Hope OK

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
quaker

Post by quaker » Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:20 pm

Thanks... that answers my question and clears up my confusion.

KJG

Post by KJG » Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:51 pm

So it's confirmed by the Chair

There are no longer elections for committee members, only 'co-ordinators'

When and why was this rule changed

Keith J Goddard
kj_associates@compuserve.com

Anne

Post by Anne » Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:15 pm

Committee members/co-ordinators to me these are just different words for the same thing! I was only replyng to a questin and using same jargon to prevent more confusion.

Dily

Post by Dily » Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:37 pm

Now I’m even more confused ???

How can committee members and coordinators be the same – you either get elected for one or the other.

Is the election for committee members or coordinators? - These have different roles.

The rules state committee members – there is no mention of coordinator.

Surely any position of coordinator would be decided by committee members after an election.
Dily ???

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:29 pm

Dily,
I agree with the reading of the rules. The election should be for committee members, who will then take on co-ordinator roles. Currently there are as many coordinator roles as there are committee members, so there tends to be a one to one relationship between co-ordinators and committee members.
A strict interpretation of the rules means that you could be elected as a committee member, but refuse to take on any coordinator role, or even take over the role currently being done by someone else. Meanwhile the rules are the rules so teh election is for a committee member, not a coordinator.

The rules are clear, you cannot be elected as a(volunteer) coordinator, just as a (volunteer) committee member. After being elected you can volunteer (again) to be a coordinator.

The first pass of the rules had a similar 'fudge' for all posts, so we would have elected a committee who would then have decided who was to be chair, secretary, TREASURER, vice chair as well as coordinator. We managed to get this upset, but committee member and coordinator is still not the same thing.

I suspect that (as Annes posting indicates) working with a one to one committee member/coordinator relationship has resulted in the two phrases being used interchangably.

The confusion has arisen through sloppy use of the phrase 'coordinator' in the agenda. It is your call whether you feel this was deliberate or an accident. Not picked up by anyone proof reading the document (including me who is not on the committee, just agreed to do the ACM minutes, so guess what they will say, coordinator or committee member?)

I appologise for my part in the confusion :(
perhaps we will see a rule change at teh next ACM?
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

Anne

Post by Anne » Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:50 pm

It's all a bit like many people still refering to us as the "exec" instead of slalom committee, old habits die hard!