River Access - River Access debate

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
Kev.S

Post by Kev.S » Thu May 04, 2006 1:01 pm

Hi, anyone catch radio 2 this afternoon, apparently us canoeists are rude to anglers and dont pay for our river useage.

Quite a heated debate about the access situation on the Jeremy Vine show. :angry:
To err is human, if you really want to screw up, use a computer!!

Graeme

Post by Graeme » Thu May 04, 2006 3:14 pm

on the other had regardless of what fisherman believe the "right to float" capaign is doing pretty #### well from what i have seen

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Thu May 04, 2006 3:55 pm

Did you hear about this on-line poll?

There is currently a poll being conducted on the BBC2 web page asking the question 'Should Canoeists Have The Freedom Of Our Rivers?'

It would be great if everyone could show their support for the access campaign by voting.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/vine/
Paddle fast,,,Paddle safe Yorkshire Canoe Coaching

Pingu

Post by Pingu » Thu May 04, 2006 6:09 pm

Currently 44% yes and 56% no.

Please vote if you haven't already.
Out of Darkness cometh Light

fishy

Post by fishy » Thu May 04, 2006 7:37 pm

voted :D

jke

Post by jke » Thu May 04, 2006 8:37 pm

Just before the programme it was 97% Yes 3% No!
John Kent

chauffeur

Post by chauffeur » Thu May 04, 2006 8:44 pm

Any chance Nick could put the link on the main page so more people might see it and vote???
I'll email our club memebers.

SteveM
Site Admin

Post by SteveM » Thu May 04, 2006 10:52 pm

Also voted!:cool:

Seedy Paddler

Post by Seedy Paddler » Thu May 04, 2006 11:01 pm

:)
Added another yes - up to 53% with 47% Nos

Can't understand why the English (particulalry Anglo) and Welsh accept to be treated like 2nd class citizens in the UK. Surely if us Jocks can be trusted to behave responsibly out of doors then you sassenachs can as well. Campaign to introduce the Land Reform (England & Wales) Act with a UK Outdoor Access Code and drag England and Wales into the same century as Scotland (and much of the Free World).

katonas

Post by katonas » Fri May 05, 2006 12:59 pm

Send your views to the online times discussion (see bottom of last page).
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0, ... 00,00.html
I've been waiting a few days for my comments (below) to be posted. I guess they're a bit overwhelmed.

We are a nation facing an epidemic of obesity and unhappiness. Neil Morrison's loss of weight and making of new friends are just some of the benefits of such a wonderful and varied sport. R Nichols description of a group of youngsters
behaving badly when hiring canoes, is why we musn't continue to isolate the young from the countryside. Speak to a typical canoe club member and you will find people like myself who are passionate about nature, and keeping it unspoilt. The youth of today need an opportunity to be aware of the countryside, if it is going to be protected in the future. Forget a sedentary lifestyle, drugs, and hanging around on street corners, and join your local canoe club to see nature at its best. I still recall drifting with the current on the river Wye when 30yards in front of me, an otter calmly swam by...

Vicky

Post by Vicky » Fri May 05, 2006 1:14 pm

We did not come off well on that broadcast! And I fail to see how canoeists 'spoil the environment'! We find fishing gear along the river all the time!
In South Wales we've had access problems for years. We were forced to leave one of our canoeing sites after things got nasty with anglers (towards the end one of them cast a hook at me!). There is now an arrangement with the anglers but we still only get very limited access on a very restricted section of the river ogmore. :|

VivienneM

Post by VivienneM » Fri May 05, 2006 11:46 pm

I tried to vote as asked to by an email and could find out how - can I still do so and can someone tell me how??

Pingu

Post by Pingu » Sat May 06, 2006 6:16 pm

Vivienne

I think that the vote must have closed.

The link was on the post by Geebs on the first page. If you click it now it seems to ask you if you are "middle class" !!!

The only time I'm asked a question abour class is usually on an entry card and I always normally answer "K1".

:;):

Pingu

Post by Pingu » Sat May 06, 2006 6:33 pm

You can listen again to the discussion on the following link Jeremy Vine Show on Radio 2 Click on Thursday to hear it