2007 DRAFT Calendar - Its DRAFT, so DO NOT BOOK ANYTHING

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:04 am

After last years general 'have a go session' the draft calendar for 2007 was not published early. It's our own fault, lots of people had a go at the volunteers trying to sort things out.

The draft calendar is finally available now on the Proteus Web site, BUT do not treat it as final. It is still draft and may change right up to the Annual Meeting.

If you take this information and make any firm bookings as a result it is completely at your own risk. Do not complain, winge or expect any sympathy.

(ADVERT): do not forget the Proteus Winter Slalom this weekend :D
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

Seedy Paddler

Post by Seedy Paddler » Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:11 am

:(

May even change after the ACM, proposals for the greater good and removal of tri-division events sounds well and good until you involve the organisers who tell you that they need the three divisions in order to remain viable and sustainable. Much as I personally do not like the 2,3,4 format I have to recognise that in the situation of refusal to permit such events, slalom in Scotland will suffer significant and unredeemable shortfalls. Event organisers are already taking a bullish stance and as Slalom in Scotland is managed and administered by the SCA, they are not specifically tied to ACM decisions! Hence there may be much debate before we have a finalised calendar.

chauffeur

Post by chauffeur » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:13 am

LLandysul in October draws many Div one's, will so many go the long distance for one day of racing for points??

Who is going to help the young up and coming paddlers in division one to get a team together to race? They don't always know many other paddlers to ask to race with them, and top paddlers don't invite them to paddle in their team as they are slowed down.

FatBoy

Post by FatBoy » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:11 am

With the will to reduce the number of Div 1 races there was always going to be casualties on the calendar. Personally I'm not sure of the need for this - only a handful of top people chasing promotion attend all and the number or races is being reduced to make less people get promoted. The net effect may work for this but the rest of us who maybe make 10 races in a good year just simply go to less races.

I guess with 3 races Washburn was always going to lose one, and even though it's one of my two favourite venues (Tully is the other if you're wondering) I'm not that upset about that. However Llandysul losing one day is silly. Again those chasing promotion will go anyway, but I'm afraid I won't be which is a shame I like it there.

I guess Llandysul may have something to say on the matter at the ACM so perhaps we'll take the calendar as very very provisional for now.