Automatic Promotion to Prem at Last Race - Should this be allowed to continue?

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good

Automatic Promotion to Prem at Last Race - Should this be allowed to continue?

Yes
20%
No
80%

Total votes: 40

66-1146487544

Post by 66-1146487544 » Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:47 pm

Should it be allowed to continue?

Personally I think it creates more hassle than it is worth and can force paddlers into very unsportsperson like behaviour just to achieve promotion off a single race.

Please add your views so this can be raised at the ACM next month.

Anne

Post by Anne » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:32 am

The only way this can be discussed and voted on at the ACM is if it is presented as a motion by a club or the slalom committee as per the regulations. If you feel strongly about it get your club to put forward a motion.

Kev.S

Post by Kev.S » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:37 am

Boat Sherpa wrote:Should it be allowed to continue?

Absolutely not!

Judging from the fiasco on Sunday it should be scrapped, as you say unsporting behaviour crept in.

The young girl who believed she had won promotion, was robbed of it, by a decision to allow a very dubious rerun to another contender after being allegedly impeded, this was allowed despite a 50 second penalty being awarded prior to the (alleged impediment!)

And before any one asks! yes my own daughter was racing, despite the fact that I strongly disagree with promotion in this format.
To err is human, if you really want to screw up, use a computer!!

canoebabe88

Post by canoebabe88 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:34 am

I do agree that it does bring in more unsporting behaviour that is one realson why i did not go.
but even at a Div 1 race there is unsporting behavour by the men more that the girls but its part of the sport as its a compertition and every one wants to win

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:34 pm

What is the point of people racing all year and trying to win promotion genuinley when you could just turn up and do one race and win promotion, no it has to stop!
Paddle fast,,,Paddle safe Yorkshire Canoe Coaching

chauffeur

Post by chauffeur » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:32 pm

Another way of looking at it - if we are looking at cutting the number of promotions, or lowering the number in Prem/Div1, surely it is a must to take this event out of the Calander.

canoebabe88

Post by canoebabe88 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:57 pm

but that one race will not olter the numbers in prem/Div 1 as they are still there this needs to be changed other ways so numbers dont get too high.
i do understand that someone can have a good run and get premoted but this needs to be constitant rather than they had a lucky run other wise you get people premoted who have only paddled on a few Div 1 courses and may not be ready for Prem

i dont know who did get promoted so this is not against them in any way

Dave Royle

Post by Dave Royle » Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:48 pm

I think most people agree that the rule should go. It has not been a great success for those promoted last year.

Also, quite a few paddlers stay away deliberately which weekens the field. Due to in season promotion in Div 1 the strength of competition is not so high at this time of year anyway. If there was no in season promotion, this race would be a completely different story.

ninja

Post by ninja » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:09 pm

canoebabe88 wrote:'only paddled on a few Div 1 courses and may not be ready for Prem'

yeh but you have to win 3 races to get out of div 1 so it will be over more than one weekend
nobody's perfect.................................................i'm nobody

phatboy-lister

Post by phatboy-lister » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:12 pm

The first div 1 paddler should be given the choice whether they would like to be promoted to prem or not and then further the choice if yes should go to a senior paddler who is ranked higly or a senior coach whether or not they have the skill required to compete in prem or if they will just be an embarrasment to the division and the level of competition we have here:)

Kay_Brads

Post by Kay_Brads » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:51 pm

Well to behonest i am a Div 1 paddler and did think it was a good idea untill this weekend....but now im not too sure as people can cheat!!! It can be just pure luck on the weekend really, so you could do really bad through out the season and then at this particular weekend you could have two really lucky runs and get into the semi's and then have another good run and then win and O luck your promoted! Then race next year in prem MAYBE coming from the middle of a class not ready to be promoted and then O golly you have no practise and your racing in prem.....

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:39 am

ninja wrote:yeh but you have to win 3 races to get out of div 1 so it will be over more than one weekend
Read the title of the thread!

You probably have not had it explained to you, but at the open the winning Div1 boat's get promoted to Prem and it does not matter about doing well at other races throughout the year it is this race that can get you promotion regardless of how well or badly you have done all year.
Paddle fast,,,Paddle safe Yorkshire Canoe Coaching

quaker

Post by quaker » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:25 am

I wouldn't say that it is possible to cheat to win a race and get automatic promotion. However it is possible to "play" on the rules and use them to your advantage. The phrase "cheating" is a strong term and should only really be used when the rules are deliberatley ignored by a paddler.

I think that if we keep the opportunity to get promoted at the British Open then it should only be done on the qualifier. A single run, winner takes all in a semi final doesn't reflect Prem rules but the qualifier (2 runs added together) does.

raeofsunshine

Post by raeofsunshine » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:31 pm

I didnt make it to the second weeken, what happened?

mole

Post by mole » Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:09 pm

Yes but ninja it could be over in two weekends. a double win on one and a win another :p
moly boy who cant spel