Town Falls Cancelled

Discuss past and future events
Nick Penfold

Post by Nick Penfold » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:32 pm

Sorry, but repeating message from Rants to make sure:

Town Falls Prem/1 Cancelled

The event this weekend is cancelled because there is no water in the Dee.
Rain is forecast for next week so we hope the British Open can go ahead and the British Open will be a Championship Format ranking Prem event as well. The Div 1 race is definitely cancelled.
There will be a review on Thursday to confirm that the British Open and Prem races are on. Please watch this space!
Please tell your friends before they set off!

NKcanoe

Post by NKcanoe » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:53 pm

Too late for me. I came over on the Ferry on Thursday night.
Ferry booked a few months ago for the Saturday/Sunday race plan. Thankfully the Trwyweryn is free today & Saturday, so some paddling.
Could the decision not have been made earlier in the week, there has been no water in the Dee for weeks and no rain forecast this weekend, so it was never going to rise.
Global warming, climate change, maybe the Town race should be changed to July when you can almost guarantee loads of water!

Look forward to next season.

Nick K.

lesf

Post by lesf » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:15 pm

Shame about the Town Falls race

If you can't face the thought of a free weekend, we can accommodate you at Sowerby Bridge (we have falls, and are in town - plus water)

Les

Dee

Post by Dee » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:32 pm

NKcanoe - I can sympathise with the sentiment. We've ended up paying for accomodation that we are not using because of the late notice.

Should there be a requirement on organisers to judge expected water levels and warn of possible cancellations/cancel by, say, Wednesday before. I don't know the answer to this. I wonder if anyone else has any thoughts?

A few years ago we took the decision to cancel Shepperton div 1 on a Tuesday night (not enough water) and I spent all day Wednesday trying to contact all and sundry. I then spent 3 days with my fingers crossed hoping that the water wouldn't come up again. It didn't, so we made the right decision, but what if it had...?

Is there an answer to this?
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

boatmum

Post by boatmum » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:35 am

It's always going to be a "between a rock and a hard place" scenario for organisers.

I think most competitors understand that you can't be exact when it comes to judging water levels on natural rivers - non of us are omnipotent.

One way forward may be for organisers to publish a status report on the Tuesday before a race - something like "the water levels are very low which may result in race cancellation if they don't improve by the weekend".

Competitors then have to take responsibility for themselves and make a decision.

I think had I known last Tuesday that Llangollen river levels were low I would have cancelled my accommodation and saved myself £75.00. I am hoping that we get a heads up tomorrow re the Open so I can try and save myself £100 deposit! if it's not looking as if its going ahead.

Like many people I suspect, the Welsh races have been the most expensive this year :(