Women C1

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
frontman

Post by frontman » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:46 am

Just found this link on the WWW - seems their will be a new category coming soon......
http://www.cboats.net/cforum/viewtopic.php?t=4708

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:55 pm

That should be interesting and not before time :D

At the moment we have no Women in Prem or Div1, 5 in Div2 and 4 in Div3, if WCS recognise this they have their work cut out to be ready for the 2012 :p
Paddle fast,,,Paddle safe Yorkshire Canoe Coaching

Post by Guest » Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:00 pm

It's certainly good news, there is a strong group of junior girls coming up I'm sure some of them will be very interested to hear this news

jhandley

Post by jhandley » Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:54 am

Hi from down under
I think this is an excellent idea. We have always encouraged our paddlers to paddle C1 and C2 as well as K1 and it is great that C1 will be available for women at the highest level as it will encourage others at all levels.

cheers
Jackie

fishy

Post by fishy » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:18 pm

yeah that would be god i wouldnt mind doing C1
helen

Train2Win

Post by Train2Win » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:45 pm

C1 for women? What's the point? There are low enogh entries in women's K1 let alone C1, a class which is scary enough to master if you're a guy let alone for girls - most of whom are scared on WW as Kayaks!

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:13 am

Guest wrote:C1 for women? What's the point? There are low enogh entries in women's K1 let alone C1, a class which is scary enough to master if you're a guy let alone for girls - most of whom are scared on WW as Kayaks!
The point is equality.

Many women did not enter C1 because they have known in the past that they can not compete in international events because it was sexist, there are quite a few out there who would be up for the challenge now they have something to aim for, if you check the Div2 C1 rankings there are four women ranked in the top 20 who only started doing it in the last year or so.

Lets face it C1 entries are not particulary high either so with the more women getting involved the entries would go up.

Regarding your comment about being scared on WW some of these ladies are K1 Prem & Div 1 paddlers so are used to the water. I would call practising at places like HPP/Tees etc in C1 shows their confidence all ready :;):

david wilson

Post by david wilson » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:49 pm

This is very interesting.
C1W - A new Olympic discipline by 2012/2016.
Can our ICF rep confirm this please?
The ladies will need to know if this is true so that they can decide which discipline they intend to focus on.
Also if C1 is being offered, what about C2?
Will Mixed C2 be a possible Olympic discipline in the future?
According to the thread on the above link there is an Olympic rule that men cannot compete against women. Well what about Mixed Doubles Badminton, the Equestrian events and Pairs Ice Skating/Dance?
These are all things that young competitors need to know as early as possible in order to make a decision about their future disciplines. In the case of Mixed C2 this includes males. We do not want to get left behind. Note the posting from "Down Under" where they already "encourage" all their paddlers to try all the disciplines. How many medals did Australia secure in the recent Commonwealth Games?
We have had a warning, early confirmation of this news would be to our advantage.

jim croft

Post by jim croft » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:51 pm

:;): Up to and including the 1981 World Championships there was a mixed C2 class.

Jim

Yester Years Kayak

Post by Yester Years Kayak » Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:21 pm

Reading comments further down on the web site there is talk that C2 is rumoured to be dropped in favour of C1W, which appears to be very narrow minded given the amount of interest that has been generated towards a mixed C2 class!

I would not vote for C1W at the expense of C2 if i were given the choice. Sorry ladies it is not because i am sexist, but because whenever i have paddled in a C2 i have enjoyed it too much to want to loose it, anyone who has paddled them knows that the pleasure is greater than the pain!!!

canoebabe88

Post by canoebabe88 » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:05 pm

Well I think this is a great thing as I do paddle K1 and C1 but I have only been paddling C1 at Div 2 events and this has just been for fun and if this is going to happen I will train in my C1 rather than K1 because I find both enjoyable but have been put off by the fact of not being able to compete in major competitions and then it could be seen as a waste of time and money training and competing in C1 where as if I was to keep up my K1 I may get some where.
I was racing C1 at the weekend just for enjoyment but after this news I took the race more seriously and came out with 3rds both days so it can be possible for girls to do well even against the lads but I was the only lady competing in C1 I don’t know if people did not know about this or are just not interested in it who can say until people know for sure what is going on.
Looking at the results for the season so far I am ranked 2nd in Div 2 so Ladies can do well in this discipline as well :p

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Thu May 04, 2006 3:58 pm

So is WCS or WCP going to react to this so we have representation in the 2012? or will it be last minute.com?

raeofsunshine

Post by raeofsunshine » Thu May 04, 2006 4:06 pm

Guest wrote:C1 for women? What's the point? There are low enogh entries in women's K1 let alone C1, a class which is scary enough to master if you're a guy let alone for girls - most of whom are scared on WW as Kayaks!
Oh my god i have just read this post!! What planet are you on??

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Thu May 18, 2006 11:41 pm

Geebs wrote:So is WCS or WCP going to react to this so we have representation in the 2012? or will it be last minute.com?

I guess with the recent changes to WCS and the amount of athletes that have been dropped that would be a 'NO' then?

I am sure it was a better system a few months ago when all the regional coaches used to help train our potential medal winners of the furure, that was before they got early retirement so to speak!

xbladerunner

Post by xbladerunner » Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:48 pm

Coaching facilities for the girls is hard to come by even if you ask.

WHO will coach these girls if they do start a W C1 class? Does any body know?