Prize money! - An Idea

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
quanton

Post by quanton » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:27 pm

hi all.

after hearing about the world series having prize money it got me thinking.

i don't know how feasible this idea is but i was think of the introduction to prize money in domestic races. i don't know how prize money would be raised but my initial thought was that part of the entry fee could be put towards it. with money involved i think participation would be likely to increase and perhaps would stir up more of a competitive spirit. and with more participation perhaps media/sponsors could be interested and so on.

what do people think?

mole

Post by mole » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:20 pm

I think it is a good idea, but the entry fee to a slalom is already a bit expencive for some. This would cause less entries.
moly boy who cant spel

Mr Fifty

Post by Mr Fifty » Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:13 pm

Prize Money, How Vulgar, they would be better spending the money on decent trophys.
The next thing you would get is backhanders to the gate judge to turn a blind eye or the starter to be a little slow in pressing his stopwatch.
Once money gets into sport it turns into cut throat win at all costs mentality and i want no part in that.

pykey

Post by pykey » Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:08 pm

Its not going to happen! having competed for some years I think the best prize I have ever got at a slalom was a cup with Landysul div1 winner on it.
however in freestyle I have walked away with £100's in prizemoney.

to be honest I dont think it changes the mentality of the competitors, who would want to win whatever the prize, afterall no one has got rich being a kayaker.

Mr Fifty

Post by Mr Fifty » Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:43 pm

True.

canoecrazy

Post by canoecrazy » Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:48 pm

i dont think prise money is a great idia because some people paddel for the fun of it and they realy enjoy it that way.But if prize money was the reward then people would be racing just for the cash and not for the fun.
I think i would rather have fun then the cash.....

pykey

Post by pykey » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:20 am

prize money dont make a difference, I think very few people are gonna spend £1000 on a boat to win a couple of quid cash. therfore everyone is gonna compete for fun anyway.
Im looking at the possibility of kayaking full time as a career at the moment, the only feasible way is to get sponsorship, write articles, have a editorial and still I would need to do temp work whenever im in the UK. unfortunately kayaking hasnt got the attention of the mass media, and therefore will never make the same money that more mainstreem sports do, and therefore prize money will be relatively small.

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:51 pm

As an old fogey who is both mean and unlikely to win any prizes any more, I am not in favour of paying more to enter just so that those at the top can win money. :( OK self interest, would I feel differently if I thought that offering prize money couls save me money - probably not, or if I thought it would increase particiaption substantially - possibly, but I remain to be convinced. We do not have a big enough sport to be able to raise enough money to keep pykey (and other good paddlers) in a style that they (OK and I) would like to become accustomed to.

OLD Fogies rule - even when slow and fat
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

sporty dave

Post by sporty dave » Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:46 pm

We could try a system that is similar to the Surrey Cycle Racing League. Basically it works like this:

The league funds the running of all events (minimum of one event per club that has riders in the league) all entry fees and race running costs are put through the league (The clubs can keep what they take on refreshments etc.). At the end of the season any profits are divided up on the basis of the number of points accumilated in the league. Points are given out to each catagory (same as our division system) and prize money is divided likewise. At the end of the season everyone gets a small cheque back from the league and the top riders in each catagory will cover their expenses from the payout.

This system is very effective and participation rates in Surrey League races are probably amongst the highest in the country often having full fields of 100+ riders. It encourages a good club structure (one man teams will find it hard to arrange the race that they need to arrange in order to be allowed into the league). The prize money adds a little, and reduces the need for everyone to get a pointless plastic trophy although they do award some on the spot prizes in the youngest age groups.

The one disadvantage is that it can be tempting to avoid promotion so that you can play the big fish in a small pond to hoover up some extra pounds, but the amounts of money at stake are so small that this rarely happens in practice.