Peterborough Slalom - Show teh ** they cannott burn us out!!

Discuss past and future events
Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:41 pm

Well folks its only a month to the first Peterborough Slalom after the fire. Come along and show the unprintables that burning us down makes no difference we will still be here and paddling.

Thanks to the genererosity of many people we will have boats to lend again, a relaxed approach to the event, concentrating on fun and camping right next to the weir.

If you have not been to Orton Mere, or not been for a while, why not come over and shwo the flag. Lots of Judges prizes, some commestible other useful.

See you there :D
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Sat May 06, 2006 5:21 pm

A fortnight to go . . . . The first start list is up on the Proteus web site

So please add this to your diary. Come and gawp at the ashes, enter the event, judge the event, or try another class.

Despite the fire, thanks to club members and a set of VERY generous donations, we can still offer you boats to try in any class. We will try to help you as well. Just can't offer much assistance for guys to enter K1W.
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.

Seedy Paddler

Post by Seedy Paddler » Sun May 07, 2006 8:21 pm

I take it that is unless you speak with a local accent, smell of petrol and have soot staind in which case a fairly crude sex change may be on offer !!!!
:p

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Mon May 08, 2006 8:08 am

No we will still be friendly. . . you will probably have burns as well, so to treat those we will immerse you in cold water.
If we do not quite get you out in time you may have hypothermia and need warming (over a fire).
If we do not stop in time you may have heat exhaustion and need cooling down in cold water.
If we do not quite get you out in time you may have hypothermia and need warming (over a fire).
If we do not stop in time you may have heat exhaustion and need cooling down in cold water.
:angry:
get the idea?

Seedy Paddler

Post by Seedy Paddler » Mon May 08, 2006 8:26 pm

:)

Silly of me - I should have thought the perpetrators of that act are not in need of such an operation but more the waste material.

i.e. No B**ls and merely a bit of a p***k

Regards

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Mon May 15, 2006 8:36 am

into the final week, and the web hosting has gone flakey! :( Good isnt it.

So I have set up a mirror site Here for when/if the site fails to load.

Not to late to send me an entry (reducing the typing of start lists on the day). The startlist is on teh proteus site (and mirror) and will be updated whenever I get more entries.

Note start Saturday noon, Sunday 11am.

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Wed May 17, 2006 8:10 am

RATS, now the site is not updating. The entries continue to grow, and I have been updating teh start list daily, but. . . from here it still says 13 May.

Rest assured the entries are growing, and the event will go ahead. Course erection from 9 on Friday, then free practice until start on Saturday. Sunday event starts at 11 to get everyone off home earlier.

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Sat May 20, 2006 7:20 am

Its TODAY!! so why are you reading this?? come on over, the course is up, the weathers . . well last nights forecast had us not getting too much and only light at that. People paddling yesterday afternoon seemed to like the course.

So come on over and
ADVERT We are, of course talking about THE event of the forthcoming weekend, the Orton Mere slalom in Peterborough!

Roll up, Roll up, see the weir featured in Octopussy and battle the 'raging' torrent. Gasp in amazement at the club ashes, and say rude things about the arsonists. Be amazed that young prize winners can manage to carry the loads of 'stuff' they get as prizes, and at the sheer number of prize winners. Enjoy the canteen, mixing freshly cooked food, commercial sweets and home made muffins, fruit cake etc. Laugh at the pathetic attempts of the organiser to get his hands on your money, then recoil in amazement that it actually worked!

Enjoy yourself safe in the knowledge that your tent can be as close as 40 yards from the start line.

OR to put it another way, just come along and have a good time.

Seedy Paddler

Post by Seedy Paddler » Sat May 20, 2006 12:44 pm

Sorry I can't be there to support CP but wish you all the best - show the Arses (is that how you spell someone who sets fires to things??) you won't be beaten.

Need to catch up with the family and procees all the paperwork from Seaton this weekend.

Regards

Seedy Paddler

briman

Post by briman » Mon May 22, 2006 10:11 am

Many thanks to Colin and everyone involved in the Peterborough Slalom this weekend.
As ever it was a very enjoyable and friendly event. Well done Proteus, you've certainly shown those scumbag arsonists!

Cheers,

Brian

Jeff

Post by Jeff » Mon May 22, 2006 10:59 am

It was a great weekend, as usual the prizes were unusual - the winners receiving umbrellas!
The course seemed a little tricker than usual, or perhaps I'm just getting too old for this lark. I suffered the indignity of lending my boat to an 11 year old girl, then watching her beat me!
Hope to see you all again in July.

Kate

Post by Kate » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:57 pm

Just a reminder that the second Peterborough slalom af the year is on 15th & 16th of July.

As ever the plan will be to start first runs at noon on saturday, & 11am on sunday.

Hope to see lot's of you there

Kate

Kate

Post by Kate » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:51 am

Well, so far the weather's looking good for this weekend, & the weir at Orton Mere is small & friendly....

... so it's looking very promising for this weekends slalom.

The course is being erected on friday, and practice will be available from as soon as its complete on friday (sometime mid afternoon all being well), & both mornings up 'till the start of 1st runs.

1st runs starting at noon on Saturday & 11am on Sunday.

Hope to see lots of you there.

Kate

PS If you haven't yet sent in an entry I will take them on the day (up 'till shortly before the start of first runs). If you want to be really helpful though, you can email me the details (slalom@proteuscc.co.uk) & I'll add you to the start list in advance (saving a little bit of time on the day), so I'll only need an entry card & entry money from you on the day.

Kate

Post by Kate » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:52 pm

The course is now up, the weir is still behaving itself (a small friendly wave) & I finally seem to have succeeded in getting some good weather for a slalom I'm organising.....

.... so why not come to Orton Mere Div 3/4 this weekend?

Hope to see lots of you there

Kate