attitude

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
RichSanderson

Post by RichSanderson » Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:04 pm

alright,
i was paddling at notts on tuesday afternoon quite happily sessioning the muncher with about 4/5 other people, 3 of which were GB freestyle team members, when 3 girls came down the course setting a course on the mucher section. they put a gate right on the shoulder of the muncher, knowing full well we were paddling there. one of the guys paddling with us got off the water and kindly asked them to move the gate as it was in our way, and pretty dangerous for us, but they refused point blank to move it!! and one of the girls was pretty rude to us, claiming that ''its a slalom course youre not meant to be here''. so i got off the water and wrapped the gate around the pole on the island so it couldnt be moved, pretty much ####ing on her bonfire.
now what i cant understand is where she got the cheek from to say something like that and think that she had the right to have priority over us and that freestyle padlers shouldnt be paddling on the course.. i used to train there for slalom and know for a fact that imagining that one gate is there when its not isnt an issue, so maybe they can learn to do that??
the attitude of slalom paddlers in general is the reason i quit in the first place, and it doent seem to have got any better. id just like to point out that they have exclusive use of the course when freestyle paddlers cant use the couse, so maybe use that time to put gates in awkward places?? and remember that the freestyle euro cup finals are in 3 weeks, so slalom paddlers arent the only people that have 'important' competitions there.
i know that not all slalom paddlers have this attitude, but pretty much 80% do. its pathetic.

Richie

Post by Richie » Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:45 pm

Pathetic, I think that is a word to describe yourself. I simpathise with you if what you say is true, but there is no need to turn you rant at a few people into one aimed at 80% of slalom paddlers. Where exactly did you get this 80% figure from anyway? It always amuse's me when freestyle paddlers slag of the attitdue of slalom paddlers, especially when they always seem to be disgruntled ex-slalom paddlers themselves.

Not every slalom paddler can use the exclusive slot. There are also slalom competitions over the next 2 weekends, and these paddelrs may only come over to nottingham once a week.

Lets all just make up and get on with what we all enjoy, kayaking/canoeing.

chauffeur

Post by chauffeur » Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:05 pm

During half term my children were training at HPP, we live miles away and can only get there odd weekends and holidays.
We put a gate on the Muncher, 2 very pleasant playboaters joined in, they had as much fun as my daughter trying to spin and loop round the left pole - all enjoying the fun together. There was no problem on either side. Infact one was an ex slalom paddler himslef and was giving her plenty of tips and encouragement. It was great to watch everyone getting on and taking turns.

We also found at half term, it was the slalom paddlers who had to wait and queue to go down the 'office' as it was crowded out with those training for freestyle. I never heard one complaint.

Only Elite paddlers can go on the course 8-10am and then it is only a very very small percentage of slalom paddlers. There are no JD's on during that time.

However, I have to say although I agree with Richie that 99% of slalom paddlers are polite and patient - our daughter was very embarrassed at the language one young paddler used at her. Hopefully this is not the sort of thing he regularly uses on the course!

RichSanderson

Post by RichSanderson » Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:41 pm

richie:
firstly, as you might or might not have guessed, i made the figure up, i didnt call national statistics or conduct a survey my self, i merely made the figure up to put a point across. i appologise if it confused you.

secondly, im pretty certain that these 3 girls do have use of the exclusive slot. its just a shame she didnt recognise me or she would have realised that i used to on the gb team with her.

thirdly: i agree that we should all get on together, i know what its like to be training for slalom, and i also know what its like to train for freestyle so i can see both sides of the story, but these 3 girls really were plain ignorant/arrogant, these girls also made me realise how ignorant quite a few of the guys i used to paddle and train with are, on and off the water. i can think of about 4/5 people that i used to train with that have had the decency to speak to me or let me speak to them. lucky me.

chauffer:
i dont believe that these 2 playboaters would have been enjoying dodging the gate where we had it. ive been paddling notts for 9 years and not once have i seen anyone enjoy being hit in the face with a wooden pole. the 3 girls wouldnt even compromise, they were just rude.

im all for paddling with slalom paddlers and getting along with them, its just that a fair few of them have an attitude problem and seem to think they are something special and have special rights on the course.

i dont have a problem with queing either, thats the way things work in this mighty world of ours, its the people that think they shouldnt have to que that annoy me.

like i said to richie, i know for a fact these girls had elite passes, i used to train with them.

and finally i cant comment on the language of other paddlers, but some people feel inclined to used naughty words. take it up with them, not me.

chauffeur

Post by chauffeur » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:56 pm

'take it up with them, not me.'

Mine was general post, it was not meant to be amined at anyone specific.

I was merely delighted to see slalom and freestyle enjoying the Muncher together at half term. I thought it was very positive - they were actually spinning round the pole on the curl.

Vicky

Post by Vicky » Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:20 pm

Quote - ''secondly, im pretty certain that these 3 girls do have use of the exclusive slot. its just a shame she didnt recognise me or she would have realised that i used to on the gb team with her.''

Firstly, Being that 2 of these paddlers were welsh and the other scottish, they DO NOT get use of the exclusive slot as it is a world class slot, so quit making up 'facts' in order to boost your point.

Secondly, the gate you refer to was in no way 'a danger' to yourself or your peers it was simply sitting on the curl of the muncher and as GB team paddlers i'm sure you have the skills to avoid it.
By removing this gate from the muncher section you are effectively preventing slalom paddlers from training - one can not imagine the presence of poles when it comes to stroke pattern and movement around the pole as i'm sure you understand.
By putting a gate 'in your way' nobody is preventing you from training, it just makes it slightly more awkward for you - however by physically removing the gate, it makes it impossible for slalom paddlers to train ( i'm sure you remember the concept of the sport!)

Quote - ''like i said to richie, i know for a fact these girls had elite passes, i used to train with them.''

Erm.... actually no you didn't!! and once again - no they don't.

so based on the fact that neither of you have use of the exclusive slot - the water time has to be shared - and you cannot prevent people from training! Us slalom paddlers also have competitions.... including a premier race next weekend.

Thirdly nobody ever said you did not have the right to be on the water, simply that we have equally as much right as you.

As for attitude problems, I think I can safely say that having a tug-o-war with a young woman does not say much for your attitude, and could potentially lead to a dangerous situation.

Jump off your high horse and GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT!

Vicky

RichSanderson

Post by RichSanderson » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:22 pm

right, i appologise if im wrong, but i thought that the scottish girls was ally. and im pretty sure if it was, she gets on for world class, or at a discounted rate.

moving the gate did not make it physically impossible for you paddle what so ever. all you had to do was remember where the gate was and aim for that spot. its not rocket science. you all seemed to do fine when i moved the gate.

maybe you should try freestyle in the muncher with a gate right on the shoulder, its harder than you think dodging a solid wooden pole that swinging around in the air when you're in the air too. and yes they hurt.

if the little ####/girl that was refusing to move the gate would have compromised i wouldnt have resorted to moving the gate and getting rid of it. we all have to use the course and sometimes compromise would be nice. considering you had the rest of the course to play with. putting us in danger of hitting our heads on poles over and over isnt really fair. and you could have moved the gate to a better place without refusing to do it.

as for my attitude, well it does suck when arrogant little girls act like you did. there ws no need for it whatso ever

Vicky

Post by Vicky » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:25 pm

'arrogant little girls' ??? excuse me mate but you don't know us and i've neither spoken to you nor had anything to do with you so cut down on the personal digs, especially since you're the one that acted like a pillock.
The gate was eventually moved into a position in the eddy where we could potentially have done something with it and where it wasn't in your way - aka a compromise. By the time we came back down to do our runs you'd ''got off the water and wrapped the gate around the pole on the island so it couldnt be moved, pretty much ####ing on her bonfire.'' which there was absolutely no need for and done purely out of spite.

I appreciate it may be difficult to train with a pole hanging in the way, but we can not train to the level required without them, and on watching a few of you before the gate was moved- you also seemed to cope absolutely fine with it. We need to train on gates, aiming for 'spots' on the way down simply isn't adequate.

Alice

Post by Alice » Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:11 pm

Firstly i find it VERY OFFENSIVE being called arrogant by someone that has never met me and as it was said before you are the one being being pathetic. The gate was hardly in the way and as we pay for use of the course equally i feel we shouldnt have to be imagining the positioning of a gate, you woulnt have a shotputter being told they have to throw an imaginary shotput. Also when you say we coped well with out it, we didnt have much choice really did we considering you moved the gate.
Being Welsh and not on the world class programme i dont get exclusive use of the course so GET YOUR FACTS RIGHT.
It says alot about who you are if you choose to pick on 'little girls' as you so kindly called us, i guess you've herd the phrase 'pick on someone your own size' before

brez1

Post by brez1 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:25 pm

This sounds like an isolated incident. Always found that both types of paddling gets on well and usually a gate on the muncher is avoided during busy periods.
Lets make up!!

RichSanderson

Post by RichSanderson » Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:20 am

right, im all for getting along, but you refused point blank to move the gate when one of the girls paddling at the muncher asked you to. we wouldnt have asked if it wasnt in the way. i think i remember the words being, ''dont paddle at a slalom course then'. if thats not arrogant i dont know what is. if you had cooporated in the first place none of it would have happened.

pykey

Post by pykey » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:57 am

OK This is my first time on this board and I really dont want to #### anyone off, however I have comment to make. I am on the GB freestyle team, have been for 4 years now, I paddled on the GB riverracing team and I have just returned to slalom after not paddling a slalom boat for 8 years.
I know how different paddle sports effect each other, I too have moved slalom gates from the muncher, they interfere with freestyle training, I have put gates on the muncher, probably much to some playboaters annoyance. I have also run down a few poly wally's in my time in my river racer. however I have always tried to remain courteyous and compromise. There is no Superior paddle sport, OK slalom makes the Olympics... but it aint football!! so lets all try and get along... And yes some people are going to have to lose some Egos!!

RichSanderson

Post by RichSanderson » Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:32 pm

right, i spoke to the girl today on the course, it wasnt who i thought it was (my bad), she came up and appologised to me, which was pretty cool of her. and she is a nice girl after all. i must have caught her on a bad day or something. its all sorted now..
but i still stand by what i said about the attitude of a fair few slalom paddlers nowdays! there seems to be quite a bit of snobbery going on towards other paddlers and to be honest it sucks.

davebrads

Post by davebrads » Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:47 am

I'm glad it's all sorted now, after all it is the way it should have been done in the first place. We all have to understand each other's requirements, and there is just as much snobbery from the playboaters about slalomists as there is the other way round (I speak as someone who competes in both disciplines).

I have been at the course on a busy night, with maybe 40 or 50 slalom paddlers training on the course, and a couple of playboaters have turned up and moved the gate off the muncher. The muncher is an important feature of the course for slalomists as well as playboaters, and we do need to train on it occasionally. We can accept that this is not possible at weekends, or any time when there are a lot of playboaters around, so when we do have an opportunity to train on it, it's a bit galling to say the least when someone moves the gate.

In order to get along, slalom paddlers and playboaters need to understand each others requirements, and what we are trying to do. If a playboater is in a hole, (s)he isn't going to want to move until (s)he is finished, or gets flushed. On the other hand, playboaters should look out for slalomists coming down the course before heading into the hole in the first place. If there is a gate in an eddy, don't sit in it chatting to your mate. If there are a lot of playboaters using a feature, either use a different part of the course, or if you really have to use the feature, set an imaginary gate, or use a gate off the feature so that you don't get in their way.

Best of all, talk to each other, we aren't so different!

Graeme

Post by Graeme » Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:48 am

Glad its all sorted between you two :laugh:

On another note i was paddling yesterday and there was good slalom/playboating compromise going on.....David F and his coach (who i cant remember your name dude sorry :cool: its been a long time) they moved the gate into the muncher, did the section, moved it back out again, sound lads :;): :) ....and well done on the gold :;):

Graeme