pool slaloms as ranking races

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
Nicky

Post by Nicky » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:13 pm

Right!

I was thinking about running a pool slalom at the beginning of the year and have it as a short course div 4 as we have had an influx of nippers and were keen to start racing, but we didn't want them putting off by the cold or the expense of buying all the kit to race moderately warm outside...

The problem was pool slaloms can't be ranking events, not even div 4 s/c.

The point of this post is to see what other people's opinions were about having a div 4 race indoors? If peole think that this is a good idea I'll put something together to attempt a change of the rule at the AGM.

The main reasons I see for having the events is to introduce nippers to slalom in the warm before they go outside.
Combine the race with a regional pool slalom to showcase slalom in a much more spectator orientated environment. (we've seen more interest in polo since using our local pool)
Ease of organisation.

I do not intend to extend the slalom season, but in our region we'd find it difficult to run a race for lower divisions outdoors in the early part of the season as the potential of high water renders most sites impractical and still water is hard to come by...

I would prefer to promote moving water events, even for division 4, but with a large number of events held on the flat, I see no reason to differentiate between indoors and outdoors.

Let me know what you all think...

Carlr

Post by Carlr » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:08 pm

I think that sounds like a good idea, it will get more interest amongst the younger paddlers and get them going in the right direction and should also give a feel to non paddlers watching a slalom for the first time. Good luck changing the rule at the AGM.

John

Post by John » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:14 pm

Why can't pool slaloms be ranking events?
Is rule 20.2, "the course may not be less than 250 metres in length", the problem?

jke

Post by jke » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:46 pm

Can I suggest that rule is pretty meaningless. It may be OK for a Premier event but a div 4 race with a course of at least 250m and a time close to 100 secs is not going to happen. The rule doesn't even cater for a 12 gate short course.

I've just designed the course for Langham Farm and, wanting to shorten the race times from previous years, I'm sure the course was less than 250m but with winning ranking race times around 120 secs I thought that was fine.

Does the pool slalom have to be ranking anyway?
John Kent

c1champ

Post by c1champ » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:29 pm

i think its a great idea!

Nicky

Post by Nicky » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:15 am

no the rule relating to length etc etc are all removed for a div 4 s/c. i can't find the rule now, but it's definately there and states that a s/c slalom can be held pretty much anywhere other than a swimming pool.

apparently when they were introduced, a decision was made to explicitly disallow pool slaloms, and I can't understand why...

The reason I would prefer it to be ranking is to reward the paddlers who've worked hard all winter and regularly attended sessions with the chance of getting a head start compared with their less regular counterparts and it also adds another element to attract people from a little further a field...

Nicky

The Doc

Post by The Doc » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:05 am

I've been to div 3/4 that are completely flat with no flow of any sort - why should a pool not be used, the only difference is that it is clean warm water - you have my support, anything to help encourage more involvement in our sport should be fully supported by all

djberriman

Post by djberriman » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:35 pm

We had no objections raised in principal to one on our outdoor pool (read man made pond!) when we raised the matter which is I believe 35mx25m but were asked to set it up and send in a photo of the course so they could get an idea of what it would be like. I'm probably going to send in a scale diagram of an example course as its easier to do. We used to run them on Princes Quay which is basically the same but bigger, only problem with that was it means a 6am start to set the course up and carting all the gear down there whereas we can probably put one up at the club in under an hour as everything is on site.

Its still cold and wet, just doesn't move, although the reflected waves can make it quite fun and choppy! Nothing quite like getting a penalty as your own wave from your initial sprint bounces back and catches you out on the way back!

It should be a great way to get kids involved locally otherwise it means travelling to one at least 90 mins away. Much easier if its on the door step. Haven't quite figured how to make it moving water yet. Pulling the plug works but it only goes down!

I'd prefer moving water but if it gets paddlers started it has to be good - and after all we train on it every week!

Best thing to do is get in touch with the committee.

Spiderman

Post by Spiderman » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:24 pm

In the 70's I recall competing at Crystal Palace at the National Canoe Exhibition (when it was huge!) in the pool slalom. This was for the national top 20 and first prize was a new boat. First 10 on Saturday through to Sunday. Came 11th each blummin' time I raced (Grrrr!) Anyways, it was good enough then to showcase the discipline so slalom should be acceptable in a pool for those starting out I reckon. The water getting rougher as you climb the events will then mean it gets a bit colder too. No probs and all good if you ask me :-) Actually, our local pool has a wave machine that would make a challenging Prem event! Might be another topic there lol :-)
Peter Parker - 12 gate courses are plenty long enough!

oldschool

Post by oldschool » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:19 am

I can see any other difference than warm water. You can hold a race on a lake so why not? I recall a div 5 back in the day on the winfield pools! Should someone get a motion together for the agm as it does seem daft.

lesf

Post by lesf » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:55 pm

Sounds like a great idea to get people into slalom (kids and adults) during the winter months.

I've been to events on flat water, one within the area used as a polo pitch, so I can't see a difference so long as the pool is a reasonable size.

Given dropping numbers in slalom it's certainly something that should be tried out.

Les

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:04 pm

Seems like a good motion for the ACM, as long as it does not clash with the Peterborough events (8 Nov and 13 December {ADVERT}. :D

providing tehre is an ACM, as there is not one in the calendar.
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

Nick Penfold

Post by Nick Penfold » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:57 am

Rather a good idea for a Short Course Div 4, especially if the usual pool slalom roll is included.
I can't find a rule, though, one way or the other.

Mark Shaw

Post by Mark Shaw » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:42 pm

This year's ACM is planned to be held on 28th November 2009, according to last year's minutes. Motions for this meeting must be received by 29th October, so plenty of time yet.
The above is the personal opinion of Mark Shaw and does not reflect the views of either the BCU or England Slalom Committees.

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:30 am

Not much time now, has a motion been put together? It needs to be submitted by two full members who attest that it has been discussed and agreed at a club committee meeting. and of course it WILL have been, or at least before the ACM :D
Given the current postal delays, and the deadline of 29th October I would email it to Ken asap, with a promise to post it, and/or bring it to the ACM.

Wording can be quite simple (IMHO) the substantive motion could be a
Change the guidance for short course slaloms (page 41) such that section 2 reads . . . , existing training site, or suitably sized swimming pool, which will . . .

The secretary is requested to make such other rule changes are required to support this

(put in the words of the proposers of course).
This can/should be accompanied by a brief description of the reason, rather as Nicky started this thread.

All that is needed then is to get someone to go to the ACM and explain the proposal, and lots of people to vote.

Not that I think this is a good rule change, and even if this happens the slalom/venue still needs approval by the slalom committee, so pool swill have to be big enough to get a resonable 12 gate course.
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points