Weight Limits - minimum boat weight regulations

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
davebrads

Post by davebrads » Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:56 pm

From the scrutineering thread, I seem to be the only one that thinks the current regs should remain. What are people suggesting? We reduce the minumum weight for a kayak to say 7Kg? Although I agree that boats could be made to that weight, there will inevitably be a reduction in the useful life of the boat, and it doesn't even get rid of Mick's problem - scrutineering will still be needed, and boat manufacturers will continue to aim to build a boat to about 0.5Kg below the limit. The tolerance on a boat's finished weight must be +/- 0.2Kg, and no-one wants an overweight boat, so they have to aim below the limit. In which case it is still the paddler's responsibility to make sure he makes it up to the minimum weight.

Alternatively we scrap the weight limit altogether. The advances in technology won't mean that the boats will last longer than they did 20 years ago, just that the boats can be made even lighter. The top paddlers will want the lightest boat possible, to get the maximum advantage in the race. The manufacturers will be under pressure to make them for their sponsored paddlers, as success at the top level translates to more sales, and we return to the situation in the 80's where boats were being built for one race. The ordinary Joe Paddler buying a new boat won't be affected by this. He will buy boats on the basis of a combination of performance and build quality, and can choose whether to buy an 8Kg boat that will have some resale value after a couple of years, or a 7Kg boat that will have fallen apart by then. The paddlers that it will affect are those trying to break into the teams. They won't have the benefit of the super light one-race boats, and will be at a disadvantage in the race, which is the reason why the regulation was introduced in the first place.

Admittedly, there is nothing to stop manufacturers from making one race boats now - the weight can always be added, but the current regulation at least discourages it.

From my point of view, as a paddler who generally has to buy his boats secondhand, and then get them to last at least a couple of seasons, a reduction in the weight limit can only be a bad thing, as most of the boats that come into the secondhand market will be on their last legs

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:16 am

Dave I agree as a boat manufacturer and importer our new range of boats are being built to the current weight limit to provide a fair playing field for all, we could build a lightweight boat but I see nothing to be gained from it for domestic competitions.

I strongly believe that everyone should have the same opportunity rather than people gaining because 1) they are sponsored or 2) they can afford a new boat nearly every race.

The current weights seem fair, all that would happen if the weights were reduced would be to disadvantage the people that could not afford new boats (not that I believe that an odd few grams would make much differance) the skill is in the paddler and the right choice of boat for them.

I say stay where we are as at least this way there will be some decent 2nd hand competitive boats to pass down to the new paddlers starting slalom rather than them having to fork out for a new boat in the first place and discouraging them.

I don't know if my fellow manufacturers will agree, but the more people we can encourage to the sport the more the sport will grow.
Paddle fast,,,Paddle safe Yorkshire Canoe Coaching

Anne

Post by Anne » Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:43 am

As we are keen to run slalom in the UK as near as possible to the ICF rules - particulalrly at the top end scrapping the weight limit would be counterproductive to that.

davebrads

Post by davebrads » Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:27 pm

Hi Anne

I guess that we won't go away from being generally in alignment with ICF regulations, but I assume that we can have some influence over those regulations. If a particular national body feels strongly enough about an issue, are they able to propose a rule change to the ICF? Is this the way it works?

Anne

Post by Anne » Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:17 pm

Good question Dave! I really don't know but I will certainly find out!

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:37 am

Just a thought, I notice that certain paddlers that had underweight boats at HPP and were disqualified scored point at Bala, are their boats now legal? if not they should not be awarded points surely until the boats have been checked prior to their next competition?
Paddle fast,,,Paddle safe Yorkshire Canoe Coaching