PETERBOROUGH WINTER SLALOM Nov 19th - One Day Fun Slalom be there or miss out!

Discuss past and future events
Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:43 am

Yes Folks it's THAT time again'
the slalom season is drawing to an end, days are getting shorter, and nights are drawing in. Just the time to think about either trying that slalom thing, or winter training.

SO. . . it's shameless publicity time from CP :D

Sundays November 19 and December 17
Sees the return of the one day Proteus Winter Slaloms. With a course designed with beginners in mind, But with options for those who know what they are doing to shave a second or two. We have had verbal entries from all levels so far, absolute beginners through to senior British team members.
Come along and try the sport and talk to premier paddlers, they are human (despite the rumours) and will encourage you and offer advice.
We have prizes in most age groups/divisions and run to normal div 2-4 rules, with one exception. If you fall in accidentally you can have a FREE hot drink.
We put the course up on Saturday (from 10 am if anyone wants to help) so it is open for practice whenever you want to turn up. We aim to drag ourselves from nice warm beds and be there from 9am, with control open about 10:30, and first runs at 'the crack of noon'.

Those of you that know me, know that I am as interested in your money as in you having a good time. (OK, so they are the same, have a good time and you will come back, and enter AGAIN.) Entry fees have been frozen again so remain at an unbelievably good value £3 for juniors div 4 and below, £4 for adults div 4 and below, and £5 for those ranked in division 3 or above. AND there is a discount of £1 per boat for second and third entries.

Thanks to generous donations, and friendly club paddlers, we can offer boats to allow you to enter in any class. (Just less than before as we have to bring them all down, so you may be sharing boats). :p

How to find us.

No club building as yet, but the site has been cleared and the weir looks good. :D
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

Kev.S

Post by Kev.S » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:02 pm

Call that publicity CP!!

You didn't even mention the chocolate muffins> :p
To err is human, if you really want to screw up, use a computer!!

Carlr

Post by Carlr » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:24 pm

We will be there how could we miss a good fun day, Hopefully we will see you on the water this time (No excuses please).

Shelly

Post by Shelly » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:28 pm

Make sure you have hot chocolate ready - I will be booking a hot drink or two (do you get one for each time you fall in accidentally?).

Will be there with my K1 and C2 (if I can drag my partner out of her nice warm bed!)...

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:57 am

CP, I can not beleive you have to advertise, your fame at running a good event in the cold winter months preceeds you :;):
Paddle fast,,,Paddle safe Yorkshire Canoe Coaching

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:38 pm

<Blushes at the compliments> :blush:
Well thank you all for the nice comments, and the opportunity to get this back to the top of the postings :D

Shelly, for you of course you can have a drink per accidental capsizal - have to say accidental coz theres wily C1 paddelrs around who have no scuples about trying to get free stuff.. Or is that me?

Carl, you cannot seriously expect someone of my tender years to be able to run the event AND have the energy to practice imprecision drifting round a course in your wake? If only I could still do a run, rather than the gentle amble that my paddling has descended too. :(

As for chocolate muffins - I have stopped them. They do not sell as well as DOUBLE CHOCOLATE Muffins, besides I have not yet convinced Mandy that she should make cakes and Muffins and buscuits and. . . . Watch this space for announcements and further blatenet attempts to get everyone to notice and come to the event.

Did I say that the event of November will be on the 19th in Peterborough? I did? oh well see you there then :)
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.

Dave Royle

Post by Dave Royle » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:12 pm

Colin

You forgot to mention which day of the week it is.

<pub alert> The Stone Mini Slaloms are always on a Sunday and this year they will be on 21 Jan 07, 04 Feb 07 and 25 Feb 07. Sorry to hi-jack the Ad<\pub alert>

Have a good one Colin.

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:17 pm

So no one is going to defend me and point out that the first post said the events are on Sunday??

Oops did that put this back on everyone's 'new posts' list? Accidental really. . . .:D

tell you what why not come over on SUNDAY WEEK (19th Novemeber) and tell me why this annoys you, or tell me why it doesn't, just come on over to Peterborough 'Jewel of the East'.

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:33 am

Only a week to go!!!
I am reliably informed that the prizes this year will include a choice of iced fruit OR SPONGE cakes. Just for those who do not like fruit. But it will be on a first awarded basis, so the last prize will have to take what is left. Sorry.

{jinx mode on}
The weir is behaving, with a noce wave (at the moment), the weatehr is not too bad, the sun is shining.
{Jinx mode off}

The Weather forecast is for 11 degrees, not too much wind, but showers. So we will have to get the gazebos out to provide some shelter, but it should be good.
(Just realised I will have to change that link every day, if I forget, you will have to select the correct day, sorry) :O

BE there, or miss out

Carlr

Post by Carlr » Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:17 pm

Surely with all your helpers you will be able to do at least 1 run Colin, you may even find someone to carry your boat to the start and back again (just to save some energy). See on Sunday !!!!!!!!!

Dee

Post by Dee » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:17 pm

I've heard of the "crack of dawn" but not the "crack of noon". Is that when it doesn't get light until mid-day?
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:44 am

Crack of noon - thats when I wake up, think about a run and realise that running control, and typing things inot the computer are a good excuse - or used to be until more people worked out how easy it is. :D
See you all Sunday

Kate

Post by Kate » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:05 pm

CP, I don't think any more of that excuse than the ones you came up with on tuesday & wednesday! I'm sure you can come up with some better ones - which I will ignore anyway & make sure you get to paddle :p

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:13 am

ITS TODAY!!!! Just come on over and have fun!!

Look forward to seeing you! :p

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:42 pm

Thanks to all of you who came over for the event. Sorry that the printer was sulking and would not play with the generator, so we could not print start lists or results.
Then the water. . . weeks of a small (40cm) front wave, then it came up to a FUN level, somewhat too big for a winter slalom. :blush:

So results have been looked at and are now available onThe Proteus Web Page

We WILL sort out printing for the next event Sunday 17 December, and hopefully the water wll play so we can have a simpler course. Watch this space for more shameless publicity and come along.

If you are busy then, do not forget the Stone series in the new year