Backward - or Backwards

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
katonas

Post by katonas » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:44 pm

Anyone ever paddled a full course backwards ? It seems a lot less painful than taking up C1. Maybe if there was enough interest, it could be a new discipline. :O

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:40 pm

katonas wrote:Anyone ever paddled a full course backwards ? It seems a lot less painful than taking up C1. Maybe if there was enough interest, it could be a new discipline. :O

I don't think many people would take up that idea somehow, it is bad enough trying sometimes to do the course forward when gates are so close to features especially at the artificial courses, sure someone is getting paid to help demolish boats by the manufacturers ???

I personally think that this year will see a decline of people attending Div1 races especially as with many of them only being a one day event with 100's of miles to travel to get there it is not worth the expense for 10 minutes on the water, so there could well be time for this new idea.

C1 is the way forward :D
Paddle fast,,,Paddle safe Yorkshire Canoe Coaching

Seedy Paddler

Post by Seedy Paddler » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:01 am

Neil Baxter did the Fairnilee Div 2 course backwards (i.e. gate 1-25 but paddling backwards) several years ago. One of those things that seemed a good idea at the time to add to the challenge. I also seem to remember he protested one section where the judge gave him clear as it was in the days of Reverse gates and hence should have been wrong presentation. The protest was upheld and he got his 50s.

We have also run backwards courses at Seaton Slalom for the officials (i.e. gate 18-1 paddle up the course with red becoming downstream gates and green upstream gates) i the past.

Old School paddling and old school challenges - build a cardboard canoe and race it on Tully :D , paddle slalom in a river racer :cool: ........

Of course the madness continues come along to Seaton Slalom and enjoy the Top Duo or the Open Canadian classes in May :p

katonas

Post by katonas » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:22 am

It sounds like Neil Baxter knew how to add a bit of fun to the event. I expect most prem paddlers could paddle a course backwards faster than I can forwards. Perhaps at Stone someone could try it ! :laugh:

What exactly is the 'Top Duo' ? Does it involve 2 paddlers...? :D

Kev.S

Post by Kev.S » Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:00 pm

Seedy Paddler is probably refering to the Eskimo Topolino Duo, check out Desperate Measures website and see it in all its bright orange glory.

Great fun paddling big water when your in the back, I dont think I would like to negotiate a slalom course backwards in it though. :laugh:
To err is human, if you really want to screw up, use a computer!!

Seedy Paddler

Post by Seedy Paddler » Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:54 pm

Indeed brain in overdrive and missed the typo - Top Duo is indeed the Eskimo Topolino Duo or Topo Duo.

Ours is red but also available in blue or gawdy orange among other hues.

Wullie certainly enjoyed his fun and is still enjoying his fun but more likely to be found surfing (sea or river) than paddling slalom these days. I believe he is still involved with Lendal; Double Dutch and Mega where he is involved with design etc.

I have certainly done a few practice moves backwards but never gone for the complete competition run as per Wullies

davebrads

Post by davebrads » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:52 pm

I remember seeing Dave Higson doing the Serpent's Tail division 1 course backwards, getting a result that beat some of those doing it forwards. This was a long time ago, when I was just starting out paddling. It was before the days of a separate Premier division, so it was a top division course, with 30 gates.

He has been one of my heroes ever since.