WORLD CLASS PROGRAMMES - Good value or ever changing target?

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
surveyme

Post by surveyme » Wed May 24, 2006 12:34 am

I've never been quite sure how this "system" is put together nor how it is run - having spoken to a number of other paddlers, they too seem quite in the dark - especially the younger ones that these schemes are supposed to be promoting.

I can't help feeling that with such a cloak and dagger approach the system is never really going to produce a consistent flow of top class athletes.

Surely the ebst way to promote the support for paddlers capable of reaching the highest levels of competition is to have unambiguous targets, a clear and well published assessment programme and primarily support that is continuous and not "stop/start" depending upon the athletes current performance.

I believe it has been said of the women particularly, that not one of the current squad is on the programme(s)? I'm sure sure if that's true, but if so, its not a great endorsement for the operation of the coaching system in this country.

Why is it also that consistency in operation of the scheme(s) is so difficult to achieve - from name changes through to operational expenses. Since there is always a cry of "there's not enough money for coaches", why do the athletes get asked to contribute to their use of facilities and coaches (albeit that they are - but only in some instances).

Surely there's a better way to ensure equal opportunity of all (even those who have an off day) and promote this sport to benefit our country.
???

Anne

Post by Anne » Wed May 24, 2006 8:48 am

Perhaps you should be asking these questions of World Class - not using the web site. These are professional people who do things the way they do for a reason, they are I am sure quite happy to explain their reasoning to you.

chauffeur

Post by chauffeur » Wed May 24, 2006 1:17 pm

There is a lot of strong views about training at the moment. It might be World Class related but the forum is open to comments about slalom. The training from WCS is supposed to be an opportunity open to all slalom paddlers, reaching what ever the criteria might or might not be???

davebrads

Post by davebrads » Wed May 24, 2006 5:20 pm

Serveyme is only expressing in a public forum what he/she feels about the World Class program. Also Chauffeur is not alone in being uncomfortable about the way the World Class program is run, it is a general theme amongst most paddlers and paddlers' parents that have come into contact with the World Class setup, and that even includes some of those that are on the program!

There seems to be very little feedback to the paddlers or their parents that are either on World Class, or aspiring to be there.

World Class do not seem to be accountable to our sport in any way, but their actions affect the way our sport is run, and in some ways the impression given is that they actually do run our sport. I would feel a lot more assured if World Class reported back to the sport as a whole on all their activities, and not just the criteria for selection. The World Class website contains very little information, this is taken from the FAQs:

Q How do I get selected for Great Britain and the World Class Programmes
A Work hard and race in the designated selection races.

There are hundreds of people who want to know how World Class works, are they going to have a discussion with each of them in turn?

Anne

Post by Anne » Wed May 24, 2006 6:53 pm

Perhaps if enough people went and asked they would then post thewir criteria etc because as Dave says they wouldn't want to be talking it through with lots of people.

However I will go to WC and suggest they made more public their selection criteria.

Dave Royle

Post by Dave Royle » Wed May 24, 2006 8:19 pm

If you follow this link you will see the latest selection criteria for the WC development programmes

WC development programme criteria

I agree that the website is not very user friendly though. It is by no means obvious how to find things. You basically have to hit lucky on the slalom news page.

The other dissappointment about the website is the press release type reports. Instead of supporting the selected athletes, they go on about the failures of the favourites. Might be great news headlines, but doesn't raise the profile of those who are to compete for our country this year.

A list of athletes currently on the programme would be a good idea alond with a more friendly website would help improve the visibility.

surveyme

Post by surveyme » Thu May 25, 2006 7:28 am

Anne wrote:Perhaps if enough people went and asked they would then post thewir criteria etc because as Dave says they wouldn't want to be talking it through with lots of people.

However I will go to WC and suggest they made more public their selection criteria.
I read with interest the postings so far and clearly I'm not the only person who can express some query over these matters. However Ann, I think you've missed my point(s) and I'm certinaly not suggesting that it is necessary for you to go to WC to get them to publish their selection criteria - you obviously will appreciate that this is already available from them.

My query was more to do with "UNDERSTANDING" that criteria - say from the parents or adult point of view - AND helping the younger ones by having a clear and ACHIEVEABLE target to aim for.

It's not good enough to say to someone that's 10, 11, .... etc., you have to reach a certain percentage time of the K1M. If they manage to grab this concept (and I doubt many - if any - really understand how to work this out), they certainly can't use it in day-to-day training (only at races).

Surely it's better to give them a target that they can judge for themselves (e.g. run 4K in 20 minutes - aged 12)?

I heard a young girl a few months ago - when not offered a place in their winter programme - say that she wouldn't take an offer now or in the future BECAUSE of the way she had been treated - in that case through very poor communication. However, I can't help feeling that also underlying that emotion was that (in her eyes), she had reached her target (but the WC target just wasn't explained clearly enough to her for her to grasp why she had failed to qualify).

As to your comment on the professionalism of the coaches etc., at WC and the intimation that I am in some way wrong to voice my opinions here, I regret that you feel that way - the truth can sometimes hurt (if it hits home). However, I take comfort in that I'm not the only person with similar views on this subject - and this body of opinion is growing rapidly.

Whilst I have every respect for the coaches and organisation, is it right NOT to question the methodology of the scheme when it creates a resentment to it by the manner in which it deals with it's "customers". I'm not a great lover of regulation and accountability but surely having a level playing field and achievement goals that are well understood for all is a worthwhile goal? ???

surveyme

Post by surveyme » Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:39 pm

Why has the ability to "run" suddenly become so important in determining whether a youngster is a good paddler or not? I understand that his criteria has been used most recently in selecting people to the start porgramme and excluding better and high achieving paddlers - because they simple cannot run 4K. They can however swim this (and longer) distance - surely a better test of someone's endurance?

Also, why is it that some clubs were told the selection races were important and others not so - for the purposes of results for the programme? And why did some clubs get notification in advance of selection of the summer "camps" and others not - was it a foregone conclusion who would be on these?

With such confusing signals sent out by the programme and the resentment felt over these and other issues, isn't it about time Start gave up and let someone else encourage the development of these talented individuals? :p