Draft Calendar for 2005 - Sent to organisers for confirmation

Discuss past and future events
Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:53 am

Still draft, may change as things are confirmed.
Buyer beware.
No Nigerian overpayments (thanks Hogboy!)

pdf of calendar :thumbsup:

Total races: Prem 8
Div 1 16
Div 2 35
Div 3 53
Div 4 46
Other 33

Also available on the Proteus web site (www.proteuscc.co.uk).

Ok so the font changed for a few events - so come to the events and tell me!!.

Don't forget the Proteus Winter Slalom - Peterborough. First one THIS SUNDAY :D
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

SteveM
Site Admin

Post by SteveM » Fri Nov 12, 2004 9:03 pm

God, I hope it changes - Div 2 looks rubbish.

No Mile End Mill?
No Serpents?
No Bala?
No point?

Perhaps being a bit melodramatic, but it's looking a bit dull within 3 hours of Leeds/Manchester :(

Steve

James

Post by James » Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:48 pm

well, get promoted then :p

b33ble

Post by b33ble » Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:42 pm

Just had a quick look, but seems to be even less double events than last year. it always disappoints me that we are expected to travel from Scotland down to HPP or Wales for single events. It makes you wonder what the point is? - once you have paid for petrol and spent 6/7 hours travelling to and from slaloms for what equates to 4 minutes competition and only a little more than this of practise. It makes it harder to justify wasting a weekend (especially when you are as bad at slalom as i am!).

Jimi3000

Post by Jimi3000 » Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:13 pm

couldn't agree more. i think it is a complete waste of time, i usually have to get used to the water a bit, so i need a first day even more...

I dont think i'll be going up to scotland for a single, it'd just wasting my time to be honest....

b33ble

Post by b33ble » Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:28 am

There is only one single div 1 in Scotland, which is coupled with a Pan Celtic so a lot of people would be paddling in that anyway, and the other event is a double. It's amazing that there are so few decent slaloms in Scotland any more.

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:09 am

Remember that single or double and whether there is a slalom at all is down to the individual clubs finding a mug, sorry volunteer, to be an organiser.

The Exec only tries to co-ordinate the slaloms so that we do not have two close together on the same weekend. It is the clubs that decide what they want to run (if anything).

So why not talk to organisers/try to get your club to run a decent event in Scotland.
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.

beeble

Post by beeble » Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:47 pm

There are very few clubs now really active in slalom in Scotland. Those who are run the slaloms they can I suppose, but are mainly for lower divisions (Fairnilee and Alva). The slaloms run at Grandtully (by Forth CC and CR Cats) are run on Bank Holiday weekends to ensure decent participation from those competitors from south of the border.
No-one is really interested up here anymore, whereas in England the slalom scene appears to be thriving once again.
Maybe it's time to move down, eh?

davebrads

Post by davebrads » Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:19 pm

Considering the small number of slalom paddlers there are in Scotland, the quality is very good. It must be something in the water. The sad part is that when these guys get to be good, they pretty much have to move south of the border to get the training and coaching they need. This means that there must be a desperate shortage of role models in Scotland, so it is no wonder the sport is dying off. The problem also exists in England, with athletes being dragged off to Nottingham at the first sign of any talent and ambition, but because they are less far from home, there is still potential for maintaining contac with their club.

jim croft

Post by jim croft » Sat Nov 20, 2004 12:49 pm

Try Organising the managed calendar!! and getting clubs to get their events in on time.

I am now working on version 9

Jim

jim croft

Post by jim croft » Sun Nov 21, 2004 3:50 pm

Steve M. Don't Moan about lack of div 2 events get your club to organise one there is a week before the calendar is ratifired :thumbsup:

SteveM
Site Admin

Post by SteveM » Sun Nov 21, 2004 5:39 pm

Point taken! I'm not a club member at the moment. My nearest is Burnley (which is tiny) and in a couple of months my nearest will probably be Leeds (which may be something to work on for next year...)

Steve

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:13 pm

Draft 9 now updated see link above, or proteus site.

Changes highlighted in Yellow, some probably down to me.

Not to late to get your club to apply to run a traditional or double event. . . . :laugh:

10 Prem
17 Div 1
35 Div 2
56 Div 3
47 Div 4 (or there abouts!)

jim croft

Post by jim croft » Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:53 pm

:) This will keep Steve Happy :) Bala May 30 April 1st is now a Div 2 as well subject to ratifcation at the weekend

Jim

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:45 pm

:D Surely you mean March 30 /April 1
Is that a 2/3/4 then? Not likely to be very big if it is :ohwell: