Learning from your mistakes - or not!

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
canoebabe88

Post by canoebabe88 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:07 pm

The other weekend I had a shocking run!

When I looked at my card I saw that I had been given a 50 on one of the gates I felt I had only touched.

Under the circumstances I did not feel that it warranted an protest, as I had done badly on another part of the course, however I was interested to find out what I had done wrong. I spoke to a member of the jury and asked if it was possible to find out what error I had made. I was told I could ask for a transmition check, but that would only state the penalty not the reason. If I wanted to know the explanation I would have to protest!

So how is a paddler supposed to learn from a mistake and not continue to repeatedly get a penalty which they don't understand?
Is this rule just a way of renerating extra income?
I thought the aim of the slalom committee was to encourage paddlers!

Also if as a paddler we are not allowed to know what we did wrong how do we deal with being approached by a section judge who chooses to justify why they gave you a penalty?

RussJohnson

Post by RussJohnson » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:40 pm

totally agree.

every paddler (especially the younger paddlers) are constantly developing. after a run that i feel was bad or could be improved, for either that race or another comp, by asking coaches or family/friends.

if judge's sheets were made avaliable to see what errors we have made it would be an excellent resource.

Maybe they should be made avaliable after protest time. stating that these are views of the judge and cannot be used in protest.

This could also help with development of judges.
Russell Johnson
HALIFAX Canoe Club - West Yorkshire Canoe Club