ACM Proposal - C1W points and promotion

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
davebrads

Post by davebrads » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:22 pm

I am all in favour of the changes that Munchkin has proposed, my only (small) objection is that the promotion points of 2900 might be a little low, but since I personally don't have a problem with paddlers getting promoted into the higher divisions, I shouldn't complain.

The only thing is, the combined division system doesn't really work. "Real" division 3 C1W paddlers don't want to have to compete against Prem K1W having a bit of fun in a C1, and yet the system allows Prem paddlers to compete as much as they want at division 3 events, with no danger of being promoted. Is there any way that the divisions can be split?

Munchkin

Post by Munchkin » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:22 pm

Dave, we agree on something! At divison 2/3 there is a big split in standards of the women and that will need to be looked at. I was hopeing that more girls will enter next year so that there are the numbers to make it worthwhile splitting the division. I am not sure that there are the numbers or as much as a spread in prem/1 yet...

Mark Shaw

Post by Mark Shaw » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:11 pm

Even if the divisions were split, what is there to stop Prem K1W competing in Div 3 C1W? Presumably we would have to have yet another rule that said Prem K1W must start in Div 2 C1W.

As it happens, there haven't been a large number of Prem K1W competing in Div 3 C1W races this year, apart from at the Stone 3/4 races, so I don't think this is an issue really with the number of Div 3 races in the calendar. All those promoted in C1W to Prem/1 this year did it at Div 2 races I believe.
The above is the personal opinion of Mark Shaw and does not reflect the views of either the BCU or England Slalom Committees.

davebrads

Post by davebrads » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:38 pm

They already have to apply to the Ranking Status Officer, who could insist they start in Div 2 - so there is no need for a new rule here. Or else, at least if they did more than a couple of races in Div 3 they would be promoted. The first option is the better though.

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:59 am

Sorry Dave/Munchkin, but seemed to have missed something, what was the actual proposal?

The annoying thing is that some Prem K1W paddlers decided to "have ago" when there was a chance of going on the foreign circuit and had showed no previous interest, when the ones that first were involved and competed against the men and have worked hard and were the fore runners of the class were railroaded!

If they are not ranked let them start in Div 4 and work their way up like the rest of the women did! Oh and make them compete against the men as well!!

Rant over,,,,, for now.

Thanks

Graeme
Paddle fast,,,Paddle safe Yorkshire Canoe Coaching

Mark Shaw

Post by Mark Shaw » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:38 pm

Dave, I assume you are referring to Page 44 Para 2.2 of the 2009 year book? This clearly states that C1s must start in Div 3 if they are ranked higher than Div 2 in another category and don't need to apply to the Ranking Status Officer therefore.
The above is the personal opinion of Mark Shaw and does not reflect the views of either the BCU or England Slalom Committees.

davebrads

Post by davebrads » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:00 pm

I didn't read the rule before posting, relying upon my (poor) memory. You are right Mark, maybe next year we can amend this rule to make Prem K1s start in Div 2 when they get in a C1?

As for Graeme's point - I would rather see Prem K1s start higher up the divisions, it is very demoralising for C1s who start in the lower divisions if they are continually being beaten by good kayak paddlers having a go at C1. There is no good purpose in making them start in division 4.

The proposal is on pages 3 & 4 of the ACM Agenda

Munchkin

Post by Munchkin » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:34 pm

Out of curiosity does anyone know what the final rankings were for C1w? They don't seem to be updated like the other divisions?

Mark Shaw

Post by Mark Shaw » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:01 am

Sorry Michelle, that's my fault - not got round to doing the unofficial rankings yet. Nick updated the Prem/1 table after the Llangollen Town Falls race. I just need to check the final results in 2/3 from the last couple of races. Obviously these are all subject to final alteration by the C1 ranking compiler.