Boat and Equipment scrutineering

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
Geebs

Post by Geebs » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:37 am

We seem to have wandered off topic, I am sure we have had a similar debate some threads ago on boat weight?

So back to the main topic, Boat and Equipment Scrutineeing and setting up a team of volunteers.

You don't have to be at all the race's as with a team you can share the event's.
Paddle fast,,,Paddle safe Yorkshire Canoe Coaching

katonas

Post by katonas » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:50 am

Why can't slalom boat manufacturer's put the weight of each boat on their website (+ seat and footrest weights so you have an idea of the final total give or take a bit of glue). I presume this is one reason why some people pay for the most expensive constructions.

[/quote]it may explain the differences in longevity of the boats between manufacturers though[quote]
So which boats do last well, anyone... ?

Speaking of which, when I bought my paddle I read that I shouldn't leave it in direct sun. Does leaving your boat exposed all day in the summer sun affect the materials ?

To get back to the topic, if you have a 9kg standard weight you don't need to worry about calibration of the scales, just compare to the standard. You could also charge competitors a fortune for strips of lead if you let them have a go with the scales before the race starts... :laugh:

mikey

Post by mikey » Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:48 am

I believe that most boat manafacturers heat cure their boats now.i.e put it under a heat blanket or in a low bake oven! So leaving in the sun shouldnt adversley affect them.

In fact if you have a foam sandwich boat and you ding it leaving a dent, if you leave it in the sun the dent can pop out.

Unless people are going to weigh boats at every event then I dont think it should be done. The scales at notts were not on flat ground so this may have not been accurate!?

Scales should be available at the start of the event so competitors can check their boat weights. It would also be good to see scales available to all paddlers at nottingham and other venues in training as well.

Anne

Post by Anne » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:34 am

That is the ideal - but again it comes down to volunteers to weigh boats - however once weighed at the start of a season if everyone was honest at this stage in the season there shouls be no excuse and there would be no need to weigh at every race (unless someone has changed their boat). It is widely publicised that random boat weighing will take place so get the weight right and no one has cause for concern

I do know there are a small minority who will remove their added weight if there is no weighing taking place which spoils it for everyone!

Scales are often at races and a paddler who is unsure of the weight of their boat only has to ask the organiser. at HPP there are scales that belong to the centre.

Come on folks take some responsibility for your own epuipment and stop blaming the scales and personnel when caught out! This would also free up volunteers for jobs such as judging asnd timing instead of having to check boat weights because of a few paddlers intent on breaking the rules.

Taxidriver

Post by Taxidriver » Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:25 pm

Anne

If you get a team of people together, what would you expext them to do. Would they need to provide the equipment, or just be an extra person to confirm that everything is ok?

davebrads

Post by davebrads » Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:37 pm

At the end of the day it is the responsibility of the paddler to ensure their boat conforms to the regulations. Obviously, not everyone has access to accurate scales, but the weighing equipment has been freely available at many events this year.

In fact, at HPP the other weekend I took my boat to the scales to see if I could take the weight out, now I have a couple of repairs on my boat. It weighed 9.98Kg without the weight, and slightly damp, so I quickly put the weight back in. It needs another repair now, so that should sort it out. :laugh:

Anne

Post by Anne » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:26 pm

If we could build up a team it would be a case of ensureing the scales are available at the necessary events and ideally checking all before first runs and then random after runs. It is a long tedious job - I know I have done it often enough. The minimum would be to have scales available for anyone to check their boat and random checking at finish.

Mick h

Post by Mick h » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:30 pm

As I expressed before my opinion is the rule is outdated and no paddler will have gained advantage from having a boat a few hundred grams under weight. The only reason for boat weight introduction was safety to ensure manufactures made boats that would not fold around your legs on the first rapid.
I have never seen anyone checking bouyancy aid or helmet for CE marks may be that would be a better point to start.

Mick h

Post by Mick h » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:32 pm

Anne
Unless the scales are placed on a suitable surface they are as good as useless.

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:40 pm

The title of the thread was Boat & Equipment scutineering, this should encompass all equipment used as it does for instance in canoe polo where boats, BA's and helmets are checked before and during an event, the boat weight factor is normally the first thing that some people pick up on, one queries if they have something to hide?

But unless some more volunteers come forward, we will have to rely on the same few which is a drain on resources and putting extra work load on the same few.
Paddle fast,,,Paddle safe Yorkshire Canoe Coaching