Automatic Promotion to Prem at Last Race - Should this be allowed to continue?

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good

Automatic Promotion to Prem at Last Race - Should this be allowed to continue?

Yes
20%
No
80%

Total votes: 40

mk1zetec

Post by mk1zetec » Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:36 pm

raeofsunshine wrote:I didnt make it to the second weekend, what happened?
Good question, if anyone feels qualified to tell all what did happen, i am feeling nosey and would like to know.

chauffeur

Post by chauffeur » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:02 pm

mole wrote:Yes but ninja it could be over in two weekends. a double win on one and a win another :p

Totally different concept to a one off race.

"Good question, if anyone feels qualified to tell all what did happen, I am feeling nosey and would like to know" mk1zetec Nov 1 2006, 16.36

I don' think anyone will venture to put it in writing here no matter how many of you ask. That might not be sportsman like to do so.

fishy

Post by fishy » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:11 am

mk1zetec wrote:
raeofsunshine wrote:I didnt make it to the second weekend, what happened?

Good question, if anyone feels qualified to tell all what did happen, i am feeling nosey and would like to know.
yweah what did happen? who got promoted?

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:36 am

If you look at the ranking list, and the results, you can see who were the top div 1 paddelrs in each class.
They are the ones that got promoted.

As to what happened. . . . Well MK1 and C1 promotions were decided on Saturday. K1W, three ladies managed to make it to the semi final on Saturday. Remember that in this case there were THREE young div 1 ladies who made the semi final. All should be congratulated for getting such good runs. There could be a case for saying if you do not reach the semi final you do not get promoted, but these girls all beat prem ladies to get there, so are all good enough. Well done ladies :D

Various things happened during the first run, resulting in one of the competitors getting a re run. I understand there was a lot of soul searching from the paddler concerned before taking the re run. The re run was much better than the first run.

As a result the same lady was top Div 1 on Saturday and Sunday, so got promoted.

There are all sorts of other 'facts' around. I only saw one small part of the events, so will not comment further in public. Thats it folks, no more from me, and I have probably said too much anyway. Come and talk to me at <ADVERT>The Proteus Winter Slalom on Sunday 19 November (or Sunday 17 December) and I may be less discrete (or I may just take your entry money!<ADVERT OFF>

Be interesting to see if the slalom committee brings forward a motion to change this, or uses it's discretion to alter promotion at the British Open. I seem to remember that it was brought in for many reasons including:
* Internationally, our up and coming paddlers will be competeing in this format, (Qualification, semi and final) so it is a good test of those that can perform 'on the day' rather than those who are consistently good.
* Hoped to bring more interest to the event and encourage the top Div 1 paddlers to attend - seems to have had a mixed reaction to this.
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

chauffeur

Post by chauffeur » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:43 pm

Canadian PAddler wrote:Remember that in this case there were THREE young div 1 ladies who made the semi final. All should be congratulated for getting such good runs. There could be a case for saying if you do not reach the semi final you do not get promoted, but these girls all beat prem ladies to get there, so are all good enough. Well done ladies :D
Here, here to the above.

The thread began my asking how we ensure good sportemanship though. The re run issue is what has raised most comments.

Anyway the whole issue of automatic promotions is now for the committee to discuss and decide what they feel is best.

Train2Win

Post by Train2Win » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:06 pm

I think there are two different issues here: unsporting behaviour and whether the laat raqce of the season should include automatic promotion.

On the matter of promotion, I think leaving it all open right down to the last race, makes it exciting and gives paddlers who haven't been able to attend many races the opppurtunity to get to Prem.

On the matter of unsporting behaviour, the paddler concerned was obviously, from what I have heard, lucky to be rewarded a re-run and may have been oportunist, but I don't think she cheated, she just took advantage of the rules. However, perhaps the jury should have used their discretion and denied the appeal for a re-run?

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:28 pm

Look at the minutes from teh slalom exec. They say that the independent Jury chairman saw the event, and awarded the rerun.

The rest of us did not see the event, or may be biased, even me. So I agree
I don't think she cheated, she just took advantage of the rules

I still congartulate all three who made the final.
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

chauffeur

Post by chauffeur » Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:10 pm

Canadian PAddler wrote:Look at the minutes from teh slalom exec. They say that the independent Jury chairman saw the event, and awarded the rerun.

Interesting!!

Not sure all this has been totally accurately reported. It is a rather brief statement.
Who saw it? When spoken to on the day, it did not seem to reflect the above quote.

chauffeur

Post by chauffeur » Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:45 pm

The post was about automatic promotion which clearly needs thinking about.
Also, there are no clerar rules regarding re-runs, so perhaps the issue of when re-runs are given needs more attention.
The event gave food for thought, not a bad thing for any sport.

steve

Post by steve » Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:03 pm

Where is the love?

canoecrazy

Post by canoecrazy » Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:42 pm

i agree with phat boy because if a paddler has just gott promoted from div 2 to 1 and there first race is town falls what if they win and they don't want to get promoted to prem...they kind of be happy in a way but they are bound to hate it after a while so yes i think that there sould be a choise of promotion to prem or take the 1000 points.