Help - paddle outs

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
canoebabe88

Post by canoebabe88 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:49 pm

Does any one on hear do paddle outs or any aerobic exercise and take their heart rate and blood pressure before and after?
if so i would love to hear from you regarding help with my college work

Thanks Heather

mole

Post by mole » Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:49 pm

esther does on a friday night.

ur m8 james!!!!!!!!!!!! :p
moly boy who cant spel

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:04 pm

mole wrote:esther does on a friday night.

ur m8 james!!!!!!!!!!!! :p

Surely it would be the paddlers that would be better off doing it rather than Esther??

I don't think Canoebabe is meaning in a swimming pool, more structured paddle-out sessions on a lake, canal or river or work with weight's, treadmill etc when there is before and after readings taken so you can see the differance to your BP and heart rate that the exercise makes.
Paddle fast,,,Paddle safe Yorkshire Canoe Coaching

mole

Post by mole » Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:48 pm

sorry i was only tyin 2 help
she does do weights!!! :angry:
moly boy who cant spel

canoebabe88

Post by canoebabe88 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:06 pm

Does she take your blood pressure and heart rate?
No i dont do weights
I need propper paddle out like 3 laps round Hatfield that i know you lot dont do any more.

so does anyone else do anythink like that or just take there heart rate and blood pressure at any time?

I need your Help

ninja

Post by ninja » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:14 pm

we do sometimes do laps of hatfield, but we do do alot of sprints at the start of the session and ester would let you paddle around the lake if you wanted to at the end.
about the bp and heart rate, you can buy porable bp machins for about £15 and you can get watches that tell you your heart rate prity cheap to. :p
nobody's perfect.................................................i'm nobody

canoebabe88

Post by canoebabe88 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:52 am

I have the right things to dio it I just need more peoples results

katonas

Post by katonas » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:38 pm

canoebabe88 wrote:Does any one on hear do paddle outs or any aerobic exercise and take their heart rate and blood pressure before and after?
if so i would love to hear from you regarding help with my college work

Thanks Heather
Hi Heather,
I occasionally use a waterproof heart rate monitor to make sure I'm not going to peg out. I have a couple of bp machines, but only my wrist monitor would give results soon after exercise because of the time to take off kit for an upper arm machine. Can you tell us more about your college work ? I'm trying to get fit over the winter so I'd be happy to provide some data.

canoebabe88

Post by canoebabe88 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:47 am

what I am doing is a set distance paddle out 2 times a week taking my heart rate and blood pressure, I am also doing all my normal training but do not take BP or heart rate, and I am seeing if with all my training my heart rate and BP dose not increase as much after my paddle outs. So that’s what I am doing but you could do 30m sprints for example and if you could time it to see more improvement that would be nice

I use a wrist one as that’s all I have and it seems to do the job ok

My college work is an IVA (Integrated vocational assignment
) for my BTEC Sports and exercise science course and I have chosen to do an assignment on heart rate and blood pressure and how to improve it and what has a greater effect on your heart (So how much it goes up by) so if your heart rate is greater after a 30m sprint or a 30 minuet paddle out

katonas

Post by katonas » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:39 pm

The data will be hard to interpret because of the variation in work intensity. After exercise the speed with which you/we get the bp monitor out of its waterproof bag and get a reading will have a big influence on the readings which should decrease rapidly at rest. Perhaps an alternative study design which would measure fitness is how long it takes for bp/hr to fall after the exercise. These could be compared to pre-exercise values.

BP = HR * Stroke volume (amount of blood pumped out of the heart with each beat) * Peripheral Vascular Resistance (increased by cold weather for instance)

BP is dependent on a lot of variables. If you focussed on just the heart rate then results would be easier to interpret, quicker to take and you'd have a lot more participants (its easy to count your radial pulse). Those with hr monitors could also record max hr during the exercise as a measure of the intensity of the work.

At its simplest perhaps just resting hr before exercise, and T=0, 3 min after exercise (hr counted over 30 sec and doubled). You could look at recovery rates within the same individuals depending on whether they are doing a short sprint, longer paddle or repeated runs.

katonas

Post by katonas » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:49 pm

Correction: It does take a bit of practice to accurately count a radial pulse at high rates, so a wrist monitor is still ideal (mine reads off a chest strap so its pretty accurate). :;):

ninja

Post by ninja » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:26 pm

canoebabe88 wrote:I just need more peoples results
ders plenty o people down on a thursday nite :p
nobody's perfect.................................................i'm nobody