Sponsorship crisis!!!!!! - i need help

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
katonas

Post by katonas » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:19 pm

Can anyone provide a list of current sponsors for top paddlers, and suggest some new ones ?

My wife spent 2 years in a job specifically looking for sponsorship for a concert hall. She contacted hundreds of people / businesses. If you draft a letter, send it to me and I'll show it to her. Start making a list of potential sponsors using Yellow pages, google etc. Companies with website addresses like http://www.whitewater.co.uk/ might be interested. :cool:

phatboy-lister

Post by phatboy-lister » Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:54 pm

lol :p thanks for all your comments i have made a note of them and to let people know of course i am grateful of all the support that i get and i wouldnt be where i am today if it werent for some people jut that im struggling and feel bad for my parents forking out all that money and i want to give them some back!!!

and another point im tired of being mocked at school and places for being a kayaker so i want to also help in any way possible to raise the profile of canoeing to prove to them and to others that its hardly a wimps sport!!!

katonas

Post by katonas » Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:50 pm

They're probably 'mocking' because they're insanely jealous. How can you compare football, rugby etc with racing down a raging torrent... :;):

phatboy-lister

Post by phatboy-lister » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:58 pm

lol true!!!:D

phil-cooke

Post by phil-cooke » Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:25 pm

ahh well you see football is a group of men kicking a bag of wind around a field. canoe polo involves throwing a bag of wind into a net. and canoe polo helps with strength training for canoe slalom got it! yay lol sorry just had to put that

you cant drown from football or rugby but u can sure break bones canoeing!

good luck matty!

p.s bag of wind= ball

woza

Post by woza » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:11 pm

bag of wind = ball?? could also mean hipo lips :laugh:

Dutch Geezer

Post by Dutch Geezer » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:59 pm

Here are some of my own personal thoughts that might be useful to anyone in this position. If anyone thinks my ideas are rubbish dont bother slagging them off, put your energy to a better use and put up your own thoughts for people to consider

The slalom world is quite small, there is very little TV time given to canoeing as a whole, so the chances of getting a big firm to sponsor you are quite slim, unless you have a good inside contact. I personally would not waste a lot of time or money on big firms until you had something special to offer them.

Find an angle, gimmick, something which makes you unique and of interest to potential sponsors.

If you are looking at local firms, get their logo's and do some computer images of your boat and kit with their logo on it. Impress on them that their logo on your boat will be seen all the time it is on your car travelling all over the country. if you dont have the computer skills, find someone who has and learn fast.

Get the local paper on side, offer them something in return for free advertising. A weekly diary, competition reports, anything to keep your name and picture appearing in the LOCAL paper. Blow your own trumpet, you will be the next british "Campbell Walsh / Helen Reeves stood on the olympic podium in 2012". (sorry Campbell).

Try and find companies who have sponsored paddlers in the past and see if there is still any interest there. if they say no, you could always ask why they decided to move away from canoeing ? It might help you to target other companies.

Approach your local business link, look them up on the internet. They have lots of contacts with small local companies, ask if they have any clients they could put you in touch with.

Think of it like a job application where you are sending a CV, you have 20 seconds to make an impression before the paper is scrunched up and filed in the bin. if you do have computer skills and can make a website, put all the action photo's on there and give them the link to that page. you could always show the page with their details on it so they can see the potential for themselves.

Have a look at the books on writing a CV, they tell you to find out about the company, get a contact name, make each application very personal and tailored to that company. Work clever, have one set of text that can be easily amended to suit different businesses.

Text speak is easy for your friends to understand, but some 50 year old finance director might not be quite so hip. Try and send it in english and dont put all your trust in Microsoft spell checkers, paddle or peddle is just one example that a spell checker will not pick up.

I would post an application on Monday and send an email copy on the Wednesday, email is easier to forward through a company. If it arrives on a monday, will they have time to look at it or will it be put to one side and forgotten about. Same with a friday, the weekend is coming, get the loose ends tied up and go at lunchtime, deal with it on monday!.

I would keep a list of all the applications I send off. If a company says no, you could contact them and ask if they would give you some feedback on your application, who knows once you get dialogue going anything could happen. If they dont reply at all, its debateable as to whether to waste any more time on them, definetly not money.

Speak with the teachers who teach business studies at your school , who knows they may have ideas or be willing to help. Has any one ever done a project on getting sponsorship

Most of all though remember that sponsorship is a 2 way thing, they want something in return and if you want to keep any sponsorship you do get, you will have to be prepared to give back time and effort in promoting them.

Make sure you keep it all in balance, there is no point putting all your energy into getting sponsorship if you are too tired or dejected to train.

Maybe other people could add ideas.

frontman

Post by frontman » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:56 pm

Ok - without the jokes this time. I wasnt meaning to give offence if I did in my last post.

During my time I have been very sucessful in getting sponsorship. However, this was always through working for/with a company. My biggest sponsor, Capital One (what's in my wallet?!!) were not interested in getting national recognition for their product through canoeing (they went on to sponsor Sheffield Utd to get TV time). What they were looking for was saying 'we're a great company to work for - look what we do for our staff'. As it was, I got far more out of it than they did - they ran some stuff in local & national papers, did a stint on local TV (because I paddled to work) - and gave me 5 grand per year. That was a very big personal sponsor compared to pretty much anyone else.
This photo shows what they did to my riverracing boat - and my slalom boats were much better designed than that with website & logo all over it. Some some photoshop images with the companies logo on can do the world of good.

Perhaps the most sucessful slalomist at sponsorship is Helen Barnes - if you can catch up with her she may be able to give you some ideas - however, she went at her sponsorship that she was a world record holder (at canoe rolling - maybe you could have a go at the record?)

Think small companies - make sure you are in local papers alot - it's especially good to get in with someone on the sports desk of a paper - otherwise they wont mention any sponsors name. Offer to take staff for canoeing sessions, photo sessions, and make sure that the company know what they will get in return. Never be seen behaving badly or being rude to playboaters if you have a sponsors name on your boat (even if they did pull out at you in the muncher on what would otherwise be your best run ever.......).

gyms may often be of help - the easiest sort of sponsorship that you can get I think is one where you are not asking for cash, but some service which doesnt actually cost the company any money.

At the end of the day, you need some results to show what level you are at. Dont know who you are or what you race, but saying that you are 10/12th in the country for your agegroup or that you won the regional event for your age or whatever, all sounds good. If you are in the England/GB/World Class team all adds support to your application.

Unfortunately the vast majority of paddlers dont have sponsorship; and even if you look at the top guys, most of the sponsors re linked to canoeing/sport in someway. It's quite rare to get something completely seperate to canoeing.

PS. Frontman2 - still got the video of you and Backman sat in the eddy below the pyramid going all 'duracell bunny' without actually moving - hilarious!!!!!

phatboy-lister

Post by phatboy-lister » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:51 pm

Cheers all been noted!!