HPP 11/12 May

Discuss past and future events
PeterC

Re: HPP 11/12 May

Post by PeterC » Tue May 07, 2013 4:30 pm

Hi Dave

We have not yet had the problem of 250 entries. We do start ridiculously early, before 08:30 and are planning to dispense with lunchtime next year. Provided we run in April we manage and while it is a very long day have not yet had a light problem and can run beyond 17:45. We have run on the Saturday until 18:40 and were not light limited then although would not like to go much later.

My biggest bugbear is scheduling and providing safety for practice runs that particularly with Div 1 they either do not take at all or turn up at the end of practice time way outside their posted time expecting to get a practice run - some this year were disappointed.

OUr 250 entry limit would also include officials runs as these I regard, I believe quite appropriately, as entries so they are not extra and receive the same care and attention as Divisional entries.

We do challenge the judging and timing teams and this has been discussed - maybe there needs to be more provision for the bigger races which after all are paying the bigger levies.

BaldockBabe

Post by BaldockBabe » Tue May 07, 2013 5:39 pm

To be honest I am so fed up with this event now that I do not have the energy to respond to the queries/ criticism anymore.

However, when calculating timings don't forget that the rules also state there is to be a minimum of 3 minutes between classes.

Finally, if I don't get any more volunteers to do safety the event will not be going ahead and all this will be a waste of time.

Dee

Post by Dee » Tue May 07, 2013 10:28 pm

Canadian Paddler wrote:Being a geek I looked at the limits around the div 1/prem events, and rough entries where the event has happened:

LIMIT 150
• March 16/17 Shepperton 1/2 (132 Entries)
• July 20/21 Washburn double 1.
• August 24/25 Grandtully 1 / 2
• Oct 26/27 Serpents Tail 1 (so could ask Dave why such a limit as he has asked this above?)
• Nov 2/3 LVC Prem / Open

Note that 132 was the number paddled not entries. I around 160 entries. I maintained a waiting list and, up to 3 days before event, accepted cancellations and back filled. On the day sickness and car probs accounted for a few, but most drop outs just happened without any information.
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

Dee

Post by Dee » Tue May 07, 2013 10:30 pm

BaldockBabe wrote:To be honest I am so fed up with this event now that I do not have the energy to respond to the queries/ criticism anymore.

However, when calculating timings don't forget that the rules also state there is to be a minimum of 3 minutes between classes.

Finally, if I don't get any more volunteers to do safety the event will not be going ahead and all this will be a waste of time.

Lots of sympathy from me as I know exactly where you are coming from.

At this rate there will be no events as there will be no one to run them
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

bankside

Post by bankside » Mon May 13, 2013 9:42 am

A difficult event to run after selection.
A big thank you from all of us.