Slalom Kayaks - Help Needed

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
Blighty

Post by Blighty » Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:57 am

Hi. Hope some of you can help me out. Just getting back into slalom but am unfamiliar with the current designs around at the moment - been out of the sport for 10 years and getting back into it.
Who are the best current manufacturers and what designs should I be looking at? Not in the market for new but a few years old would be fine. Higher volume preferably, in the +90kg variety.
Cheers.
(website links would be great- cant find many)

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:18 pm

Welcome back, you will have noticed the change in length and design over the years.

The short 3.5m boats are just starting to come on the market S/H so you may pick one up at a reasonable price, otherwise there are a few 4m boats still around, but at that weight range I would think you may be struggling for choice.

Websites to look at are Double Dutch & Vajda & Gala Sport hopefully these will give you some ideas.

Best of luck

Graeme
Paddle fast,,,Paddle safe Yorkshire Canoe Coaching

Blighty

Post by Blighty » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:10 pm

Thanks for the info. Very useful.
I see Double Dutch do the Slingshot 95 which would be ideal.
If anyone knows of any more which would be appropriate. please let me know.
Cheers

mk1zetec

Post by mk1zetec » Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:03 pm

I got back into slalom last year after a few years off (17) and i weigh in at 90 kilos. I tried out a few boats at the start of the season and i found the slingshot 95 to be my favorite, which i have since bought new. Easy to paddle, turns well, not the fastest in a straight line but then thats not just down to the boat, i have had some good(ish) results in DIV 1 in it. There are few of the 95s out there and i know some people are looking to get a replacement, so you might find some coming onto the 2nd hand market soon. Maybe mine later in the year if i can get demo in a Quantum Plus and like it!