Llangollen races - Help needed

Discuss past and future events
Anne

Post by Anne » Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:53 pm

It's that time of year again where I am nagging everyone to help with the running of the 2 weekends at llangollen! All is going reasonably well - all we need is some rain so there is some water in the river!

Help is particularly needed in the following areas:

...........Course erection on both Fridays
...........Running out comms, again both Fridays.
...........Judging - if not enough ALL paddlers will have a stint!
...........Judges clerks
...........Dismantelling course etc at the end if the
International

Any volunteers please e-mail me.

Dee

Post by Dee » Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:22 am

What time are you planning to errect course?
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

Anne

Post by Anne » Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:31 am

It will depend on volunteers! the more we have the quicker it will happen! So far no one has volunteered to help with course erection. Should start however at 9 or 10am

Dee

Post by Dee » Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:54 am

We won't be there until about 2pm, but if you're still struggling at that time then we'll come and help on arrival!

Will the course be open to paddlers in the afternoon?
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

chauffeur

Post by chauffeur » Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:26 pm

It is an England Pan Celtic selection race so really there is no practice runs I expect. If free time was allowed it would need supervision.

davebrads

Post by davebrads » Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:51 pm

I will probably get there for about 2.00.

Anne

Post by Anne » Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:23 pm

All help greatly appreciated it is quite a difficult site to put the course up so the more the merrier and the easier the job! Antone out there can help for the day????????

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:54 pm

Just a word of warning, there has been a lot of paddlers cars broken into in the area so make sure that all valuables are locked up out of sight.
Paddle fast,,,Paddle safe Yorkshire Canoe Coaching

Dee

Post by Dee » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:32 pm

Shame about the "no practice" for div 1 paddlers!

Still at least we can look at the course!

Thanks for break in warning

fishy

Post by fishy » Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:40 am

what time will the offical pratice runs be for the div 1 on the saturday start?

chauffeur

Post by chauffeur » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:09 pm

Dee, there is practcie for most Div 1's just no practice for anyone going for Pan Celtic selection.

Fishy, you wouldn't get a time until nearer the date, it is 3 weeks away yet!

Anne

Post by Anne » Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:56 am

It is unlikely there will be free practice for Div 1's as safety cover is an issue.

As you say can't give a time for free practice until entries in and they are very slow in coming!!!!!!!

John Sturgess

Post by John Sturgess » Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:27 am

I'm sorry, but I did not understand Chauffeur's original comment about practice: although that has now been clarified.

1) I cannot find any statement by England Canoe Slalom specifying no practice for candidates for England Selection - I e-mailed for clarification after the Washburn but received no answer.
Some people may have looked at the Rules, found Selection Races, and assumed that this is one.
But Rule 22.1.1 makes it clear that a Race is either a Selection Race or a Ranking Race: it cannot be both. So the Llangollen Div 1 is not a Selection Race, but a Ranking Race whose results an outside body is using for Selection purposes. Which means that the Organisers do not have the discretion to forbid any paddlers from taking practice runs; although they can forbid additional practice runs, and free practice.
Therefore ‘no practice for England Selection paddlers’ has to be a private arrangement between England Canoe Slalom and the paddlers concerned. This would require, presumably, some form of registration for Selection. Is it all worth it?

2) Even if England Selection paddlers are not allowed to practice, why should that affect:
- Welsh paddlers
- Scottish paddlers
- English paddlers who have no interest in England Selection
- English paddlers who as a result of the Washburn and HPP races no longer have a mathematical chance of selection
- English paddlers who, IF GB Selection rules are held to apply, will be retrospectively excluded because they paddled two classes at the Washburn and/or HPP (certainly 3 paddlers paddled K1 and C2, and 1 paddled C1 and C2)
- English paddlers who wish to prioritise the last chance this year of promotion to Prem over the possibility of England Selection

By my reckoning that leaves about 4/5 paddlers. Given how many Div 1 paddlers have never paddled Llangollen, I would find it unreasonable to deny practice on this pretext.

This lack of clarification on the selection rules has caused a lot of ill-feeling: parents accusing other peoples’ children of immorality is not something we want in this sport. The Yorkshire Regional Slalom Committee discussed at its meeting on Saturday September 23rd making its already submitted bid for a Prem/1 next September conditional on a guarantee that the event will NOT be used for England Selection next year.

fishy

Post by fishy » Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:58 am

Anne wrote:As you say can't give a time for free practice until entries in and they are very slow in coming!!!!!!!

there should be one being hand delievered sometime this week

Anne

Post by Anne » Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:09 pm

Still in desperate need of extra help to put up the course on Friday 20th October, so far only volunteers are x 3 from World Class plus Chris Masters and a couple of people coming about 2pm. Not enough!! Come on folks this is your race!