Demotions

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
surveyme

Post by surveyme » Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:30 pm

With 275 women in Div's Prem to 3 next year - it seems the committee are predicting a drop to 250!!! using their divisional ambitions. ???

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:39 am

It does make you think about just giving up slalom as there is no incentive, river running, polo and playboating give you more time on the water for a lot less money.

Perhaps it is time for a re-think before the sport declines even further?
Paddle fast,,,Paddle safe Yorkshire Canoe Coaching

surveyme

Post by surveyme » Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:19 am

It seems to get even worse.

If you look at just Prem and Div 1, at the moment there are 108 girls in these Divisions, yet by the end of 2008, the committee are attempting to cull 28 of them back to Div 2 or beyond!

It's a similar picture for the men. At present there are 209 in Prem and Div 1, yet by the end of 2007 this is predicted to be 193. Overall it's 550, yet at present the total of Prem to Div 3 is 595 - just what is the logic behind this?

Can anyone explain please? ??? :p

katonas

Post by katonas » Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:05 pm

If numbers in prem and div1 are reduced then having more div1/2 combined events would at least allow div 2 paddlers to enjoy more challenging courses.

Does anyone seriously think a paddler who paddles once in prem or div 1, scoring 975 points (K1M), should be demoted at the end of the season? If not, can anyone suggest a single score (from one race) sufficient to prevent end of year demotion? ???

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:46 am

Remember in all this, that if you can only make one race due to unfreseen circumstances you can apply to the committee to have your ranking status frozen. So if you get 975 in one race, then injury, or some other unforeseen circumstances stop you from competing you do not have to be demoted.

My reading is not that the committee intend
With 275 women in Div's Prem to 3 next year - it seems the committee are predicting a drop to 250

but they had to use some basis for the projections. My understanding is that if by 2010 we have 500 ladies paddling we will be aiming for a prem division of 50 (i.e. 10%!), if numbers stay at 276, we will be aiming for between 27 and 28. For 2007 we have 14% of ladies paddling as Prem, so yes it will become harder to stay in the division, and harder to get promoted.

I do not think it will lead to stagnation, there are a load of older recreational paddlers in Division 1 (at least in men's kayak). they are in div 1 and look like staying there unless somethign changes. BUT we need to ensure that they still get to paddel on good water. If you demote them ands say 'paddle Cardington, Nene and Sowerby, not Trweryn, Town Falls and Grandtully' they will either retire or go veteran.

This is one old man's view, debate is healthy, the bottom end of slalom is not growing, if you do not like the proposals then PLEASE come up with other ideas to help grow the sport, and do them!

As per another thread, anyone want to take on runnng a pool slalom? or know anyone who can be persuaded to?
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

mwilk

Post by mwilk » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:40 pm

there are a load of older recreational paddlers in Division 1 (at least in men's kayak). they are in div 1 and look like staying there unless somethign changes. BUT we need to ensure that they still get to paddel on good water. If you demote them ands say 'paddle Cardington, Nene and Sowerby, not Trweryn, Town Falls and Grandtully' they will either retire or go veteran.

Best point anyone has made on this subject. And if you add that they would realistically have to go to Cardingtons, Nenes, Sowerbys, etc., 6, 7 or more times to get the 4 good runs needed to get back to Div 1, how many would bother ? The same applies to Div 2 paddlers.

And they are unlikely to enter the Vet system in its present form.
It seems to me that it is the DVs that will benefit least from all the planned changes.