Nomad Boats

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
Slow_n_dirty

Post by Slow_n_dirty » Tue May 01, 2007 9:03 pm

Hi,

I am thinking about returning to racing after a ten year layoff and want to buy a new boat. I prefer to buy British so I guess my only choice is Nomad, which is cool as I've always paddled them. What are peoples opinion of the current designs. I've seen a few Energy and Force boats around? Any thoughts? Also another design called a Cruz is that correct. Is anyone aware of other new designs?

I am around 72kg, quite agressive paddling style

Any thoughts or comments I'd appreciate

SnD

aries

Post by aries » Wed May 02, 2007 1:31 pm

I would recommed you don't just choose nomad on the basis they are British. If you have an aggresive paddling style, you may find your boat fine for a couple of weeks but the built quiality is not as good as other manufacturers and I know of several people who have nomad boats that constantly leak, even after going back to Nomad for repairs. When you are spending around £900 on a boat, you really expect not to have to empty it after a couple of runs. I would say there are lots of manufacturers out there and a good range of dealers that make it easy to get a boat from abroad, try everything and see what suits

mikey

Post by mikey » Wed May 02, 2007 10:43 pm

Try the quantum or quantum plus(cut down) good boats! I would have to disagree that Nomad boats have poor build quality mine is excellent. Had a double Dutch and it leaked like ####. Every time I slightly touched it on a rock it sprang another leak!!

I think with hand built boats you will always get some good and some bad! So it depends on your own experience. I like the personal touch from Nomad very helpful.

Dutch Geezer

Post by Dutch Geezer » Wed May 02, 2007 11:33 pm

This conversation comes up regularly, which boat, which design, which construction.

For the design, all the dealers would suggest try them all. Find the one you like the best and decide from there.

As to the construction, when you say you have an agressive style, what do you mean, do you paddle the fastest line regardless of the rocks. If this is the case, then personally I would recommend a less exotic construction, there is no point having a sandwich hull if you are going to run over lots of rocks. A very stiff lightweight boat is not going to be durable on british rivers, especially this year.

Seamless boats are more prone to leaks than boats with outside seams. If you ask for a seamless boat you have to be prepared to spend more time keeping it in good repair

Hope you enjoy your new boat once you decide what to buy.

Slow_n_dirty

Post by Slow_n_dirty » Thu May 03, 2007 11:04 pm

Thanks very much for all your comments, nice to have a balance of opinions. As you might have imagined I asked a number of other paddlers too and their recommendation was a Quantum Plus, I will see what other stuff is available first however. I will not be going for a top construction nor a boat without a seam. I can live without it being superlight, in exchange for a little more robustness.

Cheers,
Mr SnD

Train2Win

Post by Train2Win » Fri May 04, 2007 5:34 pm

I'd recommend you try the Quantum Plus and the Caiman Torrero. The Caiman is a solid boat which is stable and quick at accelerating, while the Nomad is very quick turning. It depends what you're after, but for me these two stand out, though there are plenty of other boats out there.