running order - Why do the high bib numbers go first?

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
Dave Royle

Post by Dave Royle » Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:02 am

I have run start at many races including Prems and Div 4s. My policy is to give extra time where required and squeeze time up when not. You can generally tell who's going to need it. If they ask, I let them have extra time. The last thing any event needs, especially at top level, is a re-run. The paddler concerned is more tired but has had an extra run on the course and this leeds to a load of "what if" type questions which I'd rather avoid.

As a paddler I also know where I stand. If the guy in front of me is slower than me I wait a bit and if the guy behind me is faster than me (often the case) I go on ten. :p

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:23 am

Except at Tees extra time can usually be found if you ask for it, after all the intervals are normally 1 minute (hence not Tees), so a slower paddler can be set of at 45 seconds, rather than a minute, giving 15 seconds extra and not slowing the event. Having said that, as an old slow vet coming back from shoulder injury, I asked for extra time at Tees Div 1, so as not to impede the Junior behind me, and got it.

One of the advantages we have with low entries is that Peterborough {Plug coming up} runs to paddler course position rather than time, so have not had a catch up for many years, and that was a C1, with 5 minutes start, who took three minutes for the last three gates!

So after the wonders of Seaton Park, why not try the joys of Peterborough (orton mere)!
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

Post by guest » Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:34 pm

I too would always allow extra time as a starter - as you say, if the person knows that they are slow, they can be set off at say, 45 seconds. Also, I would never start the next paddler until the paddler in front has got to a certain gate - catching up paddlers afffects the paddler being caught up and the paddler sho is catching up.

If you want extra time, the best way to do this would be to clear it with control before you get to the start so that the organisers get a chance to think about it - offer to be set off after 45 seconds and then tell the starter what has been agreed.

Paddlers and organisers need to work together to help the sport i.e. paddlers also need to consider the organising club as well - organisers run events for the good of the sport but often get alot of flak (I know, I am one and it is often a thankless task).

david wilson

Post by david wilson » Tue May 02, 2006 9:01 pm

Here is a different slant on the problem of extra time. In the senior/U23 selection race last weekend a paddler asked for extra time between them and the competitor IN FRONT of them so they did not catch them up!!!
I think the problem was that the RACE ORDER was determined by RANKING ORDER. This competitor ended last season with a high ranked number and this may have been due to the fact that they had not entered many races last year.
Extra Time was granted to allow the paddler infront to clear the course thus giving the competitor who complained a better chance of a recording a good run and enhance his chances of being selected for the GB Team.
The answer could be for the selection candidates to enter more ranking races this year to ensure that next year in selection they get a true rank and start in the order which suits their paddling ability rather than complain on the start line that their chances of selection will be impaired if they catch up with the paddler infront.
It doesn't just apply to the OldandSlow Brigade of which I am a fully paid up member the "extra time" requests also apply to our top paddlers as well.
There is an argument that slower paddlers will improve if faster paddlers are following them. If that is the case then we should stick to the principle especially in the Selection races.
Interest declared, I know of a selection race where a boat was sent off at the appointed time but was caught up at gate 7 by the next boat and again at gate 15 by the second boat after that. A J16 competing for selection in the old J16 GB Team subjected to selection against two senior GB boats one of whom had been to the Olympics. No one complained at the time that they should have had extra time, everyone just got on with it.
We have to encourage and not demoralise our fellow paddlers so extra time should remain to be used with the discretion of the starter. For Selection, serious competitors should ensure their position on the Start line by competing in the required number of races to reflect their true rank and ability.

katonas

Post by katonas » Fri May 05, 2006 1:11 pm

If you're worried about catching or being caught you could check who is before /after you on the list and time their practice run or just ask them how fast they think they'll be compared to your practice time. Assuming everyone goes in the right order of course :D

I caught someone in my first ever slalom race in div 4 and didn't have a clue what I was supposed to do. It might help to let beginners like myself know what the rules are, and what they should do.