Hope OK

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
Dily

Post by Dily » Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:23 pm

2006 ACM Agenda

I'm confused - does this committee read or even attempt to use our canoe slalom committee regulations. The following appears on the first page of ACM Agenda

------------------------------------------------------
Agenda Item 5.3 - Coordinators Posts.
Three positions are up for re-election this year - Jim Croft and Jacky Wetzig are willing to continue in their posts.
-----------------------------------------------------

What is going on, as of 2005 there is no provision in the regulations (3.6) for the election of, let alone re-election of coordinators.

The only provision is for the election of "committee members" with no specific role attached to them at the time of election.

I understand there should be six committee members with three members being elected in alternate years.

So to clarify the position - Who are the six committee members and which three have completed a two year (or part two year) term and are standing down at this forthcoming election. Surely this full detailed information should be available in the ACM Agenda

Is this another case of the committee adapting the rules to suit something we know nothing about 'yet' - I hope not again, after last years committee regulations fiasco.

Strange committee meeting minutes have not been published from the 4th November?

Dily :(

Dave Royle

Post by Dave Royle » Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:01 pm

Perhaps there is someone who (not surprisingly after that barrage of abuse) doesn't want to be re-elected onto the committee.

Dily

Post by Dily » Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:56 pm

Dave

Having looked at several of the topics posted here, are you a spokesman for the committee?

If so....please would you kindly answer my questions.

Also could you explain the reasoning for your remark ... "not surprisingly after that barrage of abuse"

Flaming my post is not actually very helpful.

Dily :(

Dave Royle

Post by Dave Royle » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:10 pm

Is it a paid position

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:55 am

Dily,
Dave is not on the committee, he is a serious paddler that has strong views about the future of the sport. Although I do not always agree with him I respect his independence and that he wants the sport to thrive.

Dave sounds like he knows a lot for at least three reasons: he has been paddling at the top of UK slalom for a number of years AND he was on the committee for several years (until he had to move to France for business) AND he is a clever man, who expresses himself confidently (just don't tell him I said that).

For my sins I was on the committee as well, and was even secretary for several years, but could not do the job properly, commute to London to work and paddle, so guess which had to go?, yep the unpaid one for which I got grief. This gives me (and Dave) an insight into what is happening, which we are not backward in sharing.

The slalom committee is indeed six committee members, in order to ensure that the requirements of the sport are covered, once elected they each take a position as a 'co-ordinator'. If you look on page 6 of the 2006 year book there is a list of 'elected members' and the co-ordinator roles they currently hold.

In a normal year it would be easy to identify the three up for re-election (they are the ones not voted in last year), but last year we had to elect four members, and allowed the committee to decide who would be elected only for a single year. Last year Dave Waddington, Don Raspin, Jim McConnachie, Graham Mulholland were all elected, so Jim Croft and Jacky Wetzig are naturally reaching the end of their elected term and agreeing to stand again. One of the members elected last year has decided that they do not want to continue. I am not sure who, but we will find out on Saturday week <ADVERT>exactly six days after the Peterborough Winter slalom :p </ADVERT>.

The committee are ALL volunteers, trying to hold down a full time job, have a life, and try to guide slalom forward. For this, they get . . . expenses to travel to the meetings . . . . . er . . . . . the requirement to be at the ACM. Accused of rigging votes on web sites. . . . . . accused of political manoeuvring for the benefit of paddlers they meet on river banks. . . . . . :rock:

The committee is very different to World Class, who are coaches and administrators paid by the BCU (using lottery money, not BCU money) to concentrate on development of international teams and winning medals.

As Dave says, if we had moved to aggregate runs, and (almost) no practice when Prem went to aggregate runs we would not have this discussion as often, I just do not happen to agree that it would have been in the sports best interest, but the longer the arguments go on the more we tear ourselves apart.
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

jim croft

Post by jim croft » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:36 am

I will not enter into any argument with who ever Dilly is, but to inform you that due to circumstances beyond my control there was a slight with November 4th Minutes. They were printed and posted yesterday 15th.

Jim

jim croft

Post by jim croft » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:18 am

Sorry I should have said slight delay

Jim :O

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:02 pm

I forgot to say, that from the papers I have received, there is a gap on the executive - only two nominees (both elected members for re-election) but three posts, therefore one post with no one nominated. So its not too late folks, you can still stand and 'do your bit' to help the sport. Do not just sit on the sidelines/in the eddy complaining. Get in there and influence the committee/push the sport forward. GET NOMINATED and get elected!
PM me if you need a club to nominate you, we will be having a committee meeting after setting up the course for <ADVERT>PETERBOROUGH WINTER SLALOM 1 THIS SUNDAY 19th NOVEMBER, enter on the day, first run at noon.</ADVERT> :D
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

KJG

Post by KJG » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:19 pm

Dily

Seems no one is going to answer your question

You are right, it is not an election for co-ordinators

They have got that wrong, it could be that an officer or representative on the committee could be taking a co-ordinator role and an elected member may not have a specific role

I believe it should state who is standing down, they must know who that is.

As to the committee adapting the rules - I had better not comment but feel free to contact me on kj_associates@compuserve.com where I can be more open.

Keith J Goddard.

KJG

Post by KJG » Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:34 pm

Dily

I have had this sent to me, for your information

The six members are

Dave Waddington - elected 2005 for two years
Don Raspin - elected 2005 for two years
Jim McConnachie - elected 2005 for two years

*Graham Mulholland* - co-opted in ‘05 elected 2006 for one year
*Jim Croft* - elected 2004 for two years
*Jacky Wetzig* - elected 2004 for two years

*These three are the people who are standing down

Two of them have put their names forward for the 2006 election as committee members (to stand for two years if elected) - Jim Croft & Jacky Wetzig. The third which I assume is Graham Mulholland has not.

They all had taken up co-ordinator positions in 2005 as listed in the yearbook, but those roles could change for 2006 after the first committee meeting.

It should be made clear Jim Croft has been an Elected member/co-ordinator for Event Management but is also the only paid employee of the slalom committee as slalom administrator.

Does this answer you question.

signed helper

Why this could not of been said by the slalom administrator, Jim Croft when he posted I do not know or why Dave Royle should take the bigoted stance he has?

I had understood from Graham in his last email to me he was not sure what to do, I know his feelings were to move on into Motor Sport Racing.

Keith J Goddard
kj_associates@compuserve.com

Dily

Post by Dily » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:54 pm

Thank you Canadian Paddler and KJG for the information and will reply to you later privately, not sure what to say about Dave Royle.

I had hoped a member of the slalom committee would see fit to answer my question of how the committee are having elections of coordinator posts when the rules only allow for election of committee members.

As the Slalom Administrator Jim Croft is an employee of the BCU Slalom Committee, has rule 3.12 been adhered to, and was consent obtained from the BCU Board at their last Board Meeting to allow him to stand at this election ... or is it now regarded as the position of coordinator and does not require consent from the BCU Board.

How are people supposed to make themselves available for election when it is not clear what they are standing for ... a committee member or this new position of a coordinator which does not exist in the rules.

Dily

Dily

Post by Dily » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:09 pm

Ummmm :(

24 hours have passed since I asked if a member of the Slalom

Committee would answer my question re election of

coordinator/committee member posts ….

There have been no replies and there are only 48 hours or so to

the ACM election ….

It would seem by the number of views on this topic everyone is

also waiting to see a reply from the committee, who are clearly

monitoring the topic.

Will no one answer ????

Anne

Post by Anne » Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:54 am

Yes of course we have the relevent OK from thr BCU board. This was done when Jim was origionally nominated, nothing has changed since then, and again comfirmed this time.

If there are other volunteers out there wishing to be nominated for any of these co-ordinators posts we would of course be happy to set up a vote - so far nobody has shown any interest , even in the vacant one!

quaker

Post by quaker » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:58 am

I'm slightly confused by this thread.

Correct me if I'm wrong - my understanding from the posts is that the co-ordinators, that receive pay for their positions, have been nominated into their positions by the members at the AGM (like company directors) rather than selected by their employers (BCU Slalom Committee)?

Is it just that the co-ordinators happen to be standing as volunteers for nominated positions on the Slalom Committee and the roles are separate?

Anne

Post by Anne » Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:13 pm

Co-ordinators do not receive ny payment for being on the committee. they receive minimal expenses incurred. The Slalom Administrator post that Jim Croft holds is a paid position but he is not paid for all the work he does in Event management position on the committee.