Shortening a Midas Touch - How much to take off?

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
G_Man

Post by G_Man » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:48 pm

I've decided my 4m boat (Double Dutch Midas Touch 2) doesn't turn fast enough and I can't afford a short boat yet, so I want to shorten it.

Does anyone have experience of how much is a suitable amount to to take off?

At the moment I'm thinking of about 25cm off the back so I don't interfere with the rear grab handle and none off the front as I think the tip of the front has little effect on a stern dip turn. The actual work shouldn't be a problem as I'm getting competent with that.

DawnRaider

Post by DawnRaider » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:56 pm

25cm could be about right. I've just taken the same amount off my Optima (for the same reasons!). Before doing so, I measured up a Vajda Cox 365 for a bit of guidance - distance from inside (rear) cockpit rim to tail is 158cm. Taking 25cm off the tail of the Optima brought it down to 158cm, and left the grab loop intact. Shortening the nose seemed to me to have a large faff to benefit ratio, so I haven't bothered.

I haven't tried the shortened boat out yet, so I can't say how beneficial the modification is.

Pete Willett

Post by Pete Willett » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:14 pm

i would suggest taking 20cm off both the front and back of the boat. i paddled my choptima (aka shorten Optima) for a year and half in prem and found little difference between that and must early shorten boats. I would recommend shortening the front as it allows you to get closer to the gates but it does take a lot more effort than the back. ???

G_Man

Post by G_Man » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:14 pm

Cheers for the advice, I think I'll do the stern first then bow later.