Are you sitting comfortably? - Advice on C-1 sought

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
shortyman

Post by shortyman » Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:33 pm

Hi,

Hope this is posted in the right place!

I was wondering if anyone could offer some hints and tips (short of amputation, voodoo, or street drugs) on how to avoid crippling agony when I (try and) paddle c-1?

Thanks!

Dave Royle

Post by Dave Royle » Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:23 pm

No

Dave Royle

Post by Dave Royle » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:36 pm

Too short an answer I suppose.

The higher the seat the more confortable you will be. The lower the seat the more stable you will be. Mine is set at 12cm but many have their seats a lot lower than that.

The answer is a compromise between stability and sore legs.

Dutch Geezer

Post by Dutch Geezer » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:53 pm

I have listened to a few C1 paddlers talking about sitting in front of the tv as if they were kneeling in a C1, increasing the mobility in their ankles.

Just confirms my opinion of C1 paddlers, they must be mad. How else do you explain someone practising so they can endure excrutiating pain for longer. :p

shortyman

Post by shortyman » Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:04 am

Thanks-watching tv it is. At least I can call it training...

TOG

Post by TOG » Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:03 pm

It is of course a well-established fact that all C paddlers are thus because they did something bad in a previous life , and are sent back to endure agonies for @ 30 minutes of paddling until all sensation in lower limbs is lost; only to reappear - again agonisingly - as they extract themselves from the boat and resume normal human shape.
Additionally, C2 paddlers are two people who once were friends but now do not get on together..........

davebrads

Post by davebrads » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:31 pm

Well crafted padding can make a big difference, depending upon the cause of the pain. Try to get a well shaped and good thickness of padding under your knee. You can arrange some padding under your ankle so that your foot isn't too straight out behind you, but if you overdo this your knee will be bent more, causing problems there. It is really worth taking some time to get your padding right. It can give you more control over the boat too.

Pingu

Post by Pingu » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:39 pm

I have always thought that Canadan paddlers have a bit of their brain missing.

However, probably I'm just jealous that due to football injuries I'm not flexible enough to get into a C1.

Secretly, I dream of (one day) being able to use more leverage to look a bit speedier through the gates on a slalom course !!
Out of Darkness cometh Light

C1stu

Post by C1stu » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:23 am

After countless years in C1, I now have problems sitting in a kayak!!!!

The answer is Flexibility. Try stretching your Hip Flexors, Quads and calf muscles, Gently, before you get in your boat.

Daily stretching of every muscle in the legs, including your ass will make things alot easier. Plus sitting in the Kneeling possition watching TV helps.

If you have pain in your knees, Stetch your quads more. For pain in your ankles you need to stretch the muscle that runs down the side of your shin.

You must be sat in your boat comfortably with your legs relaxed!!!!!! If not you will find you will tighten other muscles in your legs and cause yourself more pain.

Time is the key

Seedy Paddler

Post by Seedy Paddler » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:10 am

I seem to remember that William Neally drew up a device that would help, it consisted of a cork screw device mounted on a helmet.

The theory was that as the pain in your legs increased so you screwed the device into your skull thereby diverting attention from the pain and allowing you to extend your lower limb pain threshold :D

Apparently repetitive use was accumulative and in time you would no longer require the device and being totally gaga you would fit in the C-boat crowd as well :p .

Dave A

Post by Dave A » Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:47 pm

I keep my Brain safe, wrapped in a waterproof bag jammed between the front airbag and spine under the front deck. This solves the problem of feeling any pain.

ninja

Post by ninja » Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:23 pm

i paddle c1 i was just wondering what is this brain thing your all talking about anyway? ??? they sound a bit stupid i defonately wouldnt buy one. :p
nobody's perfect.................................................i'm nobody

katonas

Post by katonas » Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:47 pm

I think I might have spotted one of these devices disguised as a penguin at Stone. However the user must obviously have been unaware of its true purpose as he was paddling K1. :;):

ps. I like the brainbag idea, it seems a good way to push your anaerobic threshold as well. My paddling might improve if my brain was closer to the boat... :p