Benefits of TV coverage - Sponsorship and participation...

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
jojo

Post by jojo » Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:33 pm

At the risk of showing my age, and in the light of 2012 approaching would it be worth speaking to one of the TV companies, terrestrial or otherwise about relaunching Paddles Up or something similar. It could be done as an international event, or I think it would be better as a UK event, highlighting up and coming paddlers. who are likely to be seen at 2012.

The benefit to paddlers would be that it would help raise the profile of the sport and encourage sponsorship from outside the industry - most paddlers I know receive sponsorship from manufacturers/importers of paddling kit. Compare this with all levels of motorsport who receive sponsorship from a much wider range of organisations.

Paddlers may also gain valuable experience by having different time on the water - competition with different pressures. So often now, there is no opportunity to do things differently or take a risk, because of the pressure to chase the next promotion or place in a squad. Activities such as collecting the ball, or hoops makes paddlers think about things differently, which could have huge benefits for their long term development.

It could also provide information about different canoe sports. and even give out the BCU's contact details so that people could find their local club.

Finally it may also give people the chance to break into tv presenting, providing them with experience that might lead to Olympic coverage in 2012.

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:51 pm

Canadian PAddler wrote:after all the BCU is more worried about the recreational paddlers...

You would not have thought so, as they are making life difficult for the recreational coaches to progress with the changes to the UKCC from the current BCU coaching system, there will be less coaches to go around in clubs!!

The aim of these changes is to increase funding for the olympic sports at the expense of the recreational side :(
Paddle fast,,,Paddle safe Yorkshire Canoe Coaching