Women C1

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
canoebabe88

Post by canoebabe88 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:58 pm

How can I train when I dont know what Im talking about and how to do it properly?

There is only a certain level of coaching avalable at club level to progress past this you need a highter level of coaching.

Anne

Post by Anne » Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:51 am

My investigation into the rumour re Women's C1 events in slalom being introduced is that there is no truth in it.

Te IOC challenged the ICF to addrress the issue of more Women participating in the Olympic games. The ratio should be about 50% Male/Female and canoeing (this include slalom & sprint) falls well below this.

There is a lobbly from North America to include Womens Canadian events in flat water but not slalom. Any changes would not however be until 2016.

I am sure however if there was a Woman C1 paddler who was challenging the top men in either junior, U23 or senior, at national level they would certinly be included in the programme. Byut we all know that is very unlikely to happen, as Women's kayak does not challenge Men's kayak.

I hope this stops the uncertainty. If there are any changes to this as soon as I am aware of them I will let everyone know.

In the mean time if women wish to compete in Canadian classes at National competitions then please do so.

Anne

Post by Anne » Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:59 am

As already stated this is not the forum for achieving change - grumbling and criticising,it just gets the backs up of the people that you are aiming it at, very often the people that are putting all the work in to make the sport happen.

If you have a true grievance then as already stated put it down on paper and send to me. Thanks for the one received, but one is really not a lot of good, I can take the points forward but the only way to create any changes is for there to be many of them.

Of course you could always put yourself forward as paddler rep next year and join the committee, last year only Etienne stood for paddler rep.

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:30 pm

So after four months of this thread going on the hopes of all the ladies have been dashed, well done the ICF :angry: but thanks to Anne for clarifying this.

Slalom competitions are getting too expensive to do just for fun especially as there is no substantial discount schemes in place for the higher div's when you are putting in two entries @ prem or Div1, 1 x K1 + 1 x C1 = £48.00 - £2.00 = £46.00, so what do you do,,,,,, you drop one so any hope of encouraging more ladies to enter this class at a high level has now gone.
Paddle fast,,,Paddle safe Yorkshire Canoe Coaching

surveyme

Post by surveyme » Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:42 pm

Anne

Why is it that you (and presumably WCS) don't think this is an appropraite forum to take note of?

You actively participate (and with the greatest of respect) seem to take some comments quite personally - though I'm not sure why as they aren't aimed at you.

Surely these two actions don't go "hand in hand"? If the forum is not designed to be taken notice of, why do you particpate yet chose how, when and to what extent?:rock:

Anne

Post by Anne » Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:16 am

As chair of the slalom committee I like to have some idea of what people are saying, but generally I would not respond to this forum appart from to make comments or explainations, and suggest the proper way of proceeding - it is usually criticisim and as chair it should be undertandable as to why I appear to take it personally! I often wonder why I bother & I am sure other committee members think the same - I know many don't look at the board often because of this.

There is a small group of volunteers working very hard to try and improve the support - this is not easy when most of (not all thank you Geebs and others for all your support) the comments are very destructive and critical. You must remember most of us also work full time!

We are as you should be aware an amateur sport run by volunteers on a very small budget! The small group of people on the committee are continually trying to do their best for the whole sport from Div 4 up to International level, but we cannot do it alone if we are to move the sport forward in any way!

There are a lot of people out there who come to events and criticise but do not volunteer to do any work, so even more work falls on that small group such as boat weighing etc.

There is much we want to do for slalom, various initiatived are being set up to try and imporve participation levels st the lower levels and retention of paddlers at higher, and Nick has produced on his web site a document for discussion and comment, however this is just a strating point. A handful of people have responded either on this forum or personally to Nick, these comments will be taken into consideration when the next draft is produced.

A three year development plan is being written to build on our achievements this year, and develop other initiatives - so watch this space!! Hopefully it will go public following our next committee meeting in September.

Don't forget all clubs registered with the slalom committee can put motions forward at the ACM for discussion and voting, so if there is something you want changing and your club agrees do something about it!

In the mean time enjoy the sport and your training and competing, encourage others to take part and volunteer yourself or parents etc, it is a wonderful opportunity to make long lasting friendships, have fun ,stay fit and hopefully fulfill your dreams.