Slalom Coaching

Discuss past and future events
Munchkin

Post by Munchkin » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:07 am

After discussions with John at the Fairnilee slalom I have got it in my head that I (or more likely Mr Munchkin) should really looking at becoming a slalom coach. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where to start and the prerequisites?

If Mr Munckin does it he would be a non-paddling coach. I have no stars (and am reluctant to get any as I really am not interested in paddling an open Canadian and I gather the stars are not set up for slalom C1's) but could do them if I really have to....

Ruth

Post by Ruth » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:55 pm

You can do the new star tests in slalom C1s - you just need to be able to demonstrate a range of strokes with single and double blades.

In some ways its easier to do the water-based UKCC L1 course than the bank-based one as you need to find someone that can deliver the bank-based safety module.

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:55 pm

I would certainly go down the new UKCC L1 route as it is a very good course and has more of the key coaching modules than any other course I have attended, as far as the FSRT this can be delivered as part of the course as either boat or bank based, if you would like to do it before hand we can deliver the FSRT course.

Cheers

Graeme
Paddle fast,,,Paddle safe Yorkshire Canoe Coaching

Slow Paddler

Post by Slow Paddler » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:12 am

The new UKCC level 1 course would be ideal for you. It is a four day training / assessment course and takes you a long way as a coach. It will teach you all about fundamentals, LTPD etc and give you 'safe' places to try out your coaching.

To do the course you need your FSRT before the start date and depending on your course provider you may need your 2* before starting.

You can be a bank based coach without the 2*, or a boat based coach with the 2*. Any good provider would be able to cope with both types of coach on the course.

As said before you can do the 2* assessment 'open boat' part in a C1. Basically the distinction between kayak and canoe is the type of blade being used. Obviously the more boats you have experience in the better. Different types of boats are introduced on both FSRT courses and Level 1 courses.

Regarding slalom, I believe the level 1 module has been trialed, rewritten and is to be trialled again soon, so when ready this would be an additional days course focussing on slalom specific coaching.

We are running a course at our club and people doing the course have the exact same concerns as you do regarding star awards etc. I am finding it so difficult to get slalom paddlers out in open boats. But trust me when you do the level one course you'll be bought into the whole paddlesports idea, not just the slalom.

Munchkin

Post by Munchkin » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:30 am

Thanks for the info people. I am mainly interested in doing the slalom coaching side of things (hey, I should even be able to learn a few tricks for myself!) but have now looked into the General Coaching qualifications.

I guess I will have to get my 2* and (possibly 3*) tests done soon then sign myself up for the coaching course. Hopefully by then the slalom bit will have been rewritten and sorted so I can then do that!

Username

Post by Username » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:20 pm

Munchkin,
I'm a level 2 (level 3 T) coach and I've done my updates for the new UKCC system, I can assess you for the new 2* if you've not got anyone that can at your club, I won't even charge ya cos I like ya that much :) I've got a solo open boat too if you fancy demo'ing your open boat skills...
Cat

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:34 pm

Munchkin wrote:I guess I will have to get my 2* and (possibly 3*) tests done soon then sign myself up for the coaching course. Hopefully by then the slalom bit will have been rewritten and sorted so I can then do that!
If you have not got your new 2* & FSRT done by the course date, you can do the Bank Based L1 course and then convert later to boat based.

Heather is running a 1 & 2* course on the 11/12 October in Doncaster and there is still a place left if you get stuck.

Cheers

Graeme
Paddle fast,,,Paddle safe Yorkshire Canoe Coaching