Worlds medals!! - Well done team

Discuss past and future events
Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:33 pm

Bronze team medal for the C1s, David Florence, Dan Goddard and Stuart McIntosh. Well done boys!

Campbell 10th in semis, Rich 15th! Lets hope for turbocharged second runs/ good C2 runs
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

chauffeur

Post by chauffeur » Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:01 pm

Bronze for Campbell too!!! 10th to 3rd - brill second run.

Vicky

Post by Vicky » Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:24 pm

looks like fiona gets silver! :) (based on live board results so maybe not confirmed :/)

congrats everyone x

SteveM
Site Admin

Post by SteveM » Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:36 pm

Saw this on TV this afternoon. Fantastic seeing the team getting medals :)

But was Campbell robbed of a well-earned Gold? :O

Steve

Edited By SteveM on 1154889429

chauffeur

Post by chauffeur » Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:55 pm

The Italian looked to half head at least one of the gates and the French paddler's boat seemed to touch the pole.
It is easy sat at home watching the video footage, clearly the judges didn't have the same view.

Dutch Geezer

Post by Dutch Geezer » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:01 pm

Some great results for GB Canoeing, commiserations to those paddlers whose luck deserted them on the day, including Helen Barnes whose paddle snapped.

I would include Campbell in this category, the video evidence is pretty clear and I think he deserved gold.

Surely though, this proves that relying on Judges to make split second judgement decisions at this level of competition is no longer acceptable. With the technology which is available today, there must be a way to take video which can be used to back up the judges decision.

There must also be a mechanism to allow protest from other competitors, after all neither the Silver or Gold medalists are going to complain about the lack of penalties.

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:35 pm

Dutch Geezer wrote:Surely though, this proves that relying on Judges to make split second judgement decisions at this level of competition is no longer acceptable. With the technology which is available today, there must be a way to take video which can be used to back up the judges decision.

There must also be a mechanism to allow protest from other competitors, after all neither the Silver or Gold medalists are going to complain about the lack of penalties.
We have been saying this for years, it should be available to all competitors at all levels.

And yes we agree that there should be a means to protest other paddlers result's, this has also appeared in other threads as well i.e. boat weight.
Paddle fast,,,Paddle safe Yorkshire Canoe Coaching

Anne

Post by Anne » Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:34 pm

Protests were put in - many of them and not just from the GB team, at one point the Italian was given the 50 and later in the evening it was removed again!!! Those of us there know Campbell was the real winner and many people would agree with that but unfortunalely it will never appear on his list of acheivements.

Congrats to Campbell on his handling of the sitiuation, made doubly difficult by having his bag stolen with anything of any importance in it!

It was great to be there, the team worked well together with support for those left in the racing from most of those eliminated wonderful!

And as for support from friends and families the atmosphere was great, most of us lost out voices and some of us even appeared briefly on television!!

Back to reality now and Euros organisation!!!!!!!!

katonas

Post by katonas » Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:36 pm

Wow, team GB shows the world !

Campbell Walsh's view:
http://campbellwalsh.com/news.php?page=104

BBC :
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_s ... 249502.stm

It gets a bit tiring seeing canoeing coming under 'other sports' all the time.

I've submitted a thread on the BBC message board under minority sports calling for more TV coverage of canoe slalom. If it appears, please add your voice.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mbfivelive/F2148577

The French website:
http://www.eauxvives.org/slalom/videos/
has plenty of slalom from eurosport, sport channels. Does the BBC have a stricter copyright preventing the WC in Prague, Tully (BBC2 Scotland), other events from being posted on the slalom UK website ?

katonas

Post by katonas » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:51 pm

Thanks 'mad kayaker' and 'canoe mum' for your support on the fivelive site. Registering with the BBC site isn't difficult, but maybe you could tell me how you managed to post your responses. I can't seem to find the 'reply button'.

I put the same discussion on the 'points of view' board and there isn't much support from non-canoeists.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna....9002364

???

brez1

Post by brez1 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:04 pm

There was a 'reply to message' button. It isn't there now - just a 'complain about the message'. - same on the points of view forum.

katonas

Post by katonas » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:18 am

Maybe you can only post during normal working hours ?!
I can't believe the responses comparing canoeing to curling. :angry:

Dave Royle

Post by Dave Royle » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:01 pm

Having now seen the video of the three medal winners, I am surprised how little debate there has been on these boards about results. The french eauxvives website has 14 or more pages of comments which mostly seem to support Campbell as unfortunate in not receiving the gold.

Judging, as we all know, is very difficult and with the rules not allowing video evidence, the judges have to make their decisions based on what they saw (or by the time 10 hours has elapsed what the think they saw). When you see the video a few times, there would be no doubt about what decisions should of been made.

The water touch would of been difficult to see in real time, perhaps. A splash did come immediately after the pole was hit. As for the fifty for the Italian, the only doubt I had was which one he should of had. From the camera angle I would of given him fifties on both the breakout and the folowing gate.

At Internationals of high standing, video could be available to clarify those judging decisions. It would have to be independant and of all competitors. For domestic races it couldn't be used unless video was available for all. It certainly wouldn't be any good having Jonnie's dad turning up with his camera to defend his son.

The worst part of this is the confusion it gives to those watching our sport from the confort of thetheir living room. Or is it? Does a bit of scandal sell? Everyone loves to criticise football refs don't they.

davebrads

Post by davebrads » Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:53 pm

Video of the worlds

ps. Stu Mac's looked like a 50 to me