Symonds Yat - bringing slalom back to an old site ?

Discuss past and future events
katonas

Post by katonas » Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:51 pm

Is there any truth in a rumour I heard that the BCU are trying to negotiate a return to slalom at Symonds Yat with permission to put up gates at certain times ?

Are there any paddlers who paddle at Symonds Yat (?name of club) still interested in slalom ?

:p

canoecrazy

Post by canoecrazy » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:11 pm

is symmonds yat massive?????????????? or is it small.......................

jke

Post by jke » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:37 pm

katonas wrote:Is there any truth in a rumour I heard that the BCU are trying to negotiate a return to slalom at Symonds Yat with permission to put up gates at certain times ?

Are there any paddlers who paddle at Symonds Yat (?name of club) still interested in slalom ?

:p

katonas, it sounds an ideal site for your club to run. I was with Gloucester in the 70's when we did Symonds Yat. Not the easiest of courses to put up!

John Kent
John Kent

katonas

Post by katonas » Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:35 pm

Unfortunately there is not much interest in slalom in Hereford Kayak Club, which is why I was hoping to find others nearby. Its only grade 1-2, and with the difficulty in setting up a course, I can see why it has dissappeared. :(

frontman2

Post by frontman2 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:43 pm

I paddle at the Yat regularly and you could hold a very good slalom on it at the moment. Having trained there often over the years, I agree it can be a pain to set up but no worse than many other sites. It's not difficult water, but there are some choice surfin' waves there at the mo'. You could put up a very tough course there if you wanted to.

Hope this is not just a rumour. It's a really nice place to paddle.

Ali W

Post by Ali W » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:57 pm

Yes it is true that there are plans to bring back slalom to Symonds Yat.

Part of the development work that is going on is to have the ability to place slalom fixings up for competitions and practices.

I also know that when the work is finally complete one of the ideas to open up the rapids is to have a slalom on the site as I've already been approached about running one though this was about two years ago now.

For more details about what's going on check out the Symonds Yat Preservation Groups Website. I know things may seem like they're going slow but that's mainly due to the large amount of fundraising that has to go on. If your club is local to the area or you would just like to help out think about sponsoring a rock.

Ali