Money, money, money... - BCU's cut of entry fees

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
katonas

Post by katonas » Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:23 pm

Is it true the BCU takes a cut of entry fees for slalom races ?

I've always assumed that the BCU should subsidize events (particularly if entries are low), let alone take money away. ???

Anne

Post by Anne » Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:10 pm

The levys are paid to the slalom committee not the BCU. Without thr levies there would be no money to run the sport!

katonas

Post by katonas » Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:25 pm

Surely the BCU should pay the slalom committee instead of event organisers, if it wants to encourage the sport. ???

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:51 pm

The BCU does not pay event organisers, and 45% of entry fees go to the slalom committee (except div 4 and open events)

The clubs 55% Ppays for site hiore, prizes, replacing gear, hiring the timing (from the slalom committee) and if there is anything left a profit foro teh club. Think about the amount left for a club running an event for 30 div 3 paddlers . . . not much
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

katonas

Post by katonas » Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:19 pm

If the BCU paid the slalom committee (instead of slalom organisers paying the committee) I presume it would only be a small fraction of their income from BCU membership fees, and it would go a long way towards supporting events. If clubs suffer financially or even come close to running at a loss then the BCU has failed to support canoeing. :(

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:11 pm

If a ranking slalom runs at a loss, the club can pay the 45% of income and then apply to the committee for support for the loss. Normally heard symapthetically, and admin fee is returned (NB it is an admin fee as this it VAT free, levies are VATable).
The BCU does not fund any competitive branch at the grass roots (as far as I am aware). It passes lottery money to the world class department, and gves a (reducing) grant to teh slalom committee that goes on a number of things, such as training grants. A full picture of the finances will be made available at the ACM this weekend, if you are interested come along, or ask your club rep for a copy of the accounts or if neither of those are possible PM me and I will scan a set of accounts in and send them to you, then try to answer any questions, either by pm or <advert> AT THE NEXT PROTEUS WINTER SLALOM SUNDAY 17 DECEMBER Kick offf brught forwarfd to eleven</advert> :) - or point you at a nice man who can answer questions. That is if the treasurer himself does not contact you. I believe he posts here sometimes, under a pseudonym of course.
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

Pingu

Post by Pingu » Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:56 pm

I speak to the Treasurer regularly. He has read these posts but he's too busy finishing off the accounts to reply personally.

He told me to thank CP for replying (so accurately) on his behalf. As CP says, the full financial information for the Slalom committee will be reported at the ACM.
Out of Darkness cometh Light

Mel

Post by Mel » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:42 pm

Does not the committee receive exchequer funding of 25k per year for
running slalom which includes support for events at division 4 and clubs
that make a loss running the events for them.

Double Standards

Members of the slalom committee posts on this board under a pseudonym -
gosh

Yet others posting on this board are criticised by that same committee
chair, and administrator for not posting their names..............

This needs an answer from them

Mel

Fairweather Paddler

Post by Fairweather Paddler » Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:22 am

For Information

Back in July this year I became aware of funding stream that could bring £50+K of money to groups working with young people and in sports.

I contacted the BCU to see if anyone was aware of this, I even offered to help work up an application and seek the matching required.

The amount of money available meant that this was better suited to the BCU as the governing body rather than individual clubs, although it could be broken down to be discipline specific.

You may not be surprised to discover that they were not interested!! 'They recieve enough income without having to go chasing' :angry: Is that because they rip off the members??

Interestingly the BCU is the only NGB I am aware of who does not have a funding officer. They just sit and wait for money to be offered to them.

Wendy Slater