Div 3 - inappropriate competitors

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
Fup Duck

Post by Fup Duck » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:35 pm

Hi

Can someone explain the point to me of people entering Div 3 and totally slaying the opposition to the point that their times are more in conjunction with Div 1 or Prem paddlers in judges runs.

I can understand this happening once but if it is such a considerable gap shouldn't there be a mechanism for advancing them up a division for the next race.

I guess this could be disheartening if it was preventing you getting promoted, especially if it was at the end of a season.

RussJohnson

Post by RussJohnson » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:05 pm

there is nothing that can be done about "inappropriate" paddlers been in the division, if they have skills of a good paddler when they got promoted out of div 4 then they will obviously excel in that division.

just because their times are comparable to those of a Div 1 paddler doesn't mean they are too the same standard.

Remember Div 3 & Div 1 are on a completely different standard of water!!

i know that it can be disheartening for some paddlers, i paddled in div 2/3 C2 last year, i couldn't do anything about the division i was place in with my partner, and we won 2 events by a margin of 15 - 20 seconds, i felt sorry for the paddlers below us because they are the ones who deserve promotion and to win rather that 2 Div 1 K1 paddlers wanting to have fun.
Russell Johnson
HALIFAX Canoe Club - West Yorkshire Canoe Club

John

Post by John » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:54 pm

there is nothing that can be done about "inappropriate" paddlers been in the division

I don't think that's true. Over the years there have been enough foreign paddlers who have moved to Britain and have been ranked straight into Prem without having to go through the divisions. I don't know what the exact procedure is, but I think they just do one guest or judges race and then apply to the ranking officer.
I don't see why that can't be done for other newcomers.
Remember Div 3 & Div 1 are on a completely different standard of water!!

Yes, so they probably should be required to do the judges race at the division they should be ranked in. But it seems silly to force them the enter at least 9 races for them to get from div 4 to div 1, if they are clearly of that standard.

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:20 am

Paddlers who are not ranked can apply to the ranking status officer for ranking in an approriate division, and offer evidence (such as doing judigiign runs and having a competitive time). If you have been ranked before, you have to apply for status.

BUT if a paddler has never been ranked before, the rules allow them to start at the bottom and 'pot hunt' their way up the rankings. All we can do is (at their first event) make them aware that they can apply for status and go stright to more interesting water.

Russ, just be glad that we have the controversial C2 points from K1M scheem, so that you did not affect the points last season. But do not stop paddling the best class just for that, you could always declare yourself inelligable for prizes to the organiser, then they can have the points they earn AND teh prize, and you can have fun and compete. :D
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points