Selection 2007 - Did you know...?

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
Pingu

Post by Pingu » Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:50 pm

surveyme wrote:Dear Cambell

I'm sure you're a very nice chap and all that - but what an egotistical and arrogant comment you make. Not a good example to the younger paddlers at all. Surely the route to future glory is to find ways of encouraging and supporting them - not just saying it worked for you (at present, it seems it only works for the three )or not many more) of you that you quoted!).

It is wholly wrong for any committee member to divulge any "draft or incomplete policy" details outside of their committee. They should now have the decency to resign or the Chairman should publicly reprimand them (if not remove them from the committee). What is known by some MUST be known by all - how else can the system be fair?

As regardless personal attacks, this is not helpful. However strong leadership and communication would help these to disappear.

Surveyme. Everyone has a right to their opinions but your comments don't make sense to me.

I've re-read Campbell's reply to Quaker and it seems an honest view.

You say that personal attacks don't help....and then accuse Campbell of being arrogant and egotistical. If it wasn't for the absence of any grammatical errors in your post, I might have excused your comments, assuming that you'd been on the pop!!
Out of Darkness cometh Light

chauffeur

Post by chauffeur » Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:15 pm

Any dates for Junior selection races yet? :D

andy n

Post by andy n » Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:06 pm

Quote from current Canoe Slalom web page:

"The International Panel will be deliberating the finer points over the next 10 days and a draft selection document will be published by 4th November 2006 for general comment.

The Junior selection policy is still in the discussion stages but a draft policy will also be published by 4th November.

Anne Hounslow
Chair - International Panel"

So where are they then?

Anne

Post by Anne » Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:06 pm

Sorry my fault, the draft was sent to me on Friday for final approval before publication but I had already left for Nottingham for Slalom Committee meeting so didn't see it until my return late Sat evening.

Hopefully both will be published in next day or so!

chauffeur

Post by chauffeur » Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:12 pm

Any chance of knowing the presumably three venues of the Junior selection races?

surveyme

Post by surveyme » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:41 am

Pingu

My grammer ain't what it used to be - a long time since since I left school. However that doesn't change the fact of what Campbell said. Nor the fact that we're all still waiting to know the venues and dates - poor communication - or the outcome of the Chariman's consideration of the conduct of her committee.

Anne

Post by Anne » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:31 pm

If you would care to look the draft senior/U23 selection document is now posted on the World Class web site. The junior sghould follow tomorrow. It will appear on this site as soon as Nick (a volunteer) has time.

Surveyme - As to your last sentence it is nonsense - doesn't make any sense at all! please remember we are all volunteers, have full time jobs and families so if things run a little late so be it - we get there eventually! Care to lend a hand?

surveyme

Post by surveyme » Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:05 am

Anne wrote:If you would care to look the draft senior/U23 selection document is now posted on the World Class web site. The junior sghould follow tomorrow. It will appear on this site as soon as Nick (a volunteer) has time.

Surveyme - As to your last sentence it is nonsense - doesn't make any sense at all! please remember we are all volunteers, have full time jobs and families so if things run a little late so be it - we get there eventually! Care to lend a hand?
Dear Anne

The answer is yes (or maybe?) - tell me what you have in mind and I'll be the first to say if I can do it. The trouble I have with volunteering is that I really don't like the way some things are done and the manner in which some people behave. I'd rather be away from it.

As regard my last posting, I have to disagree with you and hope that you read my first posting to which the sentence refers. I repeat "It is wholly wrong for any committee member to divulge any "draft or incomplete policy" details outside of their committee. They should now have the decency to resign or the Chairman should publicly reprimand them (if not remove them from the committee). What is known by some MUST be known by all - how else can the system be fair?"

As you say, the junior selection isn't (or leaast wasn't) posted - that being the main interest (for me) - and you still have made no comment on the way "rumours" started in this case by committee members dilvulging information in what I consider a unfair manner (i.e. to a limited audience).

campbell

Post by campbell » Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:12 pm

Dear SurveyMe,

thankyou very much for the personal attack (see posting on 5th November).

I can't really understand why you addressed a posting to me and started ranting about the conduct of the slalom committee in regard to this matter. I have no connection to the slalom committee and was simply giving my view on the subject of Selection in 2007 - which I am perfectly entitled to do, regardless of my standing in the sport!

Secondly, I was defending the World Class Program, which again, I am perfectly entitled to do.

I get the feeling that some (not all!) of the comments on this thread are by observers who look at selection races and the World Class Programs from the outside. By this, I mean they are not currently actively participating in either of the two. This means that their view is sometimes limited and uneducated.

I thought it would be of interest to the readers of this forum to see the opinions and thoughts of one of the top paddlers for whom Selection Races and the operation of the World Class Program are of upmost importance. I do not compete in canoe slalom simply as a pasttime - it is my life. World Class are effectively my employers and my race results affect my salary. Hence, both subjects are a massive interest to me.

Campbell

Anne

Post by Anne » Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:18 pm

I have no idea how the rumors started! ther are a lot of people out there involved in putting together a selection document, so exacly what was said and by whom will never be known. we know we will never get everything right all of the time -that is the nature of the human race. However there are a lot of people putting in a lot of time and hard work to keep the sport going, paid staff, many volunteers and paddlers many of whom you have criticised in your postings, as we have no idea who you are as you do not have the guts to reveal your identity unlike myself and Campbell.

I do hope you will be at the ACM where you can introduce yourself and discuss your issues.

Anne

surveyme

Post by surveyme » Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:37 am

I always find that with this type of forum more and more comment is forthcoming from the parties when what is said really hits home to somebody. Clearly the truth hurts.

Campbell. If you look at what I said, this isn't a personal attack but simply a statement of how I percieved your commentary. How can you take the words "Personally, I dont really care .... " as anything other than arrogance - a quality that all good sportsman and women should have (in small doses) to help them achieve their top performance. However if you feel this is not so, I respect your opinion - perhaps you'll do the same for mine?

In any case, I fully respect somebody - as yourself - with the talent to make it to the very top of their sport. It does require dedication and effort. I wish you every success in the future.

Anne. Once again I must also take issue with you - I know this is frustrating. You say the sport is being supported by (amongst others) paddlers " ...... many of whom you (surveyme) have criticised in your postings .....". This isn't true and only goes to show what a lack of interest or enthusiasm you must have in reading what I say. OK, so that's your perogative. However to correct that statement, to date I believe that I have made very few postings - and I'm sure the author of this site can easily confirm this - and only ONE posting toward a paddler's comments (i.e. Campbell). If I am wrong, please do correct me and quote my previous "rants and raves" to all and sundry. If as you suggest I am not truthful or correct, I will apologise without hesitation to you and everyone else.

From my perspective, it also seems to be a sorry state of affairs when your "defence" to my comments and suggestions is to resort to playground taunting of "you do not have the guts to reveal your identity". You have asked this of me before and again I say that this forum doesn't require ANYONE to identify themselves (if they choose not to) although at least one person has solved this riddle - John Macleod - by writing to me on my email. One day I might choose to make myself known to you and everyone. In the meantime, I would expect you and anyone else to allow me the privilege of anonymity (as I do to anyone else who wants it).

Have you considered however that my comments have already been made in the open to appropriate persons within "the sport"? It seems not, (or maybe these are chosen to be ignored?). My assertion on the question of my voluntary involvement in the future seems also to have gone unoticed (or perhaps the sport doesn't appear to want to take up my previous offer - perhaps because you may not wish to or feel you cannot work with me?). I'll leave that for another day.

Anne

Post by Anne » Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:20 am

Actually I only respond on this forum in defence when I feel the comments are really uncalled for! OK the selection policy was a week late - but it was important to get aopinions from all of the International Panel.

I do also have a full time job and a family to deal with as well as the Slalom Committee. I do this job out of the love of the suport I have been involved in for over 30 years, both as a paddler (a long time ago) and as a parent.

It is easy to e-mail you without knowing who you are through this site!

I have better things to do with my time that try and work out who you are, like, running races, sorting selection policies, the calander, the ACM, the year book, a development plan et. etc. etc. Slagging the committee off in this way in unproductive and unhelpful, ufortunately this type of forum only atteracts criticism, rarely the support many people give us.

Come along to the ACM as already stated and discuss how you can help support the sport. I have in previous threads stated that I am unwilling to get into pesonal dialogue without knowing who I am talking to, you know who I am, why shouldn't we be on equal terms?

Your attack on Campbell was extremely personal, he like many of the elite paddlers work extremely hard at putting back into the sport and do not deserve that sort of criticism, and you very obviously don't like the committee or what it does!Your comments are very unconstructive!

KJG

Post by KJG » Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:33 pm

Mrs Anne Hounslow

What hypocrisy.

I, along with many others have watched the many postings on this subject, but I find I can no longer ignore the attack on 'surveyme' who has merely questioned the lack of openness and transparency in the initial stages of the Senior selection process.

[Edited by moderator in response to a complaint]

Anne, you should consider answering Surveyme's question directly. As chair of the selection committee, you may not have been responsible for what was said initially and led to the opening of this topic, but you sure are responsible for the management of that committee and its actions when proposed policy is leaked/given to selected athletes.

I would take this opportunity to thank all those organisers and BCU employees who I know read these topics and have helped, sadly without success, to try and solve problems with the slalom committee over the last twelve months.

Keith J Goddard

Edited By SteveM on 1163370871

Dave Royle

Post by Dave Royle » Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:42 pm

I should think Anne is considering her resignation now, after that. Perhaps, you should ask the question - "will we be better off?". I don't think there is a better candidate waiting in the wings. If there was, I'm sure Anne would be pleased to get rid of the headache.

Stick to your guns, Anne. People only post here to whinge. You don't have to respond, especially to unknown writers.

SteveM
Site Admin

Post by SteveM » Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:49 pm

Hello all. Just a quick note to explain the edited posting above.

While I can appreciate that this subject is an emotive one and close to many peoples hearts, I cannot tolerate the posting of potentially libellous remarks on this board.

The sort of remarks I have edited out could potentially see this site closed. I've no wish to restrict freedom of expression and you should all note that my intervention is very rare. Please allow me to keep it this way.

There has been much talk of "personal attacks" in the previous couple of pages which as an outsider to the thread I cannot really understand. Reading through the postings there seems to be a number of small misunderstandings which are snowballing out of control. Could everyone take a metaphorical deep breath, count to three, and then continue posing in a calmer and more considered manner.

Thanks,

Steve (Board Admin)

[edited to correct spelling]

Edited By SteveM on 1163371873