Howsham Weir - what a pleasant weekend!

Discuss past and future events
Nicky

Post by Nicky » Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:10 pm

Just got back from a thoroughly enjoyable weekend at Howsham weir, lets hope this is a permanent fixture for the slalom calendar.

I reckon its one of the best division 2/3 events this year, in fact the best. (Andrew Martin agrees)

It was a pleasure to judge on the same section as James Bailey and some Aussie bird and we all agreed the staff in control were exceptional, well done Trudi, you rudie.

On a more serious note the event was very well organised and well worth a visit, the course was well designed and the water was big enough to challenge the prem paddlers, (with several hissy fits and strops mid run (wasn't there James and Darren!!)), yet being forgiving enough for the nippers to bounce about through the gates!

Mark it in your calendars!

Mint!

PaulBolton

Post by PaulBolton » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:59 am

Agree with everything Nicky says. Also, one of the most scenic camping spots imaginable (a proper farmer's field like the old days!). Great to see the old mill being renovated. Also saw lots of kingfishers and an otter. Worth visiting just to see the mill; add on the bonus of a superbly run and friendly slalom makes this event absolutely unmissable.

Well done to all at Kingston KC.

djberriman

Post by djberriman » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:32 pm

Thanks for the positive comments. Glad you enjoyed it.

Just a quick note to point out this was a joint venture between Lower Wharfe CC & Kingston KC.

Duncan Berriman
KKC

c1champ

Post by c1champ » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:31 pm

It is nice to hear some positive comments on the chatter board about a slalom.

Sounded like a good weekend. Shame i couldn't make it.

Well Done Lower Wharfe CC & Kingston KC

djberriman

Post by djberriman » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:15 am

Pictures from Sunday will be available here shortly

http://www.vanessawilcoxphotography.co.uk/howshamslalom

lesf

Post by lesf » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:46 pm

I agree with all above - a great event. Well done to both club, we'll be back next year.

Les

Lord Lucan

Post by Lord Lucan » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:38 am

Ahh Howsham that brings back memories, must be about 25 years since i last raced there in the days when it was organised by York canoe club. after a hard day on the river the racing decamped to the 'local' where the obligatory boat race took part between the good lads from Halifax CC V the 'rotters' from york.
I was too much an athlete so i never drank and was always in bed by 10, helped no end by the pull of a young lady.........

Phil Stevo

Post by Phil Stevo » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:42 am

Lord Lucan, those York Canoe Club lads and lasses weren't rotters - just a little 'high spirited' as I recall.

If you were tucked up in bed at 10:00pm you will have missed the midnight pig riding and naked disco ........ best not go any further now ............ and all that's left to say is that the current Howsham Slaloms are built around good clean family fun. See you all there next year!!!