Go Wildwater Racing - Tony Estanguet Says So!

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
frontman

Post by frontman » Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:04 pm

Having just read the account of the Estanguet brothers by Bill Endicott (if you dont know who he is, SHAME on you.... :angry: ) on the ICF website here I thought I would voice my thoughts on all things wildwater.

It turns out that both the Estanguet brothers started out as wilwater racers before turning to slalom. As someone who has done a bit of wildwater racing & slalom racing I thought I would come on here and sell it to all you slalom paddlers who havent given it a thought - after all, Tony Estanguet didnt do too badly from it :)! It's certainly something I wish I had done a bit more of when I was racing slalom.

So here it is - paddling wildwater racers is a fantastic way to improve your stroke speed, your boat control, and your aerobic capacity. If you have a large aerobic base, you are all the stronger to build all your other layers onto - the lactic, the speed, the threshold stuff and therefore make you a better slalom padder.

Another plus - boat time - there have been many discussions on here about entry fees, value for money etc. - river racing = endless practice, 2 races in 1 day (sprint race & classic race), new rivers, relaxed atmosphere (need I say more?) As a winter cross training tool it is fantastic; and I challenge any slalom paddler who thinks they are fit to complete a 22+ minute Tryweryn race and see how they are then.

For those not in the know, river racing has both sprint races, similar duration to slalom races (so definitely the same energy systems etc) and the classic race , duration of between 8 mins (hard work but bearable) and 30 mins (hard work and painful).

There are races coming up in September, a sprint race on the whitewater course at HPP on the 9th, then on Washburn on 30th sept. More details on the wildwater racing website. Dan Goddard even competed in the sprint race the other year in his slalom boat!

mwilk

Post by mwilk » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:38 pm

I agree with everthing you say and have thought about taking it up ..... but .... the boats are so ugly !

newideas

Post by newideas » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:26 pm

I disagree, the boats are not ugly. Mine's beautiful. It is black with orange flames on the deck and glitter, what more could you want? It is also for sale if anyone's interested would suit a small paddler ie. small women, junior girls, and small junior boys. It's a Double Dutch Advantage check it out at http://jenny-baby.fotopic.net/ Reason for sale: I've grown out of it.

jon lords hammond

Post by jon lords hammond » Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:49 am

I agree with everything apart from boats being ugly, it makes you far more aware of forward paddling and getting the maximun out of each stroke, it also makes you stronger which for myself is a major benefit as strength is my biggest weakness, it is also far better value for money than slalom. Its also a great challenge(and very frustrating to begin with), as the boat handles completely differently from a slalom boat. Dont be afraid give a go and find out for yourself

Yester Years Kayak

Post by Yester Years Kayak » Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:21 pm

And Richard Fox was a member of the GB Wildwater racing team at the 89 Savage worlds.......

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:25 am

Didn't do Bushy Hedges too much harm either, WWR worlds, 1977, 1981,and Slalom Team/Worlds bronze 1985
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

katonas

Post by katonas » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:06 am

Questions, questions and ...

How stable are they ?
Do your knees brace against the sides to allow you to roll easily ?
Are they harder to turn than a sea kayak ?
Are most second hand boats sold at events ?

I'm 5ft 9 and weigh 11st (70kg) and wouldn't mind giving it a go. :)

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:58 pm

Well, old style answers, from when I knew what to do:

They feel unstable when you first get in, but that soon goes away, and are much more stable when moving.

Of course your knees brace, how else would you get straps on? Oh you mean kayak :laugh: when I was playing at them, my knees could brace for rolls, but were loose enough to 'walk' the boat when sprinting.

They are easier to turn than the sea kayaks I have paddled as long as you remember to lean turn them. That is lean to the outside of the bend, and again speed helps. Even better is a few waves, then time it right and they are very responsive. After all if you've seen a WWR C2, they have to be to get down Trweryn fast routes!

Havent been to a wacky race for ages, but the WWR web site has a for sale section http://www.wildwater.org.uk/intro/sales.htm Although it quiet now. The web page has a calendar and race guides on it
There are also links to a discussion board with Adverts

ps also on the board is that the DEE WWR Race is back, 1st weekend in November. A GREAT way to enjoy the Dee. They managed to
piggy back on slalom negotiations
So extra well done to Jim McC
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

Dutch Geezer

Post by Dutch Geezer » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:08 pm

newideas wrote:It's a Double Dutch Advantage check it out at http://jenny-baby.fotopic.net/ Reason for sale: I've grown out of it.

This boat would be a good starter, the RAF have a few of them and they are used by paddlers up to about 12 stone. Volume should not be an issue unless you intend taking it to places with massive waves and drops.

They are great for winter aerobic training, you dont get quite so wet as you do in a slalom boat, you go further for similar effort and if you get into river racing you learn to look for the faster flow and that feeds back into the lines you take in slalom. The quickest line isn't necessarily the shortest or most direct.

katonas

Post by katonas » Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:27 pm

Thanks for all the tips. I think I'll go to the Usk race on Oct 28th and see if I can borrow a boat for a taster. :) :p