DRAFT, PROVISIONAL Managed Calendar 2006 - Thanks to Jim Croft for his work

Discuss past and future events

Post by guest » Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:40 pm

Like the Fairnilee change in May - brill!! :) :) :)

jim croft

Post by jim croft » Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:23 pm

:( This year's Calendar has driven me potty still clubs wanting to move events or get some else to move.

Thanks to the clubs that got things in on time.

Any offers of Help with the 2007 Calendar!! :angry:
Please rember the calendar will not be finalised until the ACM

Jim

tonka

Post by tonka » Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:34 am

Can the double prem at Grandtully be moved back into the school holidays especially if it is going to be a junior selection event

jim croft

Post by jim croft » Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:11 am

:cool: What you should bear in mind with the Managed Calendar is
1: It is the club that submits the Division/s & Dates they want to run their event.

2: The International panel decide the selection dates.

3: School holidays vary around the UK.

The Calendar is impossible to suit all of the people all the time but we do try and as I have said before if you want to have a go then put your name forward,
Jim

tonka

Post by tonka » Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:33 am

Yes but is not agreed by a democratically elected comittee

Post by Guest » Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:47 am

I think looking at the calendar that it has evolved OK over the last week. There is a good spread of events developed from the first draft.
There was problems when the selection was Easther weekend, and some will have problems with the week after, there is no winning, but schools won't be back until the 24th. :) :) :)

tonka

Post by tonka » Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:16 am

Maybe so in your area but those with greater distance to travel I.E the south. Start school on the Tuesday after Easter Monday

Anne

Post by Anne » Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:37 am

What exactly do you meam by that last comment?

ElaineF

Post by ElaineF » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:11 pm

In most of the South of England the Easter Holidays start on Friday 31st March and Schools go back on Tuesday 18th April .. so the draft calendar as it stands presents us with a problem as we'd obviously like to be in Tully for all the races.

Dee

Post by Dee » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:55 pm

What ever happens someone will be unhappy - If the double prem moves to the Easter weekend then what happens to the div 1/2?

Just a thought - I have no idea of how selection races work or even the age categories so this may be totally "stupid" - Do all the Junior categories for selection races have to be run at a prem? Looking at prem rankings, at the start of next year (with no end of season promotions) there will only be 2 J16s in prem (8 J18s), so perhaps J16 selection could be run alongside the div 1 race, at least for Grandtully - this would save a number of people two trips to Scotland (good for the environment). For the two J16s in prem then at least the selection would be in the school hols (there must be very very few schools not off for Easter weekend!). Of course this wouldn't allow cross-comparison with J18 results - is this required?
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

Post by Guest » Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:56 pm

Unfortunately its a fact of life that counties around the country have different half terms and holidays. You win some you gain some over a school year. Event organisers can only do theor best. The problem isn't the event it is when the selections take place. So those who decide when to decide when they want to do delectiond that need to decide what's appropriate.

Post by Guest » Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:57 pm

Opps, win some and loose some!

Anne

Post by Anne » Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:05 pm

This problem has only just come to light. The international panel are aware and are looking st hols dates around the country, if there are more areas where schools are back than not then it may be possible to re juggle the dates however I promise nothing as the calendar is very complicated!

Teach

Post by Teach » Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:22 pm

Coming from inside the education system, every pupil must be taught 190 days a year. There are lots of permitations on the theme of term/holiday dates! I suspect it will be impossible to please everyone. Plus there is little chance of slipping off early on a Friday anymore with the government getting schools to check closely on reasons for absence.

VivienneM

Post by VivienneM » Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:27 am

Are the Tees races in March because of tides?
I think that so soon before selection most juniors will want to practice at selection sites. We will have to think twice about coming to the Tees race then.
We so enjoy the October Tees run - great site, new water, - a thoroughly enjoyable end of season race and week end. Dates 7th 8th and 14th 15th October still seem to be free or maybe swap with Landysull.
What does anyone else think?