent » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:35 am

I think some of the problem when the boat went down the river on Sunday was that at least 2 or 3 paddlers came down whilst the boat was stuck in the stopper, then everest, then nearer the finish. However, most of the girls at the bottom had not been down the ski slope so couldn't chase the boat. Hence way proper safety boats shoudl maybe have been positioned. There was also no throw line on the jetty by the stopper at gate 11 and 12, so when she came out no one could help.

random

Post by random » Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:38 am

perhaps promotion should be made harder so novices arnt put out of their league before they have enough experience

surely this whole post is an april fools joke or has slalom slipped another notch

tonka

Post by tonka » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:24 am

The rules state that when finished two people stay on the course at finish to rescue. So where were the C's. Implement the rules and disqaulify them. we should not be pussy footing around with safety. We do not tolerate it on the railway so why on the slalom course.

parent

Post by parent » Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:10 pm

The first post might have been but the rest is not a joke!

Kev.S

Post by Kev.S » Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:07 pm

I appreciate much of the other parents/paddlers comments.

I totally agree, there were two boats that got off the water, leaving just one Div 1 girl. I think I am right in saying that one of the guilty parties were of the Prem variety, not acceptable from such experienced paddlers. :angry:

And just to set the record straight, my daughter trains every week on big water and is fairly comfortable on it, she was just unlucky, as was a junior K1 man and very nearly a Prem paddler in the same stopper.

Dave Royle

Post by Dave Royle » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:12 pm

Nice one Pingo. A shame your post got hijacked. While we're here though....

Any one of us can easily be turned into a swimmer. Paddle trips and breaks come easy on the Graveyard and the river is shallow and rocky. If you haven't swum for a while does it mean that "you're unlikely to swim" or "it's your turn next"?

The duty of each competitor.

1 Stay on the water until two further competitors have finished.

2 Providing it is safe to do so, rescue any swimmers

3 Providing it is safe to do so, rescue any equipment

Climbers won't rescue anyone if it puts their own life in danger and they won't even think about the equipment.

If you want to reduce the risk of damage to your boat, fit airbags front and back. It may survive then until it is safe to rescue it.

Someone suggested a throwline on the island. I'm not sure you would be grateful for that. Chances are you would be dragged over the rocks. A painful risk to both swimmer and rescuer.

Kev.S

Post by Kev.S » Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:09 pm

Hijacked Dave? possibly, apologies Pingu.

I however agree with you Dave, rules are rules, and should be adhered to, hopefully at future events the person or persons on finish will enforce them.

Anne

Post by Anne » Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:27 am

It is very difficult for finisher to be continually watching who is or isn't on the water, especially in conditions like Sunday, they are there primarily to ensure the time is correct although many who are more experienced will do so. It is up to EVERYONE, paddlers and their supporters to ensure that paddlers remain on the water until safe to get off. If a youngster is unhappy about recuing either he/she or their parent could politely ask the person infront to hang on a few minutes. I am sure they wouldn't mind. Clubs - perhaps some work on rescue is needed.

We had a particular problem on Suday with willing volunteers Colin and I (jury) were hijacking people to judge during demo runs. If there was a concern re throw bags on the island where were the volunteers???

Please all remember ALL organisers do their best but that can only happen with enough help. If the few volunteers that do help (and it is always the same people at every race) walked away you wouldn't have a sport at all!

Come on everyone to for the benefit of YOUR off spring and everyone else volunteer to do a stint of judging or safetly or timing or start/finish or judges clerk or anything else that may be needed.

Oh and Pingu - very funny!!!!!!!!!!!

Chauff

Post by Chauff » Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:01 am

Add the fact paddlers were being asked to have boats weighed which took their mind off exactly who had followed them down and if there were any paddlers on the line behind them.
It has highlighted the need to be vigilant again early in the season which isn't bad thing.

Taxidriver

Post by Taxidriver » Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:14 pm

As the parent of the child who was left on HER OWN, on the water to attempt to try and resuce the boat on Saturday April 1st, I really take exception to the comments about "perhaps promotion should be made harder so novices arnt put out of their league before they have had enough experience". Lots of the children who are in Div 1 have worked hard to get their places. I do not diasgree that sometimes it is easy for them to get straight into Div 1 if they choose carefully. However, how are they supposed to get the experience in the first place unless they take part in competations like these. You also seem to be missing one valuable point. If it was not necessary for there to be two boats at the finish line acting as rescue, it would not be a rule!