more div 2 events

yes
50%
no
50%

Total votes: 16

mole

Post by mole » Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:07 pm

after a seson of paddling div 2 it seems like there are less events. i might be cause it is in the middle! :angry:
moly boy who cant spel

John Sturgess

Post by John Sturgess » Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:54 pm

Mole - there are nasty people out there wanting to reduce the number even more - so if you want to be able to race as often as you want to race, get out there and campaign for more, not less

:(

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:27 pm

mole wrote:after a seson of paddling div 2 it seems like there are less events. i might be cause it is in the middle! :angry:
Yes but I thought you had been prometed to Div 1 at Sowerby?

There are Div 2 races available unfortunatly you have to be prepared to travel and I agree with John that there should be more Div 2 races on suitable water to prepare paddlers for Div 1 competition.
Paddle fast,,,Paddle safe Yorkshire Canoe Coaching

katonas

Post by katonas » Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:22 pm

If judges were allowed to gain ranking points by comparing their time to the winning time eg. div2 judge at a prem event paddling under ?115% winning time gets 1000, under ?125% gets 600 (someone cleverer than me could make up the figures). As long as it was made hard to gain such points the organisers wouldn't be overwhelmed by div2 judges, but div2 paddlers would be competing on prem and div1 courses (how many more div2 events would that effectively make?). It would be possible to miss out div 2 courses altogether... :p

66-1146487544

Post by 66-1146487544 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:20 pm

There are already 32 Div 2 races and only 34 weekends in the slalom season, so that makes it 1 double event every other weekend.

How many do you need?

I agree with John though that we shouldn't be reducing this number, as we need more Div 2/3 competitors in slalom - not less.

Anne

Post by Anne » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:26 am

There is some logic as to why this is being suggested (and it is at present only a suggestion!). There is a need I feel, and I think agreed by the majority that we need to stop 2,3,4 event as a course suitable for div 4 is certainly not suitable for div 2 and vica verca. 2,3,4's are generally run to increase revenue. If we stop this it means less competitors so if the number of races on the calendar are reduced the numbers attending (hopefully) will increase as there are less to choose from.

Not sure how clear I've made that!

However there is also the train of thought that if clubs are happy and willing to run events covering only 2 divisions, without the number of events being reduced we should let them. However there is a risk of lower income unless that club diversifies a bit, eg by bringing back team events (no levies paid on them) or running a slalom sprint or an open event.

As boat sherpa says there are 32 events on the calendar, with less they could be more competitive as hopefully more paddler will attend as less to choose from. But I certainly wouldn't advocate more!!!!!!!!!

alanadams

Post by alanadams » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:33 am

Anne wrote:There is some logic as to why this is being suggested (and it is at present only a suggestion!). There is a need I feel, and I think agreed by the majority that we need to stop 2,3,4 event as a course suitable for div 4 is certainly not suitable for div 2 and vica verca. 2,3,4's are generally run to increase revenue. If we stop this it means less competitors so if the number of races on the calendar are reduced the numbers attending (hopefully) will increase as there are less to choose from.
To make this financially viable for the clubs running the events, certainly at expensive sites, the number of entrants in each division has to rise, to compensate for the reduced number of divisions. Or alternatively the admin fees have to be severely reduced.
At the Nene the split is roughly Water costs 600, admin fees 450, trophies 250, profit less than 100. This with 120 entrants, or whom the majority are Div 2. At 100 entrants we make a loss. Without Div 2 we cannot break even. We cannot take more entrants on the Sunday because the Nene Centre needs to run rafts to provide their income, and in any case people would not want the event to continue to 6pm. We could take more on Saturday, by starting earlier, thereby cutting down practice time and requiring entries before the day of the competition.
I do wonder what effect changing from 2/3/4 to 2/3 would be. I suspect that some of the larger groups come to us because they can bring paddlers from many divisions - they might not bring their div 2 paddlers if they could not bring Div 4. I still think we need less divisions as a first step, so that each division is bigger.

Carlr

Post by Carlr » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:28 pm

Surely if you have less Div 2 slaloms the theory is you will get more entries, some Div 2 slaloms have seen very low entries.

Post by 123 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:03 pm

Thier should probably be more div 2 on bigger water

ninja

Post by ninja » Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:41 am

what about more div 1 2's for thos wishing to get promoted id rather get promoted somewhere i new i would be raceing in div1 . anyway mole your in prem1 wi canoe crazy :angry:
nobody's perfect.................................................i'm nobody

canoecrazy

Post by canoecrazy » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:10 pm

ninja wrote:what about more div 1 2's for thos wishing to get promoted id rather get promoted somewhere i new i would be raceing in div1 . anyway mole your in prem1 wi canoe crazy :angry:
(cough,cough) well we do race c1 and k1 you know

phil-cooke

Post by phil-cooke » Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:38 pm

well i do belive hpp is one that is div2 and div1 and prem standard tbh
erm grandtully isnt that a div 2/1
i do believe there are a couple just need to pull you socks up and look in the calender lol
plus you go down hpp alot so your alright there mate :D