Commonwealth Games 2014 - Canoeing Events in Commonwealth Games

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
david wilson

Post by david wilson » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:04 pm

I don't know if this is true but I am sure that I've had a conversation with someone about the unofficial Commonwealth Canoe Slalom Championships held at Tully the last time the Commonwealth Games were held in Edinburgh.
In 2014 the Commonwealth Games return to Scotland in Glasgow, and wouldn't it be great if we could stage another "unofficial" event, which, if this idea gathers momentum, could be "official" in 6 years time.
Apart from the Home Nations, it would be great to invite paddlers from the rest of the Commonwealth to compete on the Tay.
I would also like to include other disciplines in the event eg WWR, Sprint (on the Tay in Perth perhaps), Freestyle/Rodeo (water levels permitting)
I know the Games are likely to be held in the Summer (August I think) and water levels may be an issue, but Selection Races have been held on low water at Tully, so why not?
We'll have to get a full set of Flags and recordings of the National Anthems of those countries that send a competitor.
So what do people think?
Should we lobby for an unofficial event to coincide with the 2014 Games?
Should we lobby for canoeing events to be included into the Commonwealth Games programme?
If any Commonwealth paddlers read this tell us your views.
Lets start planning now so we get an idea of what to expect and hope that we get Commonwealth Canoe Champions in 2014.

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:44 am

There were indeed Commonwealth Championships for both slalom and WWR in 1981 held at Tully - I know, I was there and paddling for Scotland (do not ask). Still got the stickers. The event had a few non home nation paddlers as it was only a short period after teh Bala Worlds, and some of the teams were still here.

There was a follow up at the next Commonwealth Games (Australia), but this was not where near teh worlds, and I think that there was just one paddler form the UK that went, and in all fairness to Dave Ruse, he was not first team choice (although better in a single than me!)

Holding the event would be good, but might be expensive, and we would have to get other teams interested if we wanted to get it repeated, or even adopted.. . :(
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

Seedy Paddler

Post by Seedy Paddler » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:33 am

Correct a Commonwealth Champs were held following the '81 Worlds with WWR and Slalom on the Tay - still have poster, stickers and section judge badge around somewhere.

Subsequent events suffered as not in conjunction with Worlds and lack of participant nations.

During the Edinburgh Commonwealth Games in 1986, Sprint was included at Strathclyde Park as an official "Demonstration" event and a Slalom was run at Tully.

Main problem was lack of participating nations.

My copy of the CGF Rules & Articles are now out of date but the event has set sports and then hosts can add from a range of sports. This is included at bid stage and canoeing was not part of the Glasgow bid. Previously there was a tie between rowing and sprint as they co-exist on similar facilities. So if rowing was included so was sprint.

From personal experience motivating the CCF (Commonwealth Canoe Federation) is the biggest problem. When I was involved chairmanship rested with the BCU and meetings were held in corridors, mini-buses and bars during ICF congress. BCU focus was and remains with ICF Business and World Champs/Cups and ECA development and European Champs. Home nations (SCA/WCA/CANI) are excluded from ICF Congress so with not a lot of enthusiasm and significant logistics to establish (primarily UK; Aus; NZ & S Africa) trial events to date have not been viable nor sustainable.

But if we can raise motivation with BCU Slalom to push in BCU/CCF/ICF considerations then side events would be possible. With general interest in the Games it may also be practical to get additional media coverage. Previous events (incl '81) have been held in August sunshine with testing courses.

jim croft

Post by jim croft » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:13 am

??? You are correct I was there Judging and my eldest Son Tim had a race in selection for England just missed out Len Smith was involved I think as Team Manager.

After the Event I brought the Australian C2

Jim